Soviet Mig-21PF, 1968 Czech invasion markings

Hi guys,

I have the Eduard MiG-21PF and contemplate on building it as "Red 40" (Krazniy 40? B) ) in the 1968 Czech Invasion markings. I was surprised to see that Eduard shows the aircraft as having no upper wing stars. Is this correct/plausible? I Always thought that Soviet aircraft had the stars in at least 6 positions.

2015-05-MiG-21PF-Weekend.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

erik.

I'd want to see a photograph proving the size and spacing of those red stripes around the aft fuselage as well. All I've seen are wider and closer spaced.

The invasion stripes were in most cases hand painted and differed from unit to unit. The invasion was not something planed for years with precisely defined paint technology duplicated and sent out to units. Two red stripes on the tail surface and do it as quick as possible, we are going in . . .

A very sorry time in our history, something we should not be proud of!!!

Best regards

Gabor

The invasion stripes were in most cases hand painted and differed from unit to unit. The invasion was not something planed for years with precisely defined paint technology duplicated and sent out to units. Two red stripes on the tail surface and do it as quick as possible, we are going in . . .

A very sorry time in our history, something we should not be proud of!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I've read "Inside the Red Army" by Viktor Suvorov, and based on that account, I don't think the Hungarian people should feel too responsible that Hungarian units took part in this. In essence, Suvorov pointed out that during peacetime "The Warsaw-Pact members were allowed to think that their armed forces were their own" but during wartime WP divisions were incorporated in the Red Army under Soviet command - the respective governments had nothing to say about their deployment at all - the only responsibility for the governments would have been to see that they had enough personnel and equipment....

Also according to Suvorov - wo took part in the attack as a tank officer, by the way-, the attack on Czechoslovakia was an attack by the book according to Soviet doctrine, so I don't think the Hungarian, Polish or German governments had much to say about it...