Trumpeter Skywarrior rundown

@Tailspin Turtle:  Ah so, deska!  "Now I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.  Wow, you have given me a weeks worth of reading! I will have to dig through all of your links over the holiday.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.  R/ Dutch  

PS (That is an awesome 1/72 EKA-3B you built from the Hasegawa kit!  SWEET!)

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling / grammar
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

@Tailspin Turtle:  Ah so, deska!  "Now I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.  Wow, you have given me a weeks worth of reading! I will have to dig through all of your links over the holiday.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.  R/ Dutch  

PS (That is an awesome 1/72 EKA-3B you built from the Hasegawa kit!  SWEET!)

Thanks but note that Paul Boyer built that EKA-3B and it's his photograph of it. I still haven't finished the Rareplanes KA-3B vacuform that I started many years ago. I will note that both the Rareplanes and Hasegawa kits were based on pretty good drawings of the A3D that I provided.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:43 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Can you refer me to pictures in the Ginter book of this slat configuration? As far as I know, this was only true when the wings were folded. The outboard slat on the folded wing was always retracted. Sometimes the inboard slat on the folded wing was extended.

Tommy, you are correct and I was mistaken. It appears when the wings were folded the very outermost slat was retracted and the outer slat nearest the fold is extended. I think I described poorly what I was looking at. So confusing with all those slats!.

5 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I have not received my EKA-3B kit yet. Can the Trumpeter wings be folded SOOTB, or is after market set required? R/ Dutch

Yes, the wings on the Trumpeter kit can be folded OOTB.

• 2 weeks later...

So just so I'm clear on all this - I'd like to build an EKA-3B (the coolest Whale variant IMHO).   What's wrong with the kit and what is out there for aftermarket to fix it?  Is it just the couple of items listed on page one of this thread?

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:06 PM, 11bee said:

So just so I'm clear on all this - I'd like to build an EKA-3B (the coolest Whale variant IMHO).   What's wrong with the kit and what is out there for aftermarket to fix it?  Is it just the couple of items listed on page one of this thread?

At the moment there are a few AM items that can more accurately help the Trumpeter A-3 kits. The Hypersonic engine nacelles are a must. The kit's engines are totally wrong. Hypersonic is also working on a corrected canopy which should be very nice as well judging from the prototype photos on his website. Jeffrey also is planning on correcting the main gear well which again is totally wrong in the kit. However that part seems a ways off at the moment. Dmold has nice accessories. Dmitri cast some new engine nacelles as well. They are not as extensive as the HS one but capture the shape better than the kit parts and should look just about as nice as HS's. Additionally Dmold has two sets of forward fuselage correction sets. One with the early pointed nose and one with the blunted. These two sets, which also have corrected canopies as well, correct some issues with the forward fuselage. Steel Beach also makes some misc parts like corrected tail turret and later boat tail among others if your kit does not have those items. I'm not sure if there is any aftermarket PE yet or resin replacement cockpits for the kit which is surprising since it has been out for a few years now. It would be nice if Aires or Eduard would do some. The kit's cockpit is somewhat inaccurate.