Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

Simple:

Tamiya is ideal kit for weekend builders (i nicknamed this styla a manager modeling - ideal kit for relax)

And AMK was probably a ideal kit for enthusiast.

Only why i can´t understand is abscence of weapons in Tamiya box. Few years back Tamiya released a F-16CJ in 1/72 without weapons, later make the same kit with added weaponry and now release Tomcat without missiles ? WHY ?! And missiles isn´t in one pieces - why ? :(

Okay, so maybe the wings can't have the flaps or slats deployed, but man they look good on the buildup! If that is one-piece, they represented the division between the flaps and the upper wing covers very well! Pretty much every other kit I have seen just does them as simple recessed lines.

BTW Darren, do that early gun vent please. That way I can do Swordsmen bird from the Gulf of Sidra incident. I've been wanting to do that jet for years, but hadn't worked up the nerve to do it with the Hasegawa kit (even with your resin for it).

Edited by Jay Chladek

Well, I'm not a huge F-14 fan, but when AMK announced that they were doing one, and after seeing their Mig-31 and the fact they are doing one of my favs, the Mig-25, then AMK will get my hard earned Moolah (money) and support! Also, if I want to arm the plane, I won't have to buy a separate kit to do it. AMK, you get's my dough!

Cheers

Brad

The companies that should be worried are revell and hasegawa.

Hasegawa, maybe... but not Revell. It's a guess on my part, but I'll bet neither Tamiya or AMK will offer their new kits at *anything* approaching the cost of the revell kit. I'm not gonna pass judgement on either the Tamiya or AMK kits until I've got them both in my hand... and I'll likely get both, but the Revell kit will continue to be my go-to kit for all my commission work and casual builds. They simply can't be beat for the cost, and I doubt either Tamiya or AMK will even try (both kits will likely be well north of the $60 mark... probably well north of the $70.)

Edited by Skull Leader

Multiple piece main gear wells..... LAME. Hopefully AMK fixes all the annoying over engineering of the Hasegawa kits. I will buy AMK before anything if they find a way to make sure you don't get that hideous join behind the cockpit when attaching the forward fuselage!

Anyone notice how the wing glove seals and inflatable bags are different? Based on the current information, these are detachable and can be positioned once the model is completed. Maybe that is why we haven't seen the upper fuselage parts.

13116481_10153760168862874_6414702727316280370_o.jpg

61114_2.jpg

Amazing,

We have new Tomcat from Tamiya. We have some pictures of a couple of built up models. We have some pictures of sprues.

So far, we have nothing from AMK. Nothing to compare with this new Tomcat from Tamiya. Not even CAD images. Nevertheless, this thread has plenty of posts in which it seems otherwise. Amazing...

To me it looks as good as the F-16. Honestly, another 1/48 Tomcat is not needed anymore.

Edited by galfa

Well, the Tamiya one does have pilots, so of course it's epic.

Otherwise it would be unbuildable for 'galfa'.

Looking forward to this one.... and the one from AMK as well. Hope the market doesn't hit a saturation point where AMK changes their plans.

Cheers,

John

Otherwise it would be unbuildable for 'galfa'.

Looking forward to this one.... and the one from AMK as well. Hope the market doesn't hit a saturation point where AMK changes their plans.

Cheers,

John

It shouldn't. The AMK, from my limited involvement in the project, is going to be high parts count and marketed toward the modeler who wants a lot of detail. We can go by their MiG-31 as a baseline. Will the AMK become vaporware? It might. I'd love for Martin to come on and at least give an update of where the company stands. I think they should still go ahead with the project, as they can hit the late A's, B's, and D's. Tamiya does have a track record of not coming out with other variants for quite some time.

Amazing,

We have new Tomcat from Tamiya. We have some pictures of a couple of built up models. We have some pictures of sprues.

So far, we have nothing from AMK. Nothing to compare with this new Tomcat from Tamiya. Not even CAD images. Nevertheless, this thread has plenty of posts in which it seems otherwise. Amazing...

To me it looks as good as the F-16. Honestly, another 1/48 Tomcat is not needed anymore.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you. It doesn't look near as nice as their F-16. I'm somewhat of an F-14 aficionado, and I'm extremely intrigued by this release. There is no doubt it will be a very nice kit that fits extremely well and is easy to build. But looking at the sprue shots, the detail doesn't look near as crisp as the F-16. It's also interesting that they went with multi-piece main gear bays. That's one the of knocks on the Hasegawa kit. If they fit well, then that will negate some of the negatives of that. If you are saying that we don't need another 1/48 Tomcat because this Tamiya kit is the end all, be all, I'll have to disagree with you again. We have the AMK MiG-31 as a baseline. If we base what the AMK F-14 will look like on what the MiG-31 looks like, it is hands down better than the Tamiya kit. That's not to say the Tamiya kit is bad. In rank order, the Tamiya kit will be second IF the AMK kit lives up to expectations. AMK could very easily shut the project down. We'll just have to wait and see. As I posted earlier, the Tamiya kit looks to be a cross between the Hasegawa and R/M kits as far as engineering and detail. I think that's a good thing. We need an easy-to-build Tomcat. It will definitely sell well. I plan on buying a couple (although I've got a dozen Monogram kits to get through) as well as the AMK if/when it comes out.

I've heard there will be a few more "tweaks" done before the production release. Based on that, this will be a fun and easy to assembly kit once it becomes available for the consumers. I don't know how many come in a case, but I'll but my card down for one case.