Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

I came here looking for this post. Too early to see all the crow eating I guess. My only regret is Jennings won't be here to defend how wrong he was with the "it'll never happen" stuff he spouted all the time.

So it's looking like an A to me. Sweet, but knowing how afraid Tamiya is of variants I wonder if a B and D will follow? And perhaps this could push AMK to release something other than the A first? Speculation, but would be awesome for me...I have no problems owning and building both. They'll be equally superb.

I'll still buy AMK's instead. They've more than earned my business.

Yay you?

Yay you?

Not saying I won't grab a Tamiya in the near future, but AMK has proven they do a darn good job and I'll support them. This kit does look like it'll have some good features. Now, please don't make snide remarks towards me, as I do not do that towards anyone here especially yourself. Back to the Tamiya show.

I don't disagree re: AMK. I think they have well cemented themselves with the excellent Mig..by all means. And I'll certainly buy the AMK kit, all of them, too. Not being snide...just a jest. :thumbsup:

Price is a factor of course, but before I make a decision on whether to purchase an AMK or a Tamiya, I'll wait and see a few built.

If the reviews on both are good, I'll get atleast one or two of each.

All kinds of cool -A schemes that I can do. No such thing as too many good Tomcat kits...

Here are some tentative details I can share.

It will have a Pilot and RIO crew figure.

Positional wing sweep.

Detachable wing sweep seals and bladder bags.

Movable canopy.

Boarding ladder and steps.

Decal sheets VF-84 and VF-2.

Officially licensed.

The one piece wings seem a little off for Tamiya somehow. I guess in reality most Tomcats would be parked with the wings full back and will be easier to build that way. Still, just doesn't seem like Tamiya to leave out a detail like optional flaps after their last few offerings. I'm sure it's a quick early build too, but the fit of the part just in front of the windscreen seems less than Tamiya like as well.

The one piece wings seem a little off for Tamiya somehow. I guess in reality most Tomcats would be parked with the wings full back and will be easier to build that way. Still, just doesn't seem like Tamiya to leave out a detail like optional flaps after their last few offerings. I'm sure it's a quick early build too, but the fit of the part just in front of the windscreen seems less than Tamiya like as well.

I noticed the awkward windscreen/nose fit as well. Let's just hope we can chalk that up to the "provisional" nature of the display model. September is a ways off and I bet this is just a test shot.

I am stunned... Finally, all the rumors have been true. Looks like I will be buying a few Tomcats this year from both Tamiya and AMK!!!

I like the idea of one piece wings, as 90% of all the Tomcat builds I would do will be in the swept position. If I want to have flaps hangin' out, I will use the AMK (I am sure it will have that option) or just use the venerable Hasegawa F-14 for builds I want to deploy flaps on.

The windscreen fit is indeed a bit odd for a Tamiya. I like the concept of the engineering there, but hopefully the fit will be better on the production kit.

I'm quite surprised that Tamiya released a Tomcat in 1/48 scale. With that said, I'm a bit puzzled by the sprue pictures. It's not nearly as detailed as their F-16 series is. It almost looks like a hybrid between a Hasegawa kit and a Revell/Monogram kit. Maybe they were intentionally going for a more simple build. This release looks to be the standard pre Block 125 with no ECM gear. Looks like I'll be able to come out with some Steel Beach items to update to a Block 125 and even come out with an early gun vent. AMK still has a market to sell to, I think.