New 1/48 A-6 Intruder Decals - Vietnam Pt.2 & Libya / Iraq

With the 1/48 T-28 sheet coming shortly after the 1/32 one, I decided to continue scaling down the other current 1/32 sheets to the smaller scales.

The first two completed will be 1/48 and cover the two other A-6 Intruder sheets, they will cover the same subjects that were on the 1/32 sheets.

Plan next is 1/72 or scale down the A-4 Skyhawk sheets.

Printed by Cartograf.

48-006

Intruders from the Sea - USN/USMC A-6A/A-6B/KA-6D Intruders in the Vietnam War

Covers 16 aircraft, including two A-6B Mod 0 Iron Hands and two KA-6D tankers. Three CAG schemes are also covered - including the "patience my fool" vulture marked VMA-224 CAG scheme. Many of the schemes covered can be modeled using the single release, although stencils are provided for one full airframe (more can be purchased separately).

VMA(AW)-224 Bengals - last of the four USMC A-6 squadrons in Vietnam (the three land based USMC squadrons were covered in the first AOA release):

USS Coral Sea 1971-72 (5 options - 3x A-6A including CAG scheme, 1x A-6B, & 1x KA-6D)

VA-95 Green Lizards - deployed in 1973, supporting Operation End Sweep (mining clean up) along North Vietnam and had some rather large squadron markings:

USS Coral Sea 1973 (2 options - 2x A-6A, including CAG scheme)

VA-165 Boomers - four out of five of their combat cruises covered (final cruise in 72-73 isn't covered, but it resembled scheme used in 71-72):

USS Ranger 1967-68 (1 option - A-6A)

USS Ranger 1968-69 (1 option - A-6A)

USS America 1970 (1 option - A-6A)

USS Constellation 1971-72 (1 option - A-6A CAG scheme)

VA-196 Main Battery - four out of five of their combat cruises covered (first cruise in 67-68 isn't covered, but it resembled scheme used in their second cruise):

USS Constellation 1968-69 (1 option - A-6A)

USS Ranger 1969-70 (1 option - A-6A)

USS Enterprise 1971-72 (2 options - 1x A-6A & x1 A-6B)

USS Enterprise 1972-73 (1 option - KA-6D)

(Click image for larger view)

COVER-48006.jpg

48006a.jpg 48006b.jpg

48006-1.jpg 48006-2.jpg

48006-3.jpg 48006-4.jpg

48-007

The Intruders' Sandbox - USN/USMC A-6E Intruders in Libyan Strikes & Desert Storm

Relatively smallish sheet covering 5 squadrons but options for 7 aircraft. One from all three of the squadrons from the 1986 Libya strikes (VA-34, -55, & -85) and also two squadrons from Desert Storm (VA-35 & VMA(AW)-533). The DS ones there are two aircraft options for each, the alternate ones are aircraft with the early unused perforated brakes to allow some options for swapping parts between the A and E kits.

COVER-48007.jpg

48007.jpg

48007-1.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

Thanks for putting the APAM lightning bolts on the sheet. You may want to consider selling these separately in all scales 1/144 through 1/32, I know I'd buy some in 1/72.

Great sheets!

I hope you will scale down to 1/72,especially the Vietnam one!

I've bought two sheets of "Intruder from the beach" in 72nd and I don't have another A-6 other that the planned Navy one ...but I learn from the past to not loose again great product like your's!

And now go with the Scooter sheets,and please ,scale down also the technical stencils sheet,I need at least 6 copies!

Gianni

Best news I have gotten in a while! Thank you for doing these sheets in 1/48th. I hope that means more 48th sheets down the road. Like A-4's? Just saying..... Thank you again for doing these sheets.

Jim Root

We need VA-196 decals from The 1972 USS Independence cruise. When they were commanded by Commander Frank Camparelli...........

Interestingly enough I have them done. I had originally planned to do a 1/32, 1/48, 1/72 all on one combo sheet. I never got around to finishing the 1/72 version, these is where I had left it:

WIP.jpg

Where can I purchase these sheets from?

From www.aoadecals.com - but these two sheets aren't available to order yet.

I hope that means more 48th sheets down the road. Like A-4's?

Yes. I'll either do these two A-6 sheets in 1/72 first or will do the A-4 sheets in 1/48 first, then 1/72. Depends what I'm in the mood to tackle. It changes frequently.

Edited by ziggyfoos

Yes. I'll either do these two A-6 sheets in 1/72 first or will do the A-4 sheets in 1/48 first, then 1/72. Depends what I'm in the mood to tackle. It changes frequently.

Looking forward to some 1/48th Vietnam era A-4 sheets in the future then. Thank you for doing the A-6 sheets in 1/48th. They are appreciated and needed.

Jim Root

We need VA-196 decals from The 1972 USS Independence cruise. When they were commanded by Commander Frank Camparelli...........

Hi,

What is that cruise about? Is the "1972" a typo? As can be seen on the profile in the first post on this thread, VA-196 made a 1971-72 and 1972-73 cruise with the USS Enterprise.

Did they do a USS Independence cruise in between? :jaw-dropping: That would have been very hard.

But there must have been something memorable since you're keen on it and Steve has them drawn up.

Cheers, Stefan.

The "Independence" markings are from the movie Flight of the Intruder (1991). Better than Top Gun! (because it has A-6s in it)

They were A-6E TRAMs w/o the turret installed and had some white and high viz markings painted on them to make them look more like from Vietnam (including poor national insignias). The aircraft were actually from VA-165 but painted up as VA-196.

Edited by ziggyfoos

The "Independence" markings are from the movie Flight of the Intruder (1991). Better than Top Gun! (because it has A-6s in it)

They were A-6E TRAMs w/o the turret installed and had some white and high viz markings painted on them to make them look more like from Vietnam (including poor national insignias). The aircraft were actually from VA-165 but painted up as VA-196.

Thanks, Steve.

Ah, that 1972 USS Independence cruise. :doh:

It must have been since the time in the cinema in 1991 that I saw that one.

Some Skyraiders in it too as USAF Sandies, right?

Cheers, Stefan.

Interestingly enough I have them done. I had originally planned to do a 1/32, 1/48, 1/72 all on one combo sheet. I never got around to finishing the 1/72 version, these is where I had left it:

WIP.jpg

From www.aoadecals.com - but these two sheets aren't available to order yet.

I would love to have the Flight of the intruder set in 1/48!!! :worship:

• 1 month later...