Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

Taken from Tamiya's own blog site:

##### 1/48 F-14A TOMCAT

•1/48 scale missile set (Item 12670) available separately.

Looks like no weapons with the kit. A bit disappointing, especially if the kit is as expensive as I imagine it will be. I think AMK has a real chance to trump even this kit and be Tomcat king.

Yeah, this was kind of a downer, but it is what it is. I'm still all in on this one (and the future AMK release).

Maybe I missed it on the sprue shots, but are there options for the new NACA gun vents and up-to-date chinpod, or is it all old school? Judging by the included markings (Alphas from VF-84 and VF-2), it may only be old school.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

The one piece wings seem a little off for Tamiya somehow. I guess in reality most Tomcats would be parked with the wings full back and will be easier to build that way. Still, just doesn't seem like Tamiya to leave out a detail like optional flaps after their last few offerings. I'm sure it's a quick early build too, but the fit of the part just in front of the windscreen seems less than Tamiya like as well.

Probably another sprue with the other wings.

At a glance here's what I see that I like and dislike. I agree with Jackman about the windscreen. A clever solution to what can be a challenging problem. It looks like the rear section of engines are single tubes and not two halves. Gets rid of a hard to address seam. Would like to see to forward fuselage. Wondering if it's a single piece or 2 halves and nose. As well as if there are any open panels/bays or not. Hoping for a one piece forward fuselage with no open panels/bays. We'll know soon enough. Dislike, the no flap and slats down. And how the vertical stabilizers come together. Now you have two seams in the middle of each stabilizers. Why not split them 50/50 so the seam is on the outside of the part and far easier to clean up. No weapons=bummer. But after seeing how they break up the missiles.. :unsure: :blink: :wacko: . Would rather have some beautifully molded one piece gems from AMK. Hope you guys are reading this! I think it's great timing for AMK, now they will know what they're up against. They're competition is great for us builders.

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148

What does this mean, exactly? I mean specifically in this context. Because I'm really struggling with this.

It means Tamiya is giving someone money.

They could give me money if they wanted to.

Or not pay any money and say it's an E-14 Pussycat.

Just like how academy's russian jet boxings in the last few years have been M-29, S-27 and S-30, instead of Mig-29 Fulcrum, Su-27 and Su-30 Flanker.

or you could move to China and not give a rat's bottom about copyright or licensing fees.

Just an odd choice to have a 'working wing'...

Tomcat kit manufacturers need to get on board with the Hasegawa wing method. I guarantee most serious modelers are going to build kit, say "this will have the wings full swept" or "this one will have the wings extended," and that'll just be the end of it. I highly doubt they'll be walking by their shelves and stopping to play with the wings. The "operational" Tomcat wings make it a PITA to paint, but at the end of the day, I can get past that. If this kit is on the same level as their Viper, then I've died and gone to heaven 10,000 times

Not so odd, when the previous two options were assembling the geared wings into the fuselage early and having problems with the painting or scratching the paint. Tthe other option was like hasegawa with tabs and slots to insert the wings in either of two positions only at the end of the build.

But looking at the photos they must be using the method that Hasegawa first used with their Macross VF-1 kits (Roboetch) since the late 90's. The gears have those protruding plates for a reason, you install the gears while gluing the fuselage but leave the wings off, then you can paint and handle them separately and at the end just insert them in the tabs. A really easy improvement that gives you working swing wings and yet be able to paint/handle separately, something that I've wondered why nobody implemented in their swing wing kits since.

Here's a link to the step in Hasegawa 1/48 scale VF-1 showing what I mean.

edit: didn't see Fighting Eighty Four already posted the features list mentioning the detachable wings.

Did anyone else notice the 1/48 US Missile Set display board at the top of the picture with landing gear and front wheel well items. So does this mean No weapons at all like Hasegawa or just some extra stuff....curious indeed

Well, in over the last decade Tamiya has caught on on how to milk modelers money by either not including everything or selling their own aftermarket, and yet the kits without 'everything' aren't necessarily cheaper.

Edited by Inquisitor

That's a great news for me to see a new Tomcat.

I have think to wait the AMK model but now, that's different.

For the armement set, not a big problem with the Eduard Brassin set (Phoenix, Sparrow and Sidewinder)...

GO TAMIYA to make B & D version.

Here are some tentative details I can share.

It will have a Pilot and RIO crew figure.

Positional wing sweep.

Detachable wing sweep seals and bladder bags.

Movable canopy.

Boarding ladder and steps.

Decal sheets VF-84 and VF-2.

Officially licensed.

but no weapons

but no separate control surfaces

a price north of $100

And still an unknown quantity.

Of course we do know that the AMK control surfaces are positional. Not sure about the wing setup, but it does come with the boots. If the Russian Weapons are indication to the F14, we'll not need aftermarket items. Mold quality was beyond outstanding in the MIG (better than anything from Tamigawa).

gary

I don't know what the story is with Tamiya and the Accurate Miniatures Beaufighter but I can assume you mean they released ine to deliberately destroy AM . If so that sounds a little like a conspiracy theory to me.

Considering there was a rumour, IIRC, before the 2015 show that Tamiya was going to release an F 14 it seems likely to me that they have been working on an F 14 for a lot longer than AMK.

So yeah while the timing sucks for AMK it's a bit of a stretch to imply they've deliberately designed a F 14 to specifically to compete AMK

Tamiya did release the Italieri kit last year. I saw a couple of them.

gary

Or not pay any money and say it's an E-14 Pussycat.

Just like how academy's russian jet boxings in the last few years have been M-29, S-27 and S-30, instead of Mig-29 Fulcrum, Su-27 and Su-30 Flanker.

or you could move to China and not give a rat's bottom about copyright or licensing fees.

Not so odd, when the previous two options were assembling the geared wings into the fuselage early and having problems with the painting or scratching the paint. Tthe other option was like hasegawa with tabs and slots to insert the wings in either of two positions only at the end of the build.

But looking at the photos they must be using the method that Hasegawa first used with their Macross VF-1 kits (Roboetch) since the late 90's. The gears have those protruding plates for a reason, you install the gears while gluing the fuselage but leave the wings off, then you can paint and handle them separately and at the end just insert them in the tabs. A really easy improvement that gives you working swing wings and yet be able to paint/handle separately, something that I've wondered why nobody implemented in their swing wing kits since.

Here's a link to the step in Hasegawa 1/48 scale VF-1 showing what I mean.

edit: didn't see Fighting Eighty Four already posted the features list mentioning the detachable wings.

Well, in over the last decade Tamiya has caught on on how to milk modelers money by either not including everything or selling their own aftermarket, and yet the kits without 'everything' aren't necessarily cheaper.

I may be more inclined to feel the whole "working wing" concept if it was done the way Hase did on that Macross kit.

I believe "detachable" listed on the features refers to the sealing bags behind the wings, and not the wings themselves, but I could be wrong.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

It's probably a good thing that AMK hasn't yet finalized the marking options for its kit (I hope?). Now that Tamiya has confirmed theirs to be VF-84 and VF-2, AMK can go for other squadrons to differentiate itself.

"Hope you guys are reading this! I think it's great timing for AMK, now they will know what they're up against. They're competition is great for us builders." - This is very true!

I wonder why Tamiya would still opt to go down that same path for a non-weapon-inclusive kit when they knew very well, I guess, that modelers are complaining about this blatant "deficiency". It's really a bummer!! :bandhead2:

Just my personal opinion, changeable wing position with the airbag & sealing plate is not a bad idea at all; at least I could display it in different positions on my glass display cabinet every month! ;)

Looking at the sprues kit looks like old school Tamiya perfection (but withouth weapons?) with as little parts as possible.

So there is place for AMK next step advanced kit design approach wih single piece missiles and positionable contr. surfaces (I find this a must for Tomcat 1/48) and we will have best of both worlds :woot.gif:

With old Hase (I am not parting with my 5 unbuilt kits) and new Tamiya and AMK the movie star will be covered fully (and HB).

P

Every year people have been saying Tamiya was releasing an F-14.

If you don't know about the AM Beaufighter you must not have been modeling at that time, it was no coincidence Tamiya released one. AM had it tooled and ready to be released.

Tamiya is a smart business.

If it's pre 2001 then yes.

So, you're saying Tamiya found out Acc Min were doing a Beaufighter, then decided to deliberately tool one to knock them out of business?

Is there any evidence to support that? It just sounds a little far fetched to me.

Tamiya did release the Italieri kit last year. I saw a couple of them.

gary

The rumour last year was a new tool kit, with the associated Tamiya Kit no, (as opposed to the number sequence they use for Italeri reboxes)

I was going to say the nose looks too pointy, but I looked at my F-14 photo and realised its my brain thats too pointy and the kit is fine!

The kit looks good, I'll buy one if the price is right.

Edited by Alternative 4

I wonder why Tamiya would still opt to go down that same path for a non-weapon-inclusive kit when they knew very well, I guess, that modelers are complaining about this blatant "deficiency". It's really a bummer!! :bandhead2:/>

I can live with no weapons , if it keeps the price down (whether that's actually going to happen or not , who knows)

Compare to GWH, Kinetic and AMK, I am disappointed with this release by Tamiya. The plastic looks soft, seems like they subcontract the molding design to a third party vendor. It looks like Italeri plastic. I think the brand "Tamiya" still means a lot to people.

Edited by Jeffrey

Yeah, the detail looks rather soft and not much of a big enough improvement over the Hasegawa kit (except that it will most probably be a much easier model kit to build). It looks like it's been sitting in some drawer for the last 15 years, so for my money's worth, I'll wait for the AMK one.

Edited by ijozic