Calling all F-15 experts

It depends on the time period, as antenna fits could (can) vary. The F-15J lacks the DECM system of the US birds, so there is a skinny flutter weight on top of both vertical fins, vs. a counterweight on one and a big fat sausage on top of the other on all USAF birds.

The basic airframe is the same. It's just small details that differentiate them. I'm not sure if the GWH kit comes with two counterweights or not. I know the Hasegawa kits do.

The F-15J also has lightning diversion strips on the nose

That's a fairly recent addition. They didn't have them for many years.

Not really recent at all..... unless you consider 15 to 20 years recent. I've seen photos dating back to the late 90's with these strips on the radome. I have no clue when these were initially installed but they've been there for quite some time.

Cheers,

John

The pre-MSIP F-15J also has an extra instrument on the aft part of the right side console. It's censored in every photo I have, however.

Not really recent at all..... unless you consider 15 to 20 years recent. I've seen photos dating back to the late 90's with these strips on the radome. I have no clue when these were initially installed but they've been there for quite some time.

Yes, but that was on very, very few airframes until recently. The MSIP updates happened very slowly.

The pre-MSIP F-15J also has an extra instrument on the aft part of the right side console. It's censored in every photo I have, however.

Yes, but that was on very, very few airframes until recently. The MSIP updates happened very slowly.

I'm just going by the photographic record. I had to search photos back to 1999-2000 to find an F-15J with the old radome installed. Every photo I found of an F-15J from late 2000 to the present has the new radome installed. Radomes are pretty easy to change so even though the MSIP apparently happened very slowly the radomes appear to have been fast tracked. Makes sense once you have a modification line going for the radomes to keep rotating them through until finished.

Cheers,

John