Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

There's little point. flap/slat options are nice, sure... but in all the Tomcat models I've ever built (numbering somewhere between 20-30 at last count), I've only ever built ONE with the flaps/slats dropped, and that's because the customer asked for it that way. It isn't as huge a deal for the Tomcat because majority of the time it was on the ground, the wings were swept (which means slats/flaps were up)

ROOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ah. I'm not that big of an F-14 aficionado as some, so I haven't paid that much attention overall. I've never built a 1/48 Tomcat except for a pair of Monogram ones back in the 80s, and don't have any in the stash in any scale. This one looks like it will do quite nicely for the single example I plan to build, though, so I'm looking forward to the release.

Come on over to the dark side. You know you want to!

Doubt this is him.

He was banned? Really? I must have missed that one. It's always a shame whn a member gets the boot. What straw finally broke the camel?

Okay, I seem to recall this was a Tomcat thread...

Probably one of he most unpopular decisions ever on this board.

He had 17322 posts on this site, I valued him as did many others.

I think what's being referred to is the row of sealing plates above the bag. It's a small detail that has been missed on Tomcat models up to this point. Some have asked why people wouldn't like this kit. It's going to be a great kit, and the surface detail looks fantastic.

Yep, here it can be seen better:

2dl6xk0.png

Surface detail is deeper than Hasegawa and I do really like this effect!

Edited by Alpagueur

The AMK kit may not have *any* features at this point. Have they even finished their first pass at the CAD? Have they even *started* drafting the CAD? My impression was they were more in the research and planning phase, while finishing up other projects.

(in fact, didn't Martin say elsewhere that they were pushing the MiG-25 ahead of the F-14 in the production schedule? It's possible we won't see the AMK kit until this time next year.)

(in fact, didn't Martin say elsewhere that they were pushing the MiG-25 ahead of the F-14 in the production schedule? It's possible we won't see the AMK kit until this time next year.)

Fine by me, I can wait. If I bought a Tamiya F-14 tomorrow I wouldn't get to it until next year anyway.

My reasons need to be the same as everyone else? If it will satisfy you, the first set of photos were "ho hum" (for me), and after seeing more and some additional details, I became more impressed and decided "yes I want to buy this." Sheesh

"Tamiya" and "new" aren't automatics for me. I don't have unlimited funds. In addition, I choose very carefully where I spend my money. But I'll seek your counsel in the future.

Well aren't you in a good mood. Seek counsel with me in the future if you wish, but it really won't be necessary. If you can write sarcasm then you should be able to read it too.

Edited by is it windy yet?

I have noticed that it is the first time(?) that twin Sidewinder rails have been included in a Tomcat kit, the problem is that the Tamiya weapons set only provides 2 Sidewinders so you will have to rob another kit or buy 2 sets of the weapons kit.

Robert

I have noticed that it is the first time(?) that twin Sidewinder rails have been included in a Tomcat kit, the problem is that the Tamiya weapons set only provides 2 Sidewinders so you will have to rob another kit or buy 2 sets of the weapons kit.

Robert

No, it seems there are 3 sprues in the weapons set.

You could always dip your toes in, Joe, by just building F-5 Tigers and painting them black.

Oh, I've built F-5s. And Scooters. I like Scooters. But I won't paint them black - I like the Navy Adversary schemes in the grays, blues, greens and browns.

I don't have anything against the F-14 per se, I just don't particularly want to build more than 1. They're kinda like P-38s in that all the available kits are a PITA to build. That may change, though, with the Tamiya bird coming. I do intend to build a VF-142 gray and white bird, and would be interested in perhaps doing a VF-1 first cruise airplane.

Robert

Believe it or not, I seem to recall Revell putting at least the spacer pylon in one of their B or D releases. They also had the Bullwinkle pod, which was never seen in plastic before that.

Fine by me, I can wait. If I bought a Tamiya F-14 tomorrow I wouldn't get to it until next year anyway.

Same here. Heck in my case two years from now...maybe :lol:. Take your time AMK ;).

:cheers:

Robert

Believe it or not, I seem to recall Revell putting at least the spacer pylon in one of their B or D releases. They also had the Bullwinkle pod, which was never seen in plastic before that.

yeah, the revell kit had the spacer... and after BOL rails were introduced, it wasn't uncommon to see a mix of LAU-138s and LAU-7s on the same jet when the dual loadout was employed, so it could be built from the kit.

Well aren't you in a good mood. Seek counsel with me in the future if you wish, but it really won't be necessary. If you can write sarcasm then you should be able to read it too.

Just adding to the flushing sound this place has had recently.

Oh, I've built F-5s. And Scooters. I like Scooters. But I won't paint them black - I like the Navy Adversary schemes in the grays, blues, greens and browns.

Whoosh!

Black F-5 = MiG-28.

Movie_black_F-5_peeling_paint_1.jpg

(I got your reference, at least ;)/>/>)

Robert

YES! This is awesome.

CATM-9 and a ACMI pod!

Hats off to the first guy who builds a Tomcat inverted over a black "MiG 28" - "Communicating" :taunt:/>

I'm already working on it. I'm even trying to incorporate a small, flashing LED for the Polaroid in Goose's hands. :woot.gif: