Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

I would love to see some cool markings options for this, for high-viz VF-1 Wolfpack, I just love the way these beauties look with the red stripe and wolf heads, maybe a VF-111 Sundowners low-viz?, some aggressor squadron(s)? Something from Top Gun...MiG or Su Killers?

I would love to see some cool markings options for this, for high-viz VF-1 Wolfpack, I just love the way these beauties look with the red stripe and wolf heads, maybe a VF-111 Sundowners low-viz?, some aggressor squadron(s)? Something from Top Gun...MiG or Su Killers?

All you could ask for is available from Fightertown Decals. Furball also has a nice sheet, but boy is it hard to find. I've been looking for the VF-124 markings from that sheet to no avail.

All you could ask for is available from Fightertown Decals. Furball also has a nice sheet, but boy is it hard to find. I've been looking for the VF-124 markings from that sheet to no avail.

Darren are you talking about this sheet? https://m.facebook.com/FurballAeroDesign/photos/pcb.1106997106064714/1106993462731745/?type=3&source=48

If so they just reprinted it. Should be out soon from what I can gather.

Edited by achterkirch

Darren are you talking about this sheet? https://m.facebook.com/FurballAeroDesign/photos/pcb.1106997106064714/1106993462731745/?type=3&source=48

If so they just reprinted it. Should be out soon from what I can gather.

Hot diggity dog! Woohoo!!!! Thanks for the gouge on that. I completely missed that he was redoing that sheet.

Hot diggity dog! Woohoo!!!! Thanks for the gouge on that. I completely missed that he was redoing that sheet.

Anytime! They are also making a 1/72 version for those of us who build in that scale too.

Edited by achterkirch

geez, I'm going to get in trouble soon.

Let's say,,,,,,,,,right around the time that sheet comes out in 1/72.

It's better to beg forgiveness later than to ask permission now. :)

haha, Jimmy

Maybe the sheet will be out in time for the Nats, and I can just bring it home with all the other "hun, look what I found, ain't it cool" stuff.

Shhhh.....Don't tell anyone, but the links are actually active now. I'll make an official announcement tomorrow morning.

Ordered! Thanks for reprinting these!

Edited by Falconxlvi

It's possible to build these Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat with the Fightertown Decals? I have that decal sheet and all 5 jets have the old beaver tail, so I don't know if it's correct to use those decals. BTW, I'd love to use these declas in the new Tamiya F-14A

It's possible to build these Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat with the Fightertown Decals? I have that decal sheet and all 5 jets have the old beaver tail, so I don't know if it's correct to use those decals. BTW, I'd love to use these declas in the new Tamiya F-14A

The only ones that have the early boat tail are the VF-1 and -2 markings on the second sheet. He's got a couple of other sheets that have a bunch that you'll be able to use on the Tamiya kit without mods. Steel Beach will have some easy mods so you can expand your decal choices.

The only ones that have the early boat tail are the VF-1 and -2 markings on the second sheet. He's got a couple of other sheets that have a bunch that you'll be able to use on the Tamiya kit without mods. Steel Beach will have some easy mods so you can expand your decal choices.

That's great news Darren! I bought the Fightertown set too and would love to do those jets! As a matter of fact, I would love to do all the gray over white Tomcats - my favorite scheme!

Edited by Falconxlvi

Ooohh I was talking about the old fightertown sheet, the VF-1 only. All the jets there have the early boat tail. Tomcats from 73 to 78. I will need a few sets from you 😉😉

I already have a Hasegawa VF-1 kit for those decals but now I don't know....

Helmet markings would be nice. But as for patches, I've found that just printing them on a good quality matt paper, cutting them out and applying them with white glue (touching up the edges a little with paint if it is a dark colored patch) does the job fine for representing the thickness of a patch. Now, if Tamiya were to mold the patch borders onto the pilot figures with distinctive raised borders... then decals would be PERFECT for them.

Tamiya has released Italeri kits before. I hope this is a Tamiya tooled kit. Going by description members have copied here, there is no specific mention of 'new tooled'. So if its a reboxed Italeri kit, its going o be trash. I hope I m wrong.

It's a long thread, but mostly worth reading. Definitively a new-tool kit.

Tamiya has released Italeri kits before. I hope this is a Tamiya tooled kit. Going by description members have copied here, there is no specific mention of 'new tooled'. So if its a reboxed Italeri kit, its going o be trash. I hope I m wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Tomcats, would you like to see the rudder stiffeners and a TCS pod included in a kit like this?

How many more squandron markings can be had from this kit if it did include these details?

Edited by gtypecanare