Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

That's because Tamiya did the research in concert with some Canadian warplane organizations. So we got it first as a thank you. For example Vintage Wings of Canada was instrumental in the F4U research.

Or the Canadian distributor decided to take a hit to their profit margin to get their shipment by air as opposed to losing sales altogether to the likes of HLJ and Lucky Model.

Right now, I'd love to have more info on what gun gas vents and chin pods are included. I wonder if Tamiya will do a late A release at all or if they will move straight to B and D.

Maybe there's a good chance that they follow previous patterns (P-51, P-47, F-16). Start with a "base" kit then work up to the final release with the most options?

I admit that Iranian Tomcat looks cool. To think we will have a new tool 1/48 F-14A in our hands soon...exciting :woot.gif:!!

Tamiya Thursday Tomcat News:

* Weapons will be included, 4x AIM-9, 4x AIM-7, and 4x AIM-54.

* IRIAF markings to be included, with markings from VF-84 and VF-2.

* Parts for the IFR (In-Flight Refueling) probe and bay will be included.

* Pricing is set and to be announced.

Let your Hobbytown stores know we will have the test shot on display at the National Convention July 13th and 14th, 2016 and then at the IPMS National Convention August 3rd thru 6th, 2016.

* Weapons will be included, 4x AIM-9, 4x AIM-7, and 4x AIM-54.

* IRIAF markings to be included, with markings from VF-84 and VF-2.

Kewl !

I so appreciate the regular updates. The news just keeps getting better. Time for me to get that hobby shop job so I can get 'em by the case at a discount!

So... Is the molding of the nose and upper fuselage still a deep dark secret?

Honestly, even at $115 (which we all know is probably the high end price) its going to be well worth the cost, especially now that it includes weapons. It's Tamiya after all which more then likely means pure ease and joy to assemble. Considering its release is just a few short months away coupled with many peoples hunger for a new tool Tomcat (not just F-14 fans either) and Tamiya beating the competition to market (with the more popular F-14A version too) I see this kit selling like hotcakes.

:cheers:

I believe it.

But cost of Tamiya's F-16C, the best model of this fighter in 1:48, is half of this price: $50-60.

This Tomcat will cost even much more then excellent F-15C GWH.

The most expensive Tomcat in 1:48 of all time. :)/>

Not really if you count the Hasegawa F-14 and everything you needed to get it to look right. $60 for the kit, two weapons sets if you were going air-to-air and wanted AIM-54s (or three if you wanted bombs too) at $20 a set, $25 to replace that horrible cockpit, Another $20-$30 for miscellaneous resin just to portray what was on the lid but not actually in the box. You could be $150 deep into a Hase Tomcat before you factored in supplies and decals. If the Tamiya Cat is truly accurate, even MSRP saves us a little.

Here are images of our test shot that will be on display at Hobbytown National Convention and IPMS National Convention, please stop by the Tamiya booth to see these sprues in person.

3C786BD7-434B-4CDE-8E08-767EF7A24778_zpsfpol9ulk.jpg

E69799F4-EE8C-48C5-A834-5B83AB00068B_zps7maqu3g5.jpg

269C0DCC-433B-43B6-A575-BD3740C9DF6B_zpsfs2a6s64.jpg

Edited by gtypecanare

I don't know.

But I know I like to have many option.

And moving flaps and slats it is something usual for modern kits.

It doesn't make model assembly more difficult, but it makes me possibility to build model as I want.

Tamiya is this kind of manufacturer, from which I expect everything possible.

I hate the dropped flaps and slats on Tomcat models. 99% of the time, they are up and the wings are swept back. The only time the flaps/slats are deployed is when they are landing, taking off, or undergoing certain maintenance. It takes that much more time to glue all those parts onto the wing. I'm so happy that the wings are solid pieces. Positionable flaps/slats may be the standard for modern kits, but so are a multitude of engraved rivets, and we know everyone loves those! :D