Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

i definitely want to build my tomcats with flaps and slats down

Tomcat with all opened wings is too beautiful, I agree with you.

But I can't understand the usefulness of this solution, also used on their 1/32 F-4E (although with different purpose)... to avoid a lightweight grouting it forces the modeller to a premature windshield gluing <_<

29cxtsh.jpg

Edited by Alpagueur

I think this is to avoid any problems with gaps between winshield and nose surface.

You don't need to sand surfaces near the clear part of canopy, what could be a little danger sometimes.

i guess the best solution would be to include a set of regular wings with the kit, and then have an additional set with slats/flaps for those that wish to get down and dirty.. i wouldn't mind paying the extra cash

i guess the best solution would be to include a set of regular wings with the kit, and then have an additional set with slats/flaps for those that wish to get down and dirty.. i wouldn't mind paying the extra cash

I believe AMK is going to do just that,but

I'm not 100 percent sure.

You might not mind, but I sure do! :P The MSRP has already been listed at $115. If you add in another set of wings with all the associated slat and flap parts, that price jumps even higher. As B Sin said, just wait for the AMK kit. It's going to have everything you want. The Tamiya kit will offer modelers a beautifully detailed, easy to assemble Tomcat, something that is sorely lacking in the modeling world.

I believe the lights made of clear plastic could rise price of this kit up to $200.

This must be really sophisticated and expensive technology to make such part this way...

Yeah the kit is worthless because they've not included 2 tiny pieces of clear plastic that you actually have to paint red or green anyway.....

I would...It's already an expensive kit, which is understandable noting the size etc. Considering most of those wings would never get used it seems like a waste of money for them

I have not written anything like this.

But luck of many small, easy to assemble parts (not luck of two lights - this model do not have any clear lights - there should be not less then 6 such parts plus spotlight on NLG) in such kit it is something not fair.

Ohh, i am so exited by this Big Bird, i guess they have done it so to keep it cost effective...just wondering, why did Tamiya do such lousy job with the engraving on their 32 scale Tomcat, maybe it was cost effective, i don`t know, i think it was stupid....i hope they include proper vertical tails with strengnthers in the future.....maybe i could use Hasegawa`s......but i am gonna get at least one of these...

Bjørn

Ohh, i am so exited by this Big Bird, i guess they have done it so to keep it cost effective...just wondering, why did Tamiya do such lousy job with the engraving on their 32 scale Tomcat, maybe it was cost effective, i don`t know, i think it was stupid....i hope they include proper vertical tails with strengnthers in the future.....maybe i could use Hasegawa`s......but i am gonna get at least one of these...

Bjørn

Because that model is 30ish years old and mounding technology has changed considerably since then. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Edited by Falconxlvi

You might not mind, but I sure do! :P/> The MSRP has already been listed at $115. If you add in another set of wings with all the associated slat and flap parts, that price jumps even higher.

oops, i meant the dirty wing set as an extra and separate kit like the weapon set was originally planned for..

oops, i meant the dirty wing set as an extra and separate kit like the weapon set was originally planned for..

Call me a wet blanket, but IMO it's highly unlikely that Tamiya will spend the money to do the molds for an extra set of wings just to cater to the 1% or so who are taking issue with this.

here's some quite clear sprue shot from MMZ

http://mmzone.co.kr/mms_tool/mt_view.php?mms_db_name=mmz_media&mms_cat=%5B리뷰%5D&no=687

can't wait Tamiya and AMK to release their F-14s!

Wow, those are very nice photographs, it is better in person. Trust me, you will be blown away with the detail and engineering in this kit!

here's some quite clear sprue shot from MMZ

http://mmzone.co.kr/mms_tool/mt_view.php?mms_db_name=mmz_media&mms_cat=%5B리뷰%5D&no=687

can't wait Tamiya and AMK to release their F-14s!

Love the way they laid out the tooling for the lower fuselage half. The MLG bay's will be sooooooo easy and attaching the intake runs well it is just gonna fall in place......

The best thing about this kit so far is how the windscreen is going to attach! The way they are doing it is going to be finely the most logical way to get that fared in look! Can't wait to see it

Cheers

Larry

Nitpick. The air crew mask hoses (specifically in the F-14As and Bs that were using the LOX system) ended at the chest. They fed into a regulator (in most cases, the CRU-79) that was covered by a zippered sleeve. Out of the other end of this regulator came a smaller diameter braided hose called the REDAR hose (it was manufactured by the R. E. Darling company) that plugged into a receptical for both oxygen pressure and comms. Later F-14s were either built or modified to use an OBOGS system, which interfaced with the box-shaped CRU-88 that mounted on a chest plate on the survival vest. Tamiya's crew hoses coming directly off the mask do not feed into the regulator or the REDAR hose is of the incorrect texture. No matter, really. These are still the most accurate polystyrene Navy fast jet crewmen I have yet seen and I am very excited about the prospect of building a good number of these planes. $85 street price is totally doable.

Edited by Swordsman422

Really, really looking forward to this kit. But why haven't we seen any sprue shots of the fuselage top? Also very curious why the mid section of the lower fuselage is a separate part.

Cliff