1/48 Kittyhawk SEPECAT Jaguar Gr 1

So as I screwed up the serial number on the right hand side, so I tried individual codes from a Ventura Decals sheet but wasn't happy with those. So I figured why not find out how good or if the Silhouette would cut 8" (approx 4.5mm in 48 scale) codes.

Apparently it does

Jaguar-GR1-091.jpg

Not quite perfect, the X is a little off but good enough for me

Jaguar-GR1-092.jpg

No onto the decals , unfortunately the model alliance sheets only have stencils for a GR 3 but I still have the kit stencils and stencils from the Airfix GR-3 kit. However the registration on the Kittyhawk sheet are crap, unusable IMHO and the Airfix kit is a GR 3, so no GR 1 stencils (yup I' should have realised that). The Ecuadoran option int he GR 3 kit look OK except for the spanish spelling :(

So it's off to try and find a Gr 1 sheet with some stencils. I've found a Xtra decals sheet on eBAy that might do some of the job but now it's a 2 week wait for that to come.

Thanks Calum. It seems it does a pretty good job, even on small masks. I guess it's time to invest in a cutter. :)/>

You Jag looks great. I can't wait to see it finished.

Jens

It does, I cut the no step dashed lines for the upper surface. The cut out dashes were about 1mm wide by 2 mm long and they were definitely usable. Although I've gone with decals

Hey Calum! :banana:

Keep going, man. It could be worse - you could have the A and T2/T4 versions in the wings and not got so far as painting the GR..... ;)

Its not such a bad kit really, just requires work, as does the Airfix/Revell/Heller. Its the price that really gets me, oh and the decals are pants along with some sections of the destructions, weapons and tanks are wrong for the RAF bird, etc. However... it has potential if you have the patience (and a spare Airfix Jag). Got to admire you regards the last bit, Calum!

Great work, looks like a beast of a kit.

Once it appeared to have dried I started to apply the Model Alliance decals. After getting a couple on I wasn't happy with how things were going , lots of silvering but some registration issues. Plus the fin flash angles didn't match the rudder angles, I guess they are sized for the Airfix kits. Rather than try the kit decals I figured I'd make some masks for the rundels and fin flash using the silhouette portrait cutter

Jaguar-GR1-085.jpg

I like your mask cutter, where do you get the kabuki tape sheets?

mason

Edited by doupnik
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it's not dead, I've been slowly plodding along with decaling.

To summarise the decal woe's ....

1. The kit decals are out of register, and don't have accurate stencils.

2. The Model alliance decals are for a GR3, (I knew that before I started but I thought the stencils were correct (they're not), poor research on my behalf. Plus the few I did use are out of register...

3. The Airfix GR 3 kit , has as expected RAF GR 3 decals. However there is also a Ecuadorian option, which are the same as the RAF 2 tone tactical camo stencils (yeah) however many are out of register, and there is a spelling mistake for the 2 "rescue"markings on the nose (boo).

4. So to get the "rescue" decal, along with a few others stencils I order an Xtradecal sheet (48017) as it has the required markings I require....Unfortunately when these arrive the words rescue are unreadable and the pother ones are just a red and white blob...

At this stage I considered changing to a Gulf war jet in desert pink, but after some thought I decided to carry on. I just left of some the stencils that I couldn't live with.

Here's the Airfix stencils, trimmed to try and reduce silvering. This was not a good idea, it was way to difficult to get everything aligned. The Airfix decals have a flat sheen and this is quite disconcerting.

Jaguar-GR1-093.jpg

On the left side, which I did first, I just stuck the entire decal on. Fortunately a clear coat over the top of them and they are pretty much gone - Result! The right side isn't as tidy due to my dumb idea of trimming the carrier film. Hopefully another coat of clear will help.

Jaguar-GR1-094.jpg

The No step areas on the intakes are one single decal.. Really happy with them after the clear coat.

Jaguar-GR1-095.jpg

Some shots after the rest of the decal are on. Lots of the little Airfix stencils aren't really in register... But they are small enough, that, to the naked eye they look Ok

Jaguar-GR1-096.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-097.jpg

It looks very good, but mostly on the first photo it looks like the lacquer coats are too numerous... Some fine sanding?!...

In fact the first shot has 1 coat of clear. Any sanding will sand the decals down. More coats of clear were needed .

Another thing the Kittyhawk misses is the anti-col or position lights on the RWR antenna housing on the fin. I found some bumps that will do in the spares box but whilst drilling holes to mount these I decided I wasn't happy with the Model Alliance zig zags as they are quite out of register with a white stripe showing above the line

Jaguar-GR1-092.jpg

So I removed the decal with some tape and dragged out the cutter to do up a mask.

Jaguar-GR1-099.jpg

Not perfect but better

Jaguar-GR1-100.jpg

A couple pf flat coats of Dullcoate and things are looking OK

Jaguar-GR1-101.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-102.jpg

Spent some time working on the undercarriage this weekend. Added some hydraulic pipe line with 0.020 " copper wire.

Jaguar-GR1-104.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-105.jpg

The nose gear, with all the tiny arms was a pain.

Jaguar-GR1-103.jpg

Put the tank on. This is the Airfix tank ans the Kittyhawk is totally the wrong shape.

Jaguar-GR1-106.jpg

• 1 month later...

Carrying on from where we left off.

Why is that the last few things, that look like they should take stuff all time actually take ages. Anyway I've spent that last week sor so adding some weathering with pigments . The RBF tags are paper from Fantasy Printshop, they're OK but you have to fold them, which means they're thicker than you'd like and you have to paint the edges.

The kit has lots of little details that are missing from the Airfix kit, thinks like antennas and the various vents etc under the fuselage. I did scratch build the small vents aft of the cannon bulges as these aren't in the kit

Jaguar-GR1-111.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-112.jpg

Only the pitot probes and other nose probes to go, along with the canopy and she'll be done

Jaguar-GR1-113.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-114.jpg