While thinking about the riveting of the plane, i decided to improve (i hope :) ) the texture of almost all surfaces. The goal is to imitate the very very very subtle bevel and emboss of the areas along the panel and the rivet lines, which is visible only at a very very narrow angle. That should be another effect from the tear and wear, and i think that in this huge scale is doable and should improve the realm. Here is one photo of the real plane - it is clearly visible everywhere:

f_15e_09_of_16.jpg

(source: primeportal)

One of the pylons is first, also cause i`m kinda excited to combine it with the awesome GTR missile rails. So here is only the pylon before the "texturizing" (what a word :D ), a huge flat piece like mirror:

photo.jpg

And it`s ready for assembly with the rails. That`s how it looks after some texturizing and riveting, and plenty of edits nearby the area for attachment of the fuel tank. Hope u can see what i mean with "texturizing" - it`s barely distinguishable, but it`s there, i think it will also look well throughout the entire model.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Edited by my favs are F`s

Thank u :)/>

The pylon is assembled - there is a huge pin running from rail to rail for greater structural support:

photo_1.jpg

I will probably make the underwing pylons with magnets for detachable loadout configs. Here is test fitted and just for comparison with the 1/48 pylon :) It`s already awesome even without painting:

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

I added the small casters near the tips of the rails, i suppose they are for the gliding of the fins of the missiles... but that`s just my logic, i`m not sure. I scratched them from photo etch pieces and some tiny plastic rods:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

Then a thin layer of surfacer:

photo_4.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_5.jpg

The casters were actually springs when I worked on E models from 98 to 05. The pulled back and then moved forward clipping onto the AIM-9 fins to keep them straight.There might be a later update replacing them, I havent worked them since 2008.

The casters were actually springs when I worked on E models from 98 to 05. The pulled back and then moved forward clipping onto the AIM-9 fins to keep them straight.There might be a later update replacing them, I havent worked them since 2008.

That's what they still are - just springs to keep the fins aligned.

That's what they still are - just springs to keep the fins aligned.

Correct boys, their official nomenclature is canard retainers.

Steve

I started with some "texturising" this weekend. This is the bottom fuselage before:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

The panel lines of the CFTs are filled:

photo_3.jpg

And here the area of/around the heat shield is done. Just a subtle texturising:

photo_4.jpg

On the right of the engine starter is still mirror flat, while on the left is prepped. Only at this angle is barely visible, otherwise it`s not :) I`m very happy with the result:

photo_5.jpg

I started with some "texturising" this weekend. This is the bottom fuselage before:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

The panel lines of the CFTs are filled:

photo_3.jpg

And here the area of/around the heat shield is done. Just a subtle texturising:

photo_4.jpg

On the right of the engine starter is still mirror flat, while on the left is prepped. Only at this angle is barely visible, otherwise it`s not :)/>/>/> I`m very happy with the result:

photo_5.jpg

The paneling looks accurate and amazing to me! Great job - this is shaping up to be quite the build! Also, check your refs for the JFS (engine starter) exhaust. It does not have the vent cover - it's a straight exhaust on the bottom of the fuselage. If you have the Modern Eagle Guide, 2nd edition, there is a fantastic picture on page 145.

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

... the JFS (engine starter) exhaust. It does not have the vent cover - it's a straight exhaust on the bottom of the fuselage...

Steve, this is an absolute mystery for me. Here i got a photo right at that area, and the vent from the kit is pretty much accurate. Yet i also found in some topics that the vent should be removed. I don`t know why is that difference - is it the "time" difference - so what`s the wright thing for an Eagle from 2005+ ?! Very interesting.

gfdhg_Copy.jpg

Also the first bomb racks (maybe launcher is a more correct word) at the front of the CFTs, near the intakes, so the pylons of these launchers are pointing forward. And i remember a topic where they are corrected (in the LN eagle build, from geedubelyer, with the stunning photos of the eagle in a real background scenery). So he edited the front CFT pylons with an almost vertical leading edge, instead of pointing forward as is oob. However, i find plenty of photos where these pylons are exactly as they are oob. And i`m kinda puzzled what`s the right thing and why :))))

I finished the texturising on the lower fuselage. I`m just thinking... is it going to look good after painting, weathering etc, on the finished model... i have no idea, i`m doing it for the very 1st time. But in all cases the real plane is not flat like glass. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Riveting now :))))

Steve, this is an absolute mystery for me. Here i got a photo right at that area, and the vent from the kit is pretty much accurate. Yet i also found in some topics that the vent should be removed. I don`t know why is that difference - is it the "time" difference - so what`s the wright thing for an Eagle from 2005+ ?! Very interesting.

gfdhg_Copy.jpg

Also the first bomb racks (maybe launcher is a more correct word) at the front of the CFTs, near the intakes, so the pylons of these launchers are pointing forward. And i remember a topic where they are corrected (in the LN eagle build, from geedubelyer, with the stunning photos of the eagle in a real background scenery). So he edited the front CFT pylons with an almost vertical leading edge, instead of pointing forward as is oob. However, i find plenty of photos where these pylons are exactly as they are oob. And i`m kinda puzzled what`s the right thing and why :)/>)))

The jfs exhaust grate was never on e models. It was removed from all American f-15s long before I went in the air force. The same goes for the two fuel fairings in thpicture.

The jfs exhaust grate was never on e models. It was removed from all American f-15s long before I went in the air force. The same goes for the two fuel fairings in thpicture.

Right, and just to pile on, the photo is of an F-15A. As for the CFT pylons, please see the attached picture of an Afghan based Strike Eagle from my photo collection. The lower inboard pylon (LC-3) is angled while the outboard pylon (LC-6) has a straight leading edge.

thumb_IMG_4823_1024.jpg

Edited by Falconxlvi

Mmmm, it`s just the combination of the three pylons - for the sniper pod and the two front pylons of the cft. :)/> The leading edge of one of the pylons stretches backwards, another forward, and should be nice if one is straight. Just a little bit more contrasting spices to the silhouette.

Mmmm, it`s just the combination of the three pylons - for the sniper pod and the two front pylons of the cft. :)/>/> The leading edge of one of the pylons stretches backwards, another forward, and should be nice if one is straight. Just a little bit more contrasting spices to the silhouette.

Yep, she's one good looking jet!

I finished the texturising on the lower fuselage. I`m just thinking... is it going to look good after painting, weathering etc, on the finished model... i have no idea, i`m doing it for the very 1st time. But in all cases the real plane is not flat like glass. :rolleyes:/> :rolleyes:/>

I think your modifications look great. When the model is finished, you should be able to capture very realistic shots (especially close ups with camera pointed tangentially across the surface). What tools and steps did you use?

Thanks all. The tools: it`s just a knife with that type of blade:

photo.jpg

I scratch the surface very gently and because the blade is curved - it removes just some tiny little shavings, nothing major, nothing too excessive, no sharp indentations. Then with 800 and 1500 grits sandpapers through the surfaces and very gently again, without removing from the plastic, but just to restore the shine as much as possible. And that`s it.

okey okey, a couple more closeups, btw these are at daylight... juicy, juicy :)

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

A couple of small details - the leading edges of the front cft outboard pylons:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

And the small exhausts near the nozzles:

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Here is one how it sits in its place. On the other side is the oob part. There should be a small gap between the cft and the fuselage, and i decided that there is no better way to make a sharp clean edge of the cft, other than embedded photo etch pieces at the end of the cft. For now it looks just about perfect, but can`t glue and prime it, cause there are small screws right under these small pieces, so the fuselages have to be assembled first.

photo_3.jpg