Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

The Academy kit was okay but not great. Probably it's best aspects were the vast array of weapons and the sheer sturdiness of the model after it was built. That being said, the forward fuselage is too deep. You might have some fit issues with the vagabond slash from most decal companies. Best to wait and use it for something else.

I think Tamiya can get away with 4 boxings of the Tomcat (not including SE/LE releases). This F-14A, an A boxing offering a post 125-GR A, an F-14B (which depending on antennae, weapons, and RIO IP options can cover the entire career) and an F-14D, which, see previous. Bs and Ds didn't go through as many outward changes as the As did from start to finish. I hope Tamiya does it. Most of the subjects I want to model are late-life jets.

I'd say the wheel hubs look okay for an early F-14 like what we are getting in the box.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat/682191/L

Royal Resin did some early wheels too. Looks right.

http://www.royaleresin.net/products/productpage/r038.html

The main gear hubs changed in the early 80's. Just one more factor in the kit limiting period.

I do hope that they'll eventually offer a mid-late A kit as well as B and D.

Wheels changed in 1977. L shaped rudder stiffeners started in late 1977/early 1978.

Tamiya Tomcat is valid for 1975-1977 (some jets continued to have the old original wheels until 1980. I believe they were completely out of the system prior to 1981.

-brian

-brian

Not sure if it is just me but the MLG tires look too big relative to the wheel hubs.

f14-detail-gearmain-12l.jpg

MMZ20160702225343_2_8.jpg

Mark

On a completely un-wheel related note - Is that a really weird place for the Stars N Bars on that Tomkitty ??????

So many schemes so little time.

And that is what the "I want everything plus the kitchen sink crowd" miss.

Do you really want to build 8-10 F-14's all with flaps and slats out or spend time removing minor joins from wings once you have clipped and sanded the slats and flaps in the up,position?

No thanks I'm very happy with a clean quick great fitting build.

Then for the all singing and dancing swap the wings for a set from HB or grab the AMK one if it turns out as good as expected.

Can't wait for this one.

i think people just like having an option.. with a single piece wing, you can only build it one way.. with a multi-piece wing, you can build it two different ways.

it's like women! i like the pretty ones... some people are fine with plain janes.. to each their own! :D

Check all that tiny stencils... :rolleyes:

Yeah I noticed that too. Reminds me of those late 1970's early 1980's USAF F-4E's...modelers nightmare!

:cheers: