Exercise Rapid Raptor 2016

Hi again Gents,

After a marathon editing section I've finally completed a decent selection of images to follow the quick post from Thursday evening. It's easy snapping them on a 8 frames-per-second camera when in the field but not so funny when you have to sort through 100's of images! I shouldn't complain though as you rarely get a chance to shoot under these circumstances and a few weeks ago when I screwed up photographing one of the four ship flights arriving I was pretty fed up with aviation photography in general. Things change quickly as originally I doubted I was going to be able to make a further visit to Lakenheath whilst the 95th FS were here. Luckily work was kind and allowed me a day off at short notice. Given the wind direction I expected Lakenheath to be working runway 06 which would not have been as good for photography, so was pleasantly surprised when they stayed on 24 the whole day, even when the wind direction clearly favoured 06 in the afternoon. Working runway 06 tends to interfere with neighbouring Mildenhall as the approach puts aircraft directly over the top of the 11 approach at Mildenhall, so they try and avoid it if possible.

Exercise Rapid Raptor involved twelve F-22's from the 95th FS at Tyndall. These arrived as three four ships over a few days in mid April. Airframes were;

04-4072, 04-4080, 04-4081, 05-4084, 05-4086, 05-4089, 05-4091, 05-4094, 05-4095 ,05-4101, 05-4106 and 05-4107.

As well as flying with the resident F-15s and RAF Typhoons, they also paid a couple of visits into Eastern Europe and a four ship took part in the flypast over France for the 100th anniversary of the Lafayette Escadrille’s formation. They are expected to depart home in two waves tomorrow and Monday as their tankers have already arrived at Mildenhall this morning.

These were all taken on Thursday when seven F-22s flew early in the morning and eight flew late afternoon/early evening. The morning wave was blessed with superb light but it had turned hazy for the afternoon wave. There's F-15s as well... Due to the board rules I'm limited to ten images a post.

The 'Grim Reapers' are usually the first out of the blocks each morning.

IMG_9425_zpswgrrt70u.jpg

IMG_9454_zpss4rhe44q.jpg

Looks like '165 has recently been in the paint shop.

IMG_9486_zps33he13ac.jpg

IMG_9497_zpsirjyagoq.jpg

The first pair of F-22s out. They taxi straight to the runway, or the North side hold in this case, passing EOR.

IMG_9545_zpsccesxgls.jpg

IMG_9528_zpstvx9ewql.jpg

IMG_9560_zpsmxzy3clz.jpg

Taxiing back onto the runway from the North side hold. Note the guys watching from the North side fence. Security was pretty relaxed, as I think they realised they were onto a loser if they tried to prevent 100's of onlookers from putting up ladders and photographing over the fence. The only issue I gather was that during the official media day on the base they weren't allowing photos down the intakes. Obviously, off base, no such restriction!

IMG_9604_zpsgawxshd2.jpg

First flight rolling as a 494th flight watches from the North side.

IMG_9637_zpsipqpdnos.jpg

IMG_9645_zpsph1xyko8.jpg

more below...

Edited by gary1701

...from above

IMG_9700_zpsaacvdr1w.jpg

IMG_9724_zpsypac94ir.jpg

IMG_9726_zpsvpfdtxx5.jpg

The next pair were surprisingly carrying external tanks.

IMG_9763_zpswm2g1lrc.jpg

IMG_9794_zpsgfkn6bsz.jpg

IMG_9807_zpsljfaruam.jpg

IMG_9865_zpsbl7txvv6.jpg

IMG_9840_zpscvldkgcp.jpg

IMG_9898_zpstawzrb8v.jpg

IMG_9963_zpsonum3zjs.jpg

more below...

Edited by gary1701

...from above

IMG_0049_zpsi8fjy9ut.jpg

IMG_9969_zpsbnsyfkj4.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsapastzgw.jpg

IMG_0076_zpsxrd7nze5.jpg

That's everybody up from the morning wave, now recoveries.

IMG_0107_zpsjuvuorwd.jpg

IMG_0119_zpsbugw0qy2.jpg

As I mentioned on the other post a couple of these jets appear to carry some form of mission mark on their nose. I'm guessing it's from a Middle Eastern deployment as I believe the F-22s have been involved over Syria. It's very hard to see so have blown a couple up.

IMG_0149_zpsv5htbpxd.jpg

Close up of the nose.

IMG_01451_zpsjxrtwukk.jpg

IMG_0153_zpsgmkdoh5c.jpg

IMG_0185_zpsfbhhsrpg.jpg

Gents, apparently I can't put anymore in this thread so will start another.

Gary

Edited by gary1701