Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

Not sure if it is just me but the MLG tires look too big relative to the wheel hubs.

We can measure this.

The F-14 used 28 ply, 37 x 11.5-16 tires. Michelin's aircraft tire databook gives us the tire's specs - 37" Diameter Overall (max); 33.2" Diameter Shoulder (max); 18.75" Outer Flange Diameter and 16" Rim Diameter.

Punch those figures into a drawing program, lay them over the Tamiya wheel and you get... this:

Part1_zpsoqkisc0e.jpg

I have no idea what the actual diameter of the Tamiya wheel is (it should be 19.10 - 19.58 mm, FWIW), but the proportions are fine. The outer diameter and hub diameter are pretty much spot on. The shoulder and rim look pretty close, too.

It's fine.

Speaking of Tomcats, would you like to see the rudder stiffeners and a TCS pod included in a kit like this?

How many more squandron markings can be had from this kit if it did include these details?

George - here's my take. The kit looks amazing and I know it'll be a great Tomcat kit. But for the modeler that cares about details, this release only allows you to build an F-14A from 1975-1977. That's a very narrow timeframe. Starting in 1977, you need the L shaped rudder braces, the late wheels and then after that, the TCS nose camera. Add those parts and you can build a Tomcat up through the 1980s. Add the ECM bumps and you get up to 1992. Add late antennas, Naca gun vents you're up through 1996. Then add more ECM bumps and Lantirn GPS and you can up through the entire life of the Tomcat. Personally, as is, you've limited the build ability to such a small window timeframe that while very colorful Tomcats, has very limited markings.

Fightertown has quite a few jets in that timeframe covered now and more on the way.

And as for people earlier talking about patches and helmet markings, check out any Fightertown Decals sheet, and we've done them since day 1. The new Tomcat Data and Weapons sheets has standard Tomcat patches and triangles. ;)

Outside of Tamiya adding those parts above, a great update set aftermarket could include them and sell a ton. :whistle:

Can't wait!

cheers,

brian

We can measure this.

The F-14 used 28 ply, 37 x 11.5-16 tires. Michelin's aircraft tire databook gives us the tire's specs - 37" Diameter Overall (max); 33.2" Diameter Shoulder (max); 18.75" Outer Flange Diameter and 16" Rim Diameter.

Punch those figures into a drawing program, lay them over the Tamiya wheel and you get... this:

Part1_zpsoqkisc0e.jpg

I have no idea what the actual diameter of the Tamiya wheel is (it should be 19.10 - 19.58 mm, FWIW), but the proportions are fine. The outer diameter and hub diameter are pretty much spot on. The shoulder and rim look pretty close, too.

It's fine.

Thanks for that.

Seems that Tamiya went for the actual specs for a fully inflated tire. Not sure if it will look good on a model though.

Sounds like a job for Royale Resins.

Mark

I'm sorry, but in what way would it not look good?

Minimum inflation diameter is 36.1". That scales out to a .01875"/ .5 mm difference in diameter between maximum inflation and minimum inflation. If you want to know what that would mean on the kit parts, the line showing the outer diameter is actually offset by about that much on the left side of the tire (the photo is at a slight angle, so the tire is skewed slightly). You're not going to notice it on your 1/48 Tomcat model.

The tire isn't flattened, which will alter the 'sit' of the model, but the proportions of the wheel, and tire, are fine.

It's also worth noting, the image you've posted is of a deflated museum jet. Inflated tires sit much higher:

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/tom_adkins/f-14/VF-143%20PORT%20MAIN%20MOUNT.JPG

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-14b_163227/images/f-14b_163227_20_of_27.jpg

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/f-14b/f-14b_22_of_27.JPG

c7c8a990e3394ebfacaa38515193f408.jpeg

... we get information from our headquarters in Shizuoka City ... . Please pay us a visit ... .

Who is the "we" I should look for? US Tamiya reps?

Gene K

So if I am reading this correctly, based on the info Brian posted above (and others throughout this thread) it doesn't seem like Tamiya would have to change a lot to this early F-14A release to produce later models of the 'A' Tomcat. If so, perhaps we are looking at the beginnings of a whole series of F-14A models to be released by Tamiya? It is a logical starting point to begin at the Tomcat's early operational career and progress forward from there. That and the 'A' is arguably the most popular version of the Tomcat.

Honestly I am really excited for this kit! Tamiya is going to sell these things like crazy!

:cheers:

Not sure if it is just me but the MLG tires look too big relative to the wheel hubs.

f14-detail-gearmain-12l.jpg

MMZ20160702225343_2_8.jpg

Mark

Mark, the most important issue is that wheel hub is totally not correct.

Strange, because this is really easy to check out during development.

So if I am reading this correctly, based on the info Brian posted above (and others throughout this thread) it doesn't seem like Tamiya would have to change a lot to this early F-14A release to produce later models of the 'A' Tomcat. If so, perhaps we are looking at the beginnings of a whole series of F-14A models to be released by Tamiya? It is a logical starting point to begin at the Tomcat's early operational career and progress forward from there. That and the 'A' is arguably the most popular version of the Tomcat.

Honestly I am really excited for this kit! Tamiya is going to sell these things like crazy!

:cheers:/>

Going by Tamiya breakdown of parts in their F-16 kits in both scales, it all seemed a formality for a two seat version. They even had the bottom of the vertical fin as a separate part to accommodate parabrake. But as we all know, the two seat version never materialized.

I also remember building their Iraq war Challenger kit. It had all parts for the NATO standard Challenger but that kit never came up in the market.

So based on experience, I dont know if Tamiya will release more F-14 versions. I hope they do.

Not correct for the jet you've shown, but it was correct for many tomcats at one point.

I'd say the wheel hubs look okay for an early F-14 like what we are getting in the box.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat/682191/L

Royal Resin did some early wheels too. Looks right.

http://www.royaleresin.net/products/productpage/r038.html

The main gear hubs changed in the early 80's. Just one more factor in the kit limiting period.

I do hope that they'll eventually offer a mid-late A kit as well as B and D.

Edited by Swordsman422

Tomcats had three different wheel styles, and Tamiya has rendered the earliest one, which is correct for the time period.

Here's the last style to be used: http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/tom_adkins/f-14/VF-143%20F-14B%20MAIN%20MOUNT%20WHEEL%20AND%20TIRE.JPG

Edited by andrew.deboer
Mark, the most important issue is that wheel hub is totally not correct. Strange, because this is really easy to check out during development.

Tamiya hub is correct for the early Tomcats (look below)... your picture shows the late type hub (A+/B/D versions)

F-14A_VF-2_USS_Enterprise_(CVAN-65)_1975.jpg

Tomcats had three different wheel styles, and Tamiya has rendered the earliest one, which is correct for the time period.

exactly. Ok guys already 26 pages of thread but when could we touch this kit with our hands? :tumble:

Edited by Alpagueur

Will I be able to do the VF-84 Jet from "The Final Countdown" out of the box from this kit?

That movie got me into Tomcats and I bet alot of kids back in the day. Heck I bet it even influenced some Anime shows, lots of Jolly Rogers flying around in space too.

Grindcore, Final Countdown was filmed in '79 and released the following year, so the Tamiya kit should allow that. You should be able to use the decals for VF-84 included, but instead of having the upper control surfaces white, paint them light gull grey like the rest of the upper fuselage.

For the first time, I will want to see AMK Tomcat before I consider a Tamiya product. This is a lot of compliment for a relatively new company to compare it with the quality benchmark of our hobby world.

Also, AMK is F-14D while Tamiya is F-14A. More interested in D versions.