Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

Because we have companies that can give us one piece missiles, and now modellers want all the companies to do so.

Happy Modelling

Brad

God help us if we have to put a plastic missile together!

Great job on this Tamiya, can't wait to get mine!

Edited by Dan 88

Thanks for the blog topic!

"Parts for the Sake of Parts"

I have no problem with making things as few pieces as possible as long as details don't suffer, but it really just depends on what you get from the hobby. The assembly process is a means to an end for me. I don't mind building, but sometimes it's just silly for things to be 12 parts when they can be 3 or 4.

And sometimes there are 12 parts instead of 3-4 because it gives you multiple options that 3-4 can't give you within the budget of the kit design and development.

Tamiya may go hey if we slide mild a set of sidewinders we can only afford to put in one type. Just one moment if we only put in one type I'm sure the forum mechanics will rip us to shreds over only putting one type of sidewinder in the kit.

Ok then multi part it and put in two types number one! Done.

Obviously forgetting we have all become spoilt(me included) by beautiful slide molded weapons from Great Wall etc.

On the bright side it's not a multi part canopy with seperate glass areas.

I think if Tamiya had designed a solution for slats/flaps down and opened spoilers (as Hobby Boss made with its Tornado) it would be the definitive kit in all scales... instead doing so Tamiya automatically excludes all those who prefer Tomcats with all opened wings <_<

Edited by Alpagueur

eeeeeeeeh, not necessarily. Their single-seat vipers have pretty much rocked the modeling world since their release, and yet the family model has yet to see the light of day (despite allegedly being "ready to go" according to some modelers)

I'm pretty sure they're using a magic 8-ball these days.

Because perhaps, it won't sell.

I think if Tamiya had designed a solution for slats/flaps down and opened spoilers (as Hobby Boss made with its Tornado) it would be the definitive kit in all scales... instead doing so Tamiya automatically excludes all those who prefer Tomcats with all opened wings <_<

Tamiya kits have always been designed to be easy and straight forward to build and yet look great at the same time. To allow the novice modeller to come up with something that looks great, and yet provide a good canvas for advanced detailing for those who want it. Nothing's changed at all with the new F-14. If you want a Tomcat with everything then wait for AMK's.

Hi,

Has anyone seen the type of gun gas vents we're going to get with this one?

So far, I haven't seen that part...not even in the 60 sprue shots that Brett Green showed on Hyperscale.

I can't find images of the beavertail in there either. Does anyone know which one of those we're getting?

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse

Hi,

Has anyone seen the type of gun gas vents we're going to get with this one?

So far, I haven't seen that part...not even in the 60 sprue shots that Brett Green showed on Hyperscale.

I can't find images of the beavertail in there either. Does anyone know which one of those we're getting?

Cheers, Stefan.

That's a good question.

For the markings they are providing, the kit will need to include the older 7-hole vent as well as the later one with the grilles.

Mark

I thought I saw images of the beaver tail. It's not the very early one with the dialectric panels, but the very stinger end of it is separate to accommodate updates with the ECM antenna. GGVs I think only the mid-period vents are included. A set of photoetch tail stiffeners would be nice.

That's a good question.

For the markings they are providing, the kit will need to include the older 7-hole vent as well as the later one with the grilles.

Mark

Actually, only the standard two-grilled vent is necessary. VF-2 flew jets with the two-grilled vent in those markings. With that said, the seven-grilled vent would open up a lot more markings options. Once I've the kit in hand, I'll cast the seven-grilled vent as well as the ECM antenna so you can do a block 115 and above. I'm also test casting a TCS pod in clear resin so you don't have to mess with the lens or the light. We'll see if I can pull off a NACA vent and a B and D conversion as well.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Actually, only the standard two-grilled vent is necessary. VF-2 flew jets with the two-grilled vent in those markings. With that said, the seven-grilled vent would open up a lot more markings options. Once I've the kit in hand, I'll cast the seven-grilled vent as well as the ECM antenna so you can do a block 115 and above. I'm also test casting a TCS pod in clear resin so you don't have to mess with the lens or the light. We'll see if I can pull off a NACA vent and a B and D conversion as well.

I hope you are able to produced the above Darren. It would pretty much make the Tamiya F-14 a one-stop-shop for the Tomcat's I am interested in building.

Can't wait to get this kit!

:cheers:

I think if Tamiya had designed a solution for slats/flaps down and opened spoilers (as Hobby Boss made with its Tornado) it would be the definitive kit in all scales... instead doing so Tamiya automatically excludes all those who prefer Tomcats with all opened wings <_</>

What, both of you?

Being a *little* facetious, but where there are flaps down options available, most of the models I see are still built flaps up - and a legion of modellers complain about the difficulty of getting the to fit "clean".

Tamiya know their market.

Shane

We also have people complaining that the kit is too expensive, yet asking for extra features that would only add to the cost. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Often the same people too I note.. :)

Most of them also appear to be those to which the hobby is simply whinging about the hobby.. But that's cool.... it's their hobby.

Edited by a4s4eva

i'm just curious about the people who do NOT want the multi-part wings with the slats/flaps/spoilers... do you fall into one or a combination of the following categories?:

a) older

b ) are clumsy with their hands/fingers

c) have poor vision

d) lazy

e) not very skilled in modelling

f) cheap

g) have a short attention span

h) not very imaginative

Edited by Red14

Well for one I like the approach Tamiya has given with the clean set up. I have looked at many pictures of parked Tomcats and in 99% of them the flaps are all in. The tailplanes however seem to be slightly up so I hope I can do that.

I have already built a Monogram Tomcat and it was ok but I am looking forward to a new kit. I have several of the Hasegawa versions but not built any. Probably going to pre-order my Tamiya kit as I am pretty excited for the release. The non dropped flaps are not a deal breaker for me.