Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

the build look simply stellar...

the sidewinder thing would have been more acceptable if they where not sold separately as a weapon set! (is this still the case? the kit will be sold without weapons, and you'll have to buy the weapon set of your choice? ...and the tamiya one will make you pay for some multi part breakdown to save money and make no possible use for the spare plastic for the modeler, who will have pay 1$ less his tamiya set... ??? am i wrong? i hope so...)

I'm quite sure it has been mentioned a couple of times that Tamiya did a 180 regarding the exclusion of the weapons from the kit.

From the kit description posted on Luckymodel.

Product Description

The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is a supersonic, twin-engine, two-seat, variable-sweep wing fighter aircraft. The Tomcat was developed for the United States Navy's Naval Fighter Experimental (VFX) program following the collapse of the F-111B project. The F-14 was the first of the American teen-series fighters, which were designed incorporating the experience of air combat against MiG fighters during the Vietnam War.

This specific model kit depicts the F-14A Tomcat variant. The F-14A was the initial two-seat, twin-engine, all-weather interceptor fighter variant for the U.S. Navy. It first flew on December 21, 1970. As a U.S. Navy fighter it fulfilled the dual roles of long range interceptor and air superiority fighter, and later bomber. Deployed from 1974 to 2006, it successfully employed a "swing wing", which offered variable sweep. The F-14A, which covers most of the early variants, was the most prolifically-produced variant of the Tomcat. 79 were exported to Iran before U.S.-Iranian relations began to deteriorate, and later took part in the Iran-Iraq War.

Fuselage length: 398mm; wingspan: 212mm - 408mm

Moveable swing wing - it can be depicted at angles from 20-75 degrees.

The aircraft is depicted in parked position, with landing gear deployed.

Separate parts are included to depict the different airbag and sealing plate shapes with the wing at 20 and 75 dgrees.

Canopy can be opened

Ladder and step components can be built in deployed or stowed positions.

Comes with 3 marking options: 2 for high-visibility F-14As from the VF-84 (Jolly Rogers) and VF-2 (Bounty Hunters) U.S. Navy Fighter Squadrons, plus 1 Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) unit F-14A.

Extra parts are included to depict the refueling probe and its bay, which were uncovered on IRIAF F-14s.

2 highly-realistic figures are included to depict seated pilot and Radar Intercept Officer (RIO).

Missile parts depict air-to-air missiles: AIM-9 Sidewinders (x4), AIM-7 Sparrow (x4) and AIM-54 Phoenix (x4).

Mark

thank you mark, i indeed have miss it when it was announced... sorry... still the tooling was done prior the change of mind of Tamiya. that makes the whole thing more acceptable. lets now see how they look when assembled and painted...

AIM-9L on top and AIM-9G on the bottom. The rear body is the same on both, so it saves plastic.

Surface area, not plastic.

Plastic is cheap.

Surface area in injection molding is very expensive.

I don't get why people are complaining so much about the weapons assembly... do you want Tamiya to build the kit for you too? Why even bother getting a model? Dragon Wings, Witty Wings, and about half a dozen other companies would be happy to overcharge you for a prebuilt diecast jet where you don't have to glue anything together.

A good model of jet it is a model easy to assemble.

Not a model with as many parts as possible.

I do believe Tamiya forgot about this rule.

Huh?

In what way is this kit "maximising" in parts count? It already has no separate flaps and slats. Not to mention the absence a fully displayable gun and engines. Heck, it doesn't even have poseable speed brakes.

Mark

Edited by gb_madcat_sl

A good model of jet it is a model easy to assemble.

Not a model with as many parts as possible.

I do believe Tamiya forgot about this rule.

And yet earlier on in this thread you were whinging that it didn't have slats and flaps....

curious breakdown for AIM-9Ds and AIM-54s...

See earlier in the thread for the reason. It's so different variants of the missiles can be done without increasing the area needed for molding them. It's actually quite efficient.

Because we have companies that can give us one piece missiles, and now modellers want all the companies to do so.

Happy Modelling

Brad

I don't get why people are complaining so much about the weapons assembly... do you want Tamiya to build the kit for you too? Why even bother getting a model? Dragon Wings, Witty Wings, and about half a dozen other companies would be happy to overcharge you for a prebuilt diecast jet where you don't have to glue anything together.

See earlier in the thread for the reason. It's so different variants of the missiles can be done without increasing the area needed for molding them. It's actually quite efficient.

:thumbsup: good idea then

do you want Tamiya to build the kit for you too?

:rofl: Tamiya's fault that has always accustomed us too well

Edited by Alpagueur

Give it enough time and they probably will: http://tamiya.com/en...rwork/index.htm

rofl.gifthank you MoFo! how can i haven't though of that earlier while reading all those "Buy-Die-Cast-if-don't-wanted-unnecessary-breakdown-missiles" posts!

Tamiya is notorious for its "master work collection" and i've seen those models often on ebay. that give a funny taste to all those comments. at least Tamiya choose to do so for economical purpose(missile breakdown)...and don't try to sells it as "that's what modeling is all about folks!"smile.gif(or that's what modelers asked for...)

Edited by mingwin

Like every product, it depends on sales volume.

eeeeeeeeh, not necessarily. Their single-seat vipers have pretty much rocked the modeling world since their release, and yet the family model has yet to see the light of day (despite allegedly being "ready to go" according to some modelers)

I'm pretty sure they're using a magic 8-ball these days.