Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

Well this is good news I think? My wallet is going to hurt :(. Good thing I did not lay any money anywhere betting against this. I gave up saying never many years ago.

At the rate Tamiya releases other variants I will be even more grey and older than Iam now. How long have we waited for a 2 seater F-16 from them? Even now it looks like they have stalled on the Falcon releases. We all know Tamiya may release other F-14 variants but I would think it would be at a snail pace. One thing for sure is that I can ditch my HB F-14D. I will still keep my Hasegawa F-14 kits though as they really did not cost me much and I only have 6 of those. I still have my Hasegawa F-16s too.

Edited by skyhawk174

..but the fit of the part just in front of the windscreen seems less than Tamiya like as well.

I noticed the awkward windscreen/nose fit as well. Let's just hope we can chalk that up to the "provisional" nature of the display model.

The windscreen fit is indeed a bit odd for a Tamiya. I like the concept of the engineering there, but hopefully the fit will be better on the production kit.

WRT the windscreen, I think it's pretty clever engineering. Many modelers find it troublesome to get the windscreen to blend in nicely with the fuselage without having to resort to putty or white glue.

Look at the 12th & 13th picture from the top:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/F14D/day8.htm

Pics 8-10 from the top:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/Su27/day17.htm

It's always nerve-wrecking because the clear parts can be prone to getting putty on it or the railing details might get sanded away. Tamiya's way means it's easier to putty and sand the clear fuselage part rather than the clear windshield itself.

I wonder if Tamiya san would consider scaling this kit down to 1/72......

MrTamiya.jpg

Finally a Unicorn! i honestly never tough that it would ever happened! (even yesterday i still...)

it's an Awesome news! i'm totally in for both AMK and Tamiya 1/48 F-14A... bring them!

...and i'm very happy they choose to do the "A" variant, as it's the one i prefer, with colorful schemes.

Bad luck for AMK I guess..

The Tamiya machine rolls on with a huge distribution network these kits will be all over the world in every hobby store.

At least the chances of them doing a B/D is minimal as Tamiya never release a B or D variant! Lol.

Nice they have done the parts perfectly set up for drop in resin engine changes etc so we will have a solid base to convert.

Leaving the wings clean helps cut tooling costs to keep the price down and any F-14 lover already has a huge collection of weapons from Hasegawa and Hobbyboss.

Clean wings and no weapons at least gives AMK an option to pack there kit with options and weapons for the B and D plus A.

I really liked there Mig-31 kit it's not perfect but it was very good.

Given Tamiyas record I'm not holding my breath for a B or a D so will by behind AMK as well.

Here are some tentative details I can share.

It will have a Pilot and RIO crew figure.

Positional wing sweep.

Detachable wing sweep seals and bladder bags.

Movable canopy.

Boarding ladder and steps.

Decal sheets VF-84 and VF-2.

Officially licensed.

Officially licensed

What does this mean, exactly? I mean specifically in this context. Because I'm really struggling with this.

What does this mean, exactly? I mean specifically in this context. Because I'm really struggling with this.

It means Tamiya is giving someone money.

They could give me money if they wanted to.

I don't know what the story is with Tamiya and the Accurate Miniatures Beaufighter but I can assume you mean they released ine to deliberately destroy AM . If so that sounds a little like a conspiracy theory to me.

Considering there was a rumour, IIRC, before the 2015 show that Tamiya was going to release an F 14 it seems likely to me that they have been working on an F 14 for a lot longer than AMK.

So yeah while the timing sucks for AMK it's a bit of a stretch to imply they've deliberately designed a F 14 to specifically to compete AMK

Edited by a4s4eva

If you notice most of Tamiya's new releases have notation of official licensing from the original manufacturers.

I don't know what the story is with Tamiya and the Accurate Miniatures Beaufighter but I can assume you mean they released ine to deliberately destroy AM . If so that sounds a little like a conspiracy theory to me.

Considering there was a rumour, IIRC, before the 2015 show that Tamiya was going to release an F 14 it seems likely to me that they have been working on an F 14 for a lot longer than AMK.

So yeah while the timing sucks for AMK it's a bit of a stretch to imply they've deliberately designed a F 14 to specifically to compete AMK

Every year people have been saying Tamiya was releasing an F-14.

If you don't know about the AM Beaufighter you must not have been modeling at that time, it was no coincidence Tamiya released one. AM had it tooled and ready to be released.

Tamiya is a smart business.

Just that Tamiya got 'official' permission from Grumman to use the names 'Grumman', 'F-14' and 'Tomcat' to identify the kit on the box. They may or may not have had to pay a fee and it is just to insure that the kit represents the Grumman name/product in a positive way. Italeri has been doing it with Lockheed products for a while now, and almost all car models are licensed by the companies they represent.

It probably means they are paying Northrop Grumman some sort of fee in order to officially use the F-14 Tomcat name.

It also probably means the model, packaging, etc. had to be approved by Northrop Grumman as well.

It may or may not mean Northrop Grumman provided assistance (reference materials or whatever).

*Edit: Still need to see the weapon sprues too.

Edited by razgriz

Did anyone else notice the 1/48 US Missile Set display board at the top of the picture with landing gear and front wheel well items. So does this mean No weapons at all like Hasegawa or just some extra stuff....curious indeed

I, for one, cannot WAIT! I'm all in for both this and the AMK offering as well. My only complaint is that I don't like the working swing wings. Tomcat kit manufacturers need to get on board with the Hasegawa wing method. I guarantee most serious modelers are going to build kit, say "this will have the wings full swept" or "this one will have the wings extended," and that'll just be the end of it. I highly doubt they'll be walking by their shelves and stopping to play with the wings. The "operational" Tomcat wings make it a PITA to paint, but at the end of the day, I can get past that. If this kit is on the same level as their Viper, then I've died and gone to heaven 10,000 times. Envisioning a OEF-era Black Aces bombcat!

Just as an aside, and not a complaint, but is it just me, or do I see some scaled down 1:32 in there?

Did anyone else notice the 1/48 US Missile Set display board at the top of the picture with landing gear and front wheel well items. So does this mean No weapons at all like Hasegawa or just some extra stuff....curious indeed

Taken from Tamiya's own blog site:

##### 1/48 F-14A TOMCAT

• 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit.

• Fuselage length: 398mm; wingspan: 212mm - 408mm (according to position of movable "swing wing").

• The streamlined form of the aircraft is accurately captured, complete with moving wing - it can be depicted

at angles from 20-75 degrees.

• The aircraft is depicted in parked position, with landing gear deployed.

• Separate parts are included to depict the different airbag and sealing plate shapes with the wing at 20 and 75

degrees. They can be attached and detached after completion of the model.

• Opening canopy piece allows closer inspection of the detail in the 2-seater cockpit.

• Ladder and step components can be built in deployed or stowed positions.

• Comes with 2 striking high-visibility marking options, which are tentatively planned to depict F-14As from

the VF-84 (Jolly Rogers) and VF-2 (Bounty Hunters) U.S. Navy Fighter Squadrons.

• 2 highly-realistic figures are included to depict seated pilot and co-pilot.

•1/48 scale missile set (Item 12670) available separately.

Looks like no weapons with the kit. A bit disappointing, especially if the kit is as expensive as I imagine it will be. I think AMK has a real chance to trump even this kit and be Tomcat king.