Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

That's where the various missile variations were different. They're giving you one main body and then the parts for the variations. Like the AiM-9 Sidewinder variants had different seeker heads but the back half of them were all the same.

I know that.

But why it is not possible for Tamiya to make such simple shape as Sidewinder as one part?

AMK could do that, so for Tamiya it is impossible?

This breakdown is really strange for me.

I know that.

But why it is not possible for Tamiya to make such simple shape as Sidewinder as one part?

You have no idea how AMK is going to do the Aim-9s.They may do it the same way.You really should wait until you see shots of the AMK tomcat.Oh wait its been what a year since they said they were going to do an F-14 but nothing to see so far. Maybe this is cheaper and easier to produce the different versions when they produce other models of the F-14. To keep comparing Tamiya's F-14 to something you can't even see is kind of stupid if you asking me.If you had spruce shots of the AMK that would be different as you could see what was including. And yes I have the Mig kit and its nice.

Bernie McKenn

That... Is beautiful. I was going to keep my 3 unbuilt Hasegawa Tomcats and build them, but nah... I want that.

Did your test shot come with new paint mixes for Tamiya acrylics, or does Tamiya just recommend their sprays?

Looks like the Iranian markings on the decal sheet are not for the original pre-revolution markings, or they would say IIAF instead of IRIAF.

The top fuselage joints look much better than I thought they'd be. Intriguing. For the Nats, is the plan to finish this in simply a gray primer or do the paint and colors? I personally think that just the gray primer would be much more effective in presenting the surface details (assuming the rest of the build is done well).

You seem to have taken that approach last year with the 1/48 F-4J at the Nats. I have to say it didn't look convincing at all, but that was primarily due to all the parts being 3D printed and put together rather coarsely. The Tomcat should look much better in plain gray.

Does any me in the world not love Tamiya engineering and turning something very difficult into three swipes with 1600 then Mr Surfacer.

Starting to wonder how many I will be able to fit in my suitcase now on a Tokyo overnight...?

I know that.

You want to see bizarre breakdown take a look at AMK's multi part canopy for the F-14.

I'll take sidewinder fins anyday over gluing canopy components to a frame.

It's not just strange it's simply crazy.

...But why it is not possible for Tamiya to make such simple shape as Sidewinder as one part?

AMK could do that...This breakdown is really strange for me.

Yeah, about as strange as a multi-piece canopy... :whistle:...

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Build up continues to look nice!

Brad

Agreed! Looks like a stellar Tomcat kit based on what we're seeing :thumbsup:.

:cheers:

gtypecanare, could you do me a favor? Could you take a picture of the top leading edge of the intake in profile? From the pictures I saw earlier, it looked as though the top of the intakes continued to curve down a bit too much. I'm just curious if it was the picture itself or in fact they do curve down. It's looking great, BTW! I can't wait to build one....or many....of these.

the build look simply stellar...

the sidewinder thing would have been more acceptable if they where not sold separately as a weapon set! (is this still the case? the kit will be sold without weapons, and you'll have to buy the weapon set of your choice? ...and the tamiya one will make you pay for some multi part breakdown to save money and make no possible use for the spare plastic for the modeler, who will have pay 1$ less his tamiya set... ??? am i wrong? i hope so...)

Aren't models suppose to be about.... putting things together? If everything comes as one piece, what's the point?

Jamie

then you should try some KittyHawk kits, some of them should match your expectations of what model building is all about!rofl.gif

seriously, one piece missiles might not be your cup of tea, and no one will force you to use them. but to each their own, like some like prepainted PE IP and others don't. it's not less what modeling is about, it's about trying to focus on the part you like the most in the hobby.

if scratchbuilding is the only real way plastic modeling should be, for you, then do it that way. you're free! (i hope so! if not, i'm deeply sorry for you)

Edited by mingwin