Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

As I wrote in my previous post I was referring to Tamiya finally doing an F-14 of their own after "years" of people begging, pleading, and speculating that they were working on one. It's finally here after how long a wait. In regards AMK I am sure when they finally get around to it they will do fine. But right now we have a Tamiya kit due out in the next couple of months and they will ride a pretty big Tomcat wave and scoop quite a few sales from the casual Tomcat fan looking for one or two easy to build F-14's...IMHO of course.

Cheers!

Oh ok; gotchya! :)

Happy Turkey Thursday!

Good news! Looks like the weapon set included is both early and late air to air missiles. Window mask will be included. Going over the instructions now and this is an awesome kit.

70BC83B8-2918-4688-BE05-07FCA32BDB1F_zpss9twj6iw.jpg

Can you please clarify on this: is it a) the weapons are now included with the kit and include the early and late weapons, or b ) the separate weapons kit includes both early and late weapons.

Edited by Parabat

That's the way it is on the real thing.

6943479_orig.jpg

True but there is no real need to split the fuselage because of it. Monogram, Hasegawa, Academy heck not even Hobbyboss did it that way. That area could have been duplicated by molding in the surface detail. It's a unnecessary seam. Curious to see how AMK will break up their kit.

Steven L :wave:

I honestly don't mind how Tamiya has divided up the rear hull as I think it will look more accurate so along as it fits without any need for filling and/or sanding (and we are talking Tamiya here so odds are it will be a drop fit). Could they have done this to make later releases of later versions of the F-14 easier some how? Either way, I like what I see so far from this kit. I do agree that it would be nice to see what AMK's Tomcat looks like but so far... :tumble:...

:cheers:

Iranian markings!!! Wow! Now that makes the kit exotic and makes me interested :)

I hadnt really warmed up to A kit. But now I m thinking I could have one :)

True but there is no real need to split the fuselage because of it. Monogram, Hasegawa, Academy heck not even Hobbyboss did it that way. That area could have been duplicated by molding in the surface detail. It's a unnecessary seam. Curious to see how AMK will break up their kit.

Steven L :wave:/>

That's the neat thing about this. All the other kits don't replicate it accurately, if at all. Ironically, this is one area where you want a seam to show.There is a distinct gap between the two areas, and seam on a plastic model would be perfect.

Even though I am excited to see what Tamiya has for subjects on their decal sheet it is rare that I use their decals. I have not had good success in the past. I know to use warm water and something like Mr. Mark Softer to get them to settle down too. The biggest issue I have is that they are too thick. Maybe others have figured out how to use them but not me. Although having said this, maybe these are a new style of decals.

I have my Fightertown Decals anyway so all set there. Have to figure out if I can use VF-1 markings on this kit too.

Even though I am excited to see what Tamiya has for subjects on their decal sheet it is rare that I use their decals. I have not had good success in the past. I know to use warm water and something like Mr. Mark Softer to get them to settle down too. The biggest issue I have is that they are too thick. Maybe others have figured out how to use them but not me. Although having said this, maybe these are a new style of decals.

I have my Fightertown Decals anyway so all set there. Have to figure out if I can use VF-1 markings on this kit too.

It depends on which markings you have. VF-1 flew with colorful markings for what Tamiya is giving you, but you may have to cut/paste the BuNo. The rest of the markings looked identical, except for names on canopy rails. FT decals would work by changing the BuNo. They also had a sheet for later when they were on the Ranger. You'd have to check to see if that aircraft had the ECM blisters or not. Again, a change of BuNo and you're good to go.

It is strange that Tamiya delivers two kinds of airbags: one for swept, and one for opened wings, when you realize that there are no positionable flaps and slots.

Looks a little like lack of consequence.

Edited by Solo

3A1051AE-9312-4CDB-9198-25B5EA0DD9D7_zps9dsfdinm.jpg

I love everything I'm seeing and will definitely be buying a few of these kits. But, I'm not sure I understan what's going on with the wings and I'm still wondering if there will be a second set of wings in this kit or another release based on their design. In the top photo, there are clearly two sets of airbags that go behind and under the wing depending on position. There also appears to be two sets of upper wing seals at the bottom right of the lower photo. I'm assuming one for the wing forward and one for the wing back? So if you're providing a number of parts that are specific to the wings position, then why would you provide a wing connection gearing that allows the wing to move? I'm assuming that if you install all the parts to have the wing placed in the fully swept position, that there will be room to move the wings forward, but why? I like the tab to be able to slide the wings on, but that really only makes sense if the wings are full forward. With the wings fully swept back, the tips are not much wider than the tail. Might make painting easier but still a head scratcher for me. We need to see the instructions!

Cliff