Model Selection Observation

So, I was looking at building a BUFF based on the availability of some aftermarket products: decals and the new Eduard late style M117 bombs, and I would kill for some aftermarket wheel wells and bomb bay for the B-52. When I think about it, a large portion of the kits I buy/build are because of the aftermarket available for them versus the kit or subjects itself.

Regards,

Murph

To each his own, but IMO choosing something because there is a certain level of AM available sounds kinda silly. Personally, if I don't find the subject interesting, it doesn't matter how much aftermarket is available - it's not something I'm gonna buy or build. It's all about the subject.

But, if that's your thing, then rock on, dude.

There is no detail set for the '52 although I do have a set of aftermarket wheels you can have. What vewrsion are you thinking of building? My favorite is naturally the "D". We have one at the airport on display in a park.

Here's a shot of the bomb bay of a "G" model:

scan0095-1.jpg

If you do a Vietnam "D" and go to the trouble of building the bomb racks, almost all bay detail will be lost with all those 500 pounders in there.

Then there's all those antennas underneath the fuselage and sometimes chutes for chaff in the sides.

It is amazing how each of us pursues this hobby. For me its decals. I stopped buying aftermarket resin and PE unless its absolutely necessary (and even then I have more and more resorted to Evergreen and scratch building). I just found it getting pricey, I wasn't using everything in the detailing package, and many times it was adding frustration to what was supposed to be a relaxing project. But I can't help myself with decals. I get a new kit and I am searching for decal options immediately...its a sickness I think... :(.

:cheers:

My first answer was the subject. But I'm now recognizing that the markings, paint + decals, are as important. I know I've gotten kits because of the markings, and also decided against some because I didn't like the markings.

Pretty much one of everything US military aviation after 1936. I'll buy extras of a kit if I buy decals, e.g. I have several versions of 111th FIS decals for the ADF and C Vipers they flew. Also have kits for the several decal sheets with 182nd Vipers out of San Antonio and Indiana ANG and Adversary Vipers that tickle my fancy. Aftermarket parts or detail sets never drove any kit purchases for me, only decals.

It is all about subject matter for me. I will hunt down decal sheets if there is a particular plane I want to build. Frankly, my skills have yet to justify a lot of AM, with the exception of metal pitot tubes, they are a great upgrade because plastic ones will break without exception.

Naturally there must be a kit available of a particular subject but as I find it impossible to paint 1/72 drop shadow lettering or WW II nose art or airline logos etc. I find that aftermarket decals are a must. This also applies to treasured 40 year old kits from the stash with regulation unusable decals so I have to check the supply before making them. Personally I would rather have manufacturers supply injection moulded parts instead of resin in their kits such as Special Hobby's Northrop Attack series and let those that want it to purchase after market resin. So I will purchase kits that appeal to me but either the kit sheets or aftermarket decals must be available before I can build them.

Trev.

Double ditto. My wife says I'm a 'decal whore.'

That's funny! I'm addicted to buying decals, so I have to watch myself. With a decal sheet, I see the possibilities the end result may look like. They are like works of art. Hey, don't people collect art? That will be my new excuse!

Directly me it's mostly about decals. I think of a few subjects then see what schemes are our there. If I can't find good decals I don't want the kit.

I consider decals/markings to be integral with "subject".

Darren, thanks for that idea.

I am as of today an "Art Collector"

But, back to choosing a subject, I know what aircraft and markings I want to do, so I buy the kit whenever I see it at a good price (or see it at all, if it is rare.) At the same time, I am pouring through decals and lists to see if I can just buy decals for it. As the last resort, I use decal spares and paint to do the markings.

This approach might not work for all,,,,,,,,,but, the alternative would be having VA-15 sitting on a shelf, with VF-21 next,,,,,just because "no one made decals for VA-16, and it was too hardddd to build"

I must admit Murph Im with you on that one. Building a model OOB doesnt generally hold much interest for me. Ive 7 B-52 kits and none of them will be built OOB, Ive changed kit parts over to turn a late H into an early H, Ive turned an early G into a late G without root extentions etc etc all have different weapons from other kits or stuff Ive bought after, and it doesnt stop with the B-52. Almost all the kits I have will be changed in some way or another, I think its only the US Army helis that will be built OOB, because there isnt much you can do to change them.

A lot of the time my interest is peaked in a model because of the after market things that you can get too.

I'll admit I've bought decals without having a kit to put them on. I just picked up a set of decals for an F-15 with St Louis Cardinals markings and now I'm looking for a kit to go with them. I don't even usually build modern stuff, but I've been a Cards fan my entire life and I remember seeing the F-15s everytime I would go to the St Louis airport.