Trumpeter Skywarrior rundown

Some of you have asked for a listing of what parts come in what kits. This is a quick reference guide. I'll expand on it in the future. Feel free to add comments, as I don't have all of the kits.

Trumpeter 1/48 Skywarrior Reference

It is important to note that all the Skywarrior kits have inaccurate seats, fuel dumps, engine nacelles, main wheel bays, and canopies. Steel Beach has replacement seats and fuel dumps, while Hypersonic has replacement engine nacelles and is currently working on canopies and main wheel bays.

A3D-1

Included in kit:

-gun turret tail

-both style tails (with and without large antenna on the top)

-pointed nose

Inaccurate details:

-wheels

Steel Beach updates:

-early wheels/hubs

-midlife conversion (includes dove tail and ECM blisters on nose)

-A3D-1Q conversion

-JATO bottles

KA-3B

Included in kit:

-dove tail

-blunt speed nose

-parts for EKA-3B

Inaccurate details:

-nose (a bit too flat at the front and no NACA vent)

-IFR housing (too big and basket can only be displayed extended)

Steel Beach updates:

-nose

-IFR housing (correct size/shape with stowed basket)

-RA-3B conversion

EA-3B

This is essentially the KA-3B kit with the blunt “speed” nose and dove tail. There are no EA-3B parts in it at all.

Steel Beach updates:

-early and late EA-3B conversion to be used with the EA-3B supplement (contains vinyl windows and a resin door)

-RA-3B conversion

TA-3B

Included in kit:

-gun turret tail

-pointed nose

-fuselage with windows and door

Inaccurate details:

-only includes turret with guns

Steel Beach updates:

-gunless tail turret

-early EA-3B conversion

-late EA-3B conversion

EKA-3B

I don’t have this kit yet, but I’m assuming that it is the same plastic as in the KA-3B

ERA-3B

Included in the kit:

-fin cap antenna

-two RATS

-electronics tail

-cheek cameras

-round windows

Inaccurate details:

-only two RATS when there should be four

-missing numerous vents and antennas

-wrong nose

-no camera windows

Steel Beach updates:

-nose replacement

-ERA-3B update set (coming soon)

-RA-3B conversion (coming soon)

Edited by Darren Roberts

In addition, DMold has recently released replacement forward fuselages for both early and late A-3's. They also have replacement nacelles and pylons. However, in my book the Hypersonic nacelles are simply sublime and well worth the money. +1 on the B-66!!

Rick

Edited by madmanrick

Thanks Darren this is really helpful. Now I know what kit to buy to build what variant with the appropriate Steel Beach accessories. What a kettle of fish the A-3's are. Are each of the kits cockpit windows, seats accurate for what comes in the box?

Yes, thanks Darren. Very helpful.

Noticed you have a TA-3B conversion ... is that intended to fix the TA-3 kits short comings or to be used to convert one of the other kits into a TA-3?

Good job! Thank you!

Might add that "A3D-1" is the first boxing, labled "A-3D-2 Strategic Bomber".

Also:

TA-3B has windows both sides.

Cockpits, including seats, wheels, and canopies are the same in each kit.

KA-3B includes parts not only for EKA but also an EA cabin (if you haven't seen it, just believe it---ya gotta b'liev me!).

I measured the KA IFR basket at about 1/35 scale. Also, the "hose" is short--basket under fuselage, well forward of tail end.

Note that the "A-3B" kit has both noses and tails giving some extra parts left over.

Also, regarding aftermarket, experience and other reviews show consistent tendency for main gear to noticeably tow-in on both sides in all kits.

Edited by Rich in name only

The kit has the cambered leading edge (CLE) wing, which limits your decal choices for a pointy-nose A3D-1 bomber version. I found 3, all VAH-1. It is possible to backdate the slats to look more like the earlier, non-CLE wing's slats, but it's a pain in the neck to do.

The shell ejector slots on the gun turret are on the wrong side of the ball, so they end up in the interior of the fuselage when the turret is installed. Easy to fix by cutting and moving the gun mounts. Easier fix by buying the Steel Beach gun turret. :thumbsup:

Ben

Yes, thanks Darren. Very helpful.

Noticed you have a TA-3B conversion ... is that intended to fix the TA-3 kits short comings or to be used to convert one of the other kits into a TA-3?

The TA-3B conversion was for the original A3D release. Trumpeters TA-3B release is actually pretty good except for having the guns in the tail.

As far as I know, all kits have the same wing which is a hybrid from features of various types and even those aren't correct. The kit wing has a simple airfoil, similar to the early non-CLE wing. However, it's too thick, it's angle of incidence is too shallow and the main wing/flap ratio is off: the main wing chord is too short while the flap chord is too long.

The kit slat configuration resembles that of the later CLE wing.

No simple work will get you an accurate wing from the kit parts, neither the early nor the CLE wing, other than making totally new wings. I've been asked to consider making some as a resin replacement but I rule that out on the grounds of moulding/casting effort, cost and weight.

However, I think it's not too difficult to adapt the slats to the early wing by eliminating the inboard slat and modifying the outboard slat. Achieving a CLE wing would be a lot harder as it requires a total re-profiling of the lower wing half. Using the kit's given slat configuration plus a small wedge fillet on the inside between the wing and engine pylon (provided in my engine sets) will make it passable for a CLE wing. The chord and thickness are off anyway so the wrong profile is just another box unticked... :whistle:/>

Note that the main wheel well is not only wrong in size and its interior (see-through part etc.), it's positioned nearly 9mm too far aft on the kit. That discovery had rendered all my previous work on the wheel well set useless and I decided to make the engine sets and canopies first before going back to the wheel well.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

Jeffery, thank you for posting on this subject and your truly outstanding products which I missed and neglected to mention earlier. Also to everyone, are there drawings showing interior arrangements for each variant?

Thank you again, this entire discussion is going to printed out and going into a binder.

Darren thanks for taking the time to do this write up. Much appreciated. Although I will probably not do more than 1 or 2 Skywarriors, it is good to know what kit to pick up. I think in my case it will be what decals are available or how cool the particle A-3 looks with antennae and aerials. I was all hot and heavy on the EA-3B but now not so much.

I have one decal sheet so maybe I can start there.

As far as I know, all kits have the same wing which is a hybrid from features of various types and even those aren't correct. The kit wing has a simple airfoil, similar to the early non-CLE wing. However, it's too thick, it's angle of incidence is too shallow and the main wing/flap ratio is off: the main wing chord is too short while the flap chord is too long.

The kit slat configuration resembles that of the later CLE wing.

No simple work will get you an accurate wing from the kit parts, neither the early nor the CLE wing, other than making totally new wings. I've been asked to consider making some as a resin replacement but I rule that out on the grounds of moulding/casting effort, cost and weight.

However, I think it's not too difficult to adapt the slats to the early wing by eliminating the inboard slat and modifying the outboard slat. Achieving a CLE wing would be a lot harder as it requires a total re-profiling of the lower wing half. Using the kit's given slat configuration plus a small wedge fillet on the inside between the wing and engine pylon (provided in my engine sets) will make it passable for a CLE wing. The chord and thickness are off anyway so the wrong profile is just another box unticked... :whistle:/>/>

Note that the main wheel well is not only wrong in size and its interior (see-through part etc.), it's positioned nearly 9mm too far aft on the kit. That discovery had rendered all my previous work on the wheel well set useless and I decided to make the engine sets and canopies first before going back to the wheel well.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

Is there a way to place an order for the nacelles (and preorder for the canopies) that would enable one to get an order in prior to the "in stock" rush?

Nope, no wing pylons. I'm going to work on a set, and apparently D-Mold has a set, though I haven't seen it.

Darren, if you are referring to my post above, the pylons I was referring to are the ones that the nacelles are attached to. No one that I am aware of has produced a set of weapons pylons, so if you want to work your magic, feel free! I'd be in for a set.

Rick

Darren, if you are referring to my post above, the pylons I was referring to are the ones that the nacelles are attached to. No one that I am aware of has produced a set of weapons pylons, so if you want to work your magic, feel free! I'd be in for a set.

Rick

Roger that! Work will commence once school is done. How about the pods as well?

Pylons sound great. Which pods ... I've seen a few types being carried.

Any other good refs out there on the A-3's, besides the 2 Ginter books and the Squadron in Action book?

Books:

Aerofax's Aerograph 5. Rene Francillon. Excellent. On eBay frequently, sometimes at a reasonable price.

FAOW (Famous Airplanes of the World) 1977-7. Japanese text, great photos.

FAOW No. 118. Japanese text, great photos, line drawings.

For early design history "The Incredible Attack Aircraft of the USS United States 1948-1949". Besides the A3D you won't believe some of what was proposed, including a 2-seat, fully-carrier capable, development of the X-3 with a bigger unmanned plane attached below it.