Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

Honestly at first I thought the Tamiya kit looked very vanilla and I believe I posted as such when it was first announced. But the more I see of it and the more I look at reference photos I think the Tamiya kit will suit me and I suspect many other modelers just fine. OOB it builds a more natural looking Tomcat sitting on the ground/deck as seen in photos. Hey options are good but more often then not open panels, deployable flaps and slats etc lead to more work for the modeler to close them up neatly. So to me I'll take the Tamiya offering. If the Tamiya kit doesn't turn your crank you could wait for the AMK kit whenever it arrives...but its also a 'D' not an 'A' so you'll have to wait longer of its an F-14A you want to build.

:cheers:

MoFo, the really sad thing about that Testors model going for so much is that it's complete crap. Hasegawa limited edition Tomcats went for ridiculous money MSRP. I remember seeing Hasegawa's 1/48 F-14B with some VF-11 last cruise markings retailing for $120 and still not including the weapons or all the parts to build what you saw on the cover.

I hate the dropped flaps and slats on Tomcat models. 99% of the time, they are up and the wings are swept back. The only time the flaps/slats are deployed is when they are landing, taking off, or undergoing certain maintenance. It takes that much more time to glue all those parts onto the wing. I'm so happy that the wings are solid pieces. Positionable flaps/slats may be the standard for modern kits, but so are a multitude of engraved rivets, and we know everyone loves those! :D/>

Completely agree! I cannot wait for this release!

I hate the dropped flaps and slats on Tomcat models. 99% of the time, they are up and the wings are swept back.

I'm so happy that the wings are solid pieces.

Amen Brother.

FWIW I don't recall ever seeing actual proof that there was to be no weapons included from the start. Maybe someone's interpretation of what they saw / heard at the time lead to a bit of misinformation. Something lost in translation maybe - who knows. Good news is the bangoes are included.

I hate the dropped flaps and slats on Tomcat models. 99% of the time, they are up and the wings are swept back. The only time the flaps/slats are deployed is when they are landing, taking off, or undergoing certain maintenance. It takes that much more time to glue all those parts onto the wing. I'm so happy that the wings are solid pieces. Positionable flaps/slats may be the standard for modern kits, but so are a multitude of engraved rivets, and we know everyone loves those! :D/>

Yup with you 100%

Amen Brother.

FWIW I don't recall ever seeing actual proof that there was to be no weapons included from the start. Maybe someone's interpretation of what they saw / heard at the time lead to a bit of misinformation. Something lost in translation maybe - who knows.

I think Tamiya changed their mind rather. Look what was posted initially on http://tamiyablog.co...obby-show-2016/

61114 1/48 Grumman F-14A Tomcat (tentative name)

carrier-based fighter F-14 Tom Cat of the United States Navy, which currently also boasts enormous popularity. F-14A is the initial production type is added to finally 1/48 masterpiece machine series. Characteristic variable wing is movable work together both wings. Fuselage as presumed dead, switch expression some parts, accurately models both of the wing forward state-recession state. When combined with missile set of simultaneous release, you can reproduce the powerful weapons mounted state.

★ total length 398mm. ★ cockpit interior and legs storage also sense of precision sufficient. ★ realistic RIO doll pilot and the rear seat is using the latest digital modeling technology. ★ marking two types with the VF-2, VF-84 belongs machine. Please enjoy the F-14A of the era was the most colorful.

61115 1/47 F-14A Weapon Set A US air-to-air missiles set (tentative name)

1/48 F-14A set of essential air-to-air missile not to Tom Cat aircraft and released at the same time. F-14 dedicated AIM-54A and the AIM-54C Phoenix, AIM-7E and the AIM-7M Sparrow intermediate-, AIM-9H and set the AIM-9L / M Sidewinder short-range.

★ each part of the fin and the details of the mold is also a sharp finish. ★ such as the fuselage of the band and the note was prepared decal.

Edited by Laurent
That made me laugh! I also love the undersized heads. They look like Barry Bonds after he took all those steroids!

ah that's why, so it's a small head ^_^... it seemed to me the arms were too big and long ... at least in the first kit was so then I do not know if Hasegawa've corrected them

Yeah, before the introduction of the DFCS into the F-14, you could always wander around Oceana or Miramar and pick out the Tomcat guys. They were the dudes with the ridiculous biceps, because they as much wrestled with the plane as flew it. After DFCS, the F-14 went from a jet you flew with your whole body to a jet you could fly with your fingertips if the trim was right. Hasegawa's boxed pilot figures were probably pre-DFCS guys. Their figure set pilots were post DFCS. :lol:

Yep IMO The way Tamiya is doing it serves the Vast majority of Modelers. Dirty Tomcats are as stated and this leaves open room for aftermarket parts. if You want a dirty bird or the AMK offering...If Tamiya had every option in the box then it would cost so much most would pass on the kit. As for price we know it will be expensive and For this kit I predict an MSRP of $115.00 with a street price of apx. 85.00. I was thinking 99.00 MSRP before they added the Missiles. A bit pricey yes but still on par with Hobby Boss' F-14 series.

I believe the lights made of clear plastic could rise price of this kit up to $200.

This must be really sophisticated and expensive technology to make such part this way...

Another issue that was brought up earlier was the lack of clear parts for the lights. I dunno 'bout the rest of you, but I cannot stand it having tiny transparent parts to put on. In 1/48 scale, the F-14's wingtip lights are about the size of a pinhead and just beg to be dropped and never seen again. I can get an adequate effect with a touch of chrome silver and a drop of Tamiya clear red or green. HUD combiner glass, yeah, that should be a clear part. LANTIRN lenses or TARPS camera windows, yes, absolutely clear. The practically microscopic lights that ruin the lines of the wingtip if they go missing, no thanks.

Oh... I am a little bit confused...

So the clear lights in the kit it is a problem, because you can lost such parts?

So it is better to not to have such things - you can not to loose the thing you do not have.

And the wings are better without any positionable parts, because they are easier to assemble?

So it is better to not to have such parts, which you have to assemble if you have it?

So what about canopy? It is fragile, and it is clear. You can crack it and then this is a problem.

Maybe canopy is also not necessary because it causes problems during assembly?

Forgive me, I was sure it is forum for model makers...

Yeah, man. I'm sure REAL model makers would prefer to place every button and switch in the cockpit, too. I mean, hell, some folks, if they don't have 1/48-scale copies of every infinitesimal component used on the real assembly line, they fry a circuit.

Nice effort at a straw man argument, there, but you are missing the point. Lots of kits forgo tiny things like wingtip lights in favor of sanity and nobody cries about it. If it's something you absolutely must have, cut off the molded wingtip lights and make your own. As to the flaps/slats issue, I think I have seen two or three F-14 builds in 1/48 out of hundreds where the builder had the option to hang everything open and actually did. 95% of the F-14 builds are going to be wings clean. If you want to build with it all out, AMK is also releasing a Tomcat that will give you this option.

Yeah, this is a forum for model makers, but model makers come from all walks of life, in all skill levels, with all different varieties of spare time and all interest levels. Be tolerant. We are all in this hobby.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, man. I'm sure REAL model makers would prefer to place every button and switch in the cockpit, too. I mean, hell, some folks, if they don't have 1/48-scale copies of every infinitesimal component used on the real assembly line, they fry a circuit.

Nice effort at a straw man argument, there, but you are missing the point. Lots of kits forgo tiny things like wingtip lights in favor of sanity and nobody cries about it. If it's something you absolutely must have, cut off the molded wingtip lights and make your own. As to the flaps/slats issue, I think I have seen two or three F-14 builds in 1/48 out of hundreds where the builder had the option to hang everything open and actually did. 95% of the F-14 builds are going to be wings clean. If you want to build with it all out, AMK is also releasing a Tomcat that will give you this option.

Yeah, this is a forum for model makers, but model makers come from all walks of life, in all skill levels, with all different varieties of spare time and all interest levels. Be tolerant. We are all in this hobby.

Seems like Solo is pushing his same arguments like in the Kinetic's Hornet thread, and there Raymond already gave a very rational answer about the extra cost for features most modelers won't use. :rolleyes:/>

Maybe, but Kinetic gave us almost all clear lights possible, even such tiny piece of clear plastic for those lights (1x2 mm dimensions, really easy to eat by carpet monster):

5959256060_409a67abbc_z.jpg

Also Kinetic's Hornet has got all wing parts positionable.

I don't think that Raymond believes that those features are not necessary and not used.

I do believe that he thought about such things like inspection panels, nothing more.

Maybe, but Kinetic gave us almost all clear lights possible, even such tiny piece of clear plastic for those lights (1x2 mm dimensions, really easy to eat by carpet monster):

Also Kinetic's Hornet has got all wing parts positionable.

I don't think that Raymond believes that those features are not necessary and not used.

I do believe that he thought about such things like inspection panels, nothing more.

Because most of the Hornets you see on ground or parked will have the flaps down due to hydraulics and wings folded or not. Whereas tomcats most time you see them with wings swept back and slaps & flaps up. And coincidentally that's the config most modelers tend to build.

Edited by Inquisitor

I know that.

All I want is to be able to choose what I want to make with this model.

It is strange Tamiya knew it with their F-16's, and now makes few steps back.

I know that.

All I want is to be able to choose what I want to make with this model.

It is strange Tamiya knew it with their F-16's, and now makes few steps back.

Let's get the blood flowing...

http://www.gonavy.jp....cgi?page:100=v

i definitely want to build my tomcats with flaps and slats down and dirty!

dunno why, but this pic looks so awesome..

14407.jpg

Edited by Red14