Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

It is strange that Tamiya delivers two kinds of airbags: one for swept, and one for opened wings, when you realize that there are not positionable flaps and slots.

Looks a little like lack of consequence.

Does it really matter? As the modeller, you can choose to build the kit in whatever way you want. If someone wants to do his/her Tomcat sitting on the ground with the wings unswept and with flaps and slats up, what's the big deal?

What if someone else wants to do a Tomcat pulling up to a tanker to get gas? The configuration of the kit is perfect for it. It even has pilots!

What I am trying to say is this: There are times in life when you do not get what you want. But take a moment to consider that what you do not want may very well be what someone else does.

If this flap and slat issue is really bugging you, may I recommend the Hasegawa and Hobby Boss kits. They are still very much in production and are easy to find.

Mark

I love everything I'm seeing and will definitely be buying a few of these kits. But, I'm not sure I understan what's going on with the wings and I'm still wondering if there will be a second set of wings in this kit or another release based on their design. In the top photo, there are clearly two sets of airbags that go behind and under the wing depending on position. There also appears to be two sets of upper wing seals at the bottom right of the lower photo. I'm assuming one for the wing forward and one for the wing back? So if you're providing a number of parts that are specific to the wings position, then why would you provide a wing connection gearing that allows the wing to move? I'm assuming that if you install all the parts to have the wing placed in the fully swept position, that there will be room to move the wings forward, but why? I like the tab to be able to slide the wings on, but that really only makes sense if the wings are full forward. With the wings fully swept back, the tips are not much wider than the tail. Might make painting easier but still a head scratcher for me. We need to see the instructions!

Cliff

To be honest, I don't know why two sealing plates are provided. Those don't change when the wing is swept. There are gears on the wings, so I would imagine that if you want the wings swept, you put one set of sealing bladders on, and if you want to change it to having the wings in the forward position, you change out the bladders and put the other set on. The position of the wings/bladders isn't interconnected with the position of the flaps/slats.

Edit: Sorry Cliff, I meant to quote Solo.

Edited by Darren Roberts

It depends on which markings you have. VF-1 flew with colorful markings for what Tamiya is giving you, but you may have to cut/paste the BuNo. The rest of the markings looked identical, except for names on canopy rails. FT decals would work by changing the BuNo. They also had a sheet for later when they were on the Ranger. You'd have to check to see if that aircraft had the ECM blisters or not. Again, a change of BuNo and you're good to go.

Thanks for the info Darren. The sheet I have is 48080 so old school VF-1 in the Gull Grey over white, my favourite time for USN. Not sure how crazy I will be with Bu. No. If it is too much trouble to change I will say to hell with it and get it done. Who would know? Well you but who else :) :lol: :lol:

Edited by skyhawk174

Apparently the sealing bags are not intended to be permanently affixed to the model when completed. They are intended to be interchangeable after completion. I like the tandem gearing. Being abe to show off one of the F-14's prime features is pretty cool. The wing attachment is even better than Fujimi's 1/72 offering. And it does make aftermarket efforts easier for whoever decides to provide a set of down-and-dirty wings. I like also that the refueling probe door is separate. That'll be important for when later Tomcats are released. The probe door was often deleted during periods where the planes were flying long missions that required a lot of tanking. The door was flimsy and taking one of those down the right engine could seriously ruin a day.

can't understand the usefulness of this solution... <_<

e8sns8.jpg

that bay is obviously too shallow to simulate the cannon room... maybe is it intended to firmly secure the cockpit to a semi half before closing the whole fuselage?

Edited by Alpagueur
I am pretty sure those are AIM-9Js.

thanks... they seem J to me, too... here the fins are distinguished better

his.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

I think it's to choose between NACA vs old school vents.

:woot.gif: now everything is clearer thanks Jan!

Edited by Alpagueur

can't understand the usefulness of this solution... <_</>

e8sns8.jpg

that bay is obviously too shallow to simulate the cannon room... maybe is it intended to firmly secure the cockpit to a semi half before closing the whole fuselage?

It's so different gun vent arrangements can easily be produced. Think how tough the Hasegawa kit is with the multi-piece gun vent parts that usually don't fit. This way, if a later version is done with the NACA vents, the vent in the bulge can be put in and the whole thing is one piece. It's not intended to have a gun bay. You have to approach this kit with a different mindset. I think everyone keeps thinking along the lines of Hasegawa and Hobbyboss with all the open panels and varying versions. You have to think of it like the Revell/Monogram Tomcat kit only done to today's standard for fit and detailing. This kit is meant to be an easy to assemble, very nicely surface detailed model that goes together quickly and easily so that multiples can be build to use all of the Tomcat decals all of us have stashed away. I find it refreshing that Tamiya stayed away from the "we're going to open every access panel that could possibly be opened" trend that's been going on for the past few years. I would venture to say that a great majority of modelers close everything up, so having it already done is wonderful. It saves that much more time to get it finished.

It's so different gun vent arrangements can easily be produced. Think how tough the Hasegawa kit is with the multi-piece gun vent parts that usually don't fit. This way, if a later version is done with the NACA vents, the vent in the bulge can be put in and the whole thing is one piece. It's not intended to have a gun bay. You have to approach this kit with a different mindset. I think everyone keeps thinking along the lines of Hasegawa and Hobbyboss with all the open panels and varying versions. You have to think of it like the Revell/Monogram Tomcat kit only done to today's standard for fit and detailing. This kit is meant to be an easy to assemble, very nicely surface detailed model that goes together quickly and easily so that multiples can be build to use all of the Tomcat decals all of us have stashed away. I find it refreshing that Tamiya stayed away from the "we're going to open every access panel that could possibly be opened" trend that's been going on for the past few years. I would venture to say that a great majority of modelers close everything up, so having it already done is wonderful. It saves that much more time to get it finished.

thanks Darren. The surface detailing is great for me... rather nicely accentuated, so it won't disappear after a couple of paint coats.

Edited by Alpagueur

SNIP...

I find it refreshing that Tamiya stayed away from the "we're going to open every access panel that could possibly be opened" trend that's been going on for the past few years. I would venture to say that a great majority of modelers close everything up, so having it already done is wonderful. It saves that much more time to get it finished.

Darren I think you are so right. I don't seem to recall seeing much that Tamiya has with open panels with the exception of the 1/32nd kits and even those are great when closed. I think they use mini magnets or something like that.

I think seeing the layout of the gun panel says they will do future versions. However having said that, we all know that the time line for that is "when we feel like it" time frame.

I think I will ahead and pre order my Tomcat so at least I will have one coming when it gets released and I can relax and not be antsy when I see guys telling me all about their kit (think AMK MiG 31) :).

So if you're providing a number of parts that are specific to the wings position, then why would you provide a wing connection gearing that allows the wing to move?

The bladders and bags will almost certainly be attached via magnets, so that they can be removed and replaced if you want to re-position the wings... which would be easier if they are geared.

The wings are removable because it makes painting and weathering easier, no matter how you pose them. And given some of the design choices on the 1/32 F-16, it's probably also designed for storage and transportation for the domestic market.

The bladders and bags will almost certainly be attached via magnets, so that they can be removed and replaced if you want to re-position the wings... which would be easier if they are geared.

The wings are removable because it makes painting and weathering easier, no matter how you pose them. And given some of the design choices on the 1/32 F-16, it's probably also designed for storage and transportation for the domestic market.

thanks MoFo, those are good insights. I've always appreciated Tamiya's efforts to come up with innovative ways to build and transport model kits, I'm just hoping it dosent come across as "gimmicky". Personally, I don't like the magnet approach that was used on the Spitfire but to each their own...

Does it really matter? As the modeller, you can choose to build the kit in whatever way you want. If someone wants to do his/her Tomcat sitting on the ground with the wings unswept and with flaps and slats up, what's the big deal?

What if someone else wants to do a Tomcat pulling up to a tanker to get gas? The configuration of the kit is perfect for it. It even has pilots!

What I am trying to say is this: There are times in life when you do not get what you want. But take a moment to consider that what you do not want may very well be what someone else does.

If this flap and slat issue is really bugging you, may I recommend the Hasegawa and Hobby Boss kits. They are still very much in production and are easy to find.

Mark

I can't agree.

This is XXI century, and I do believe that such notorious model from such reputable company like Tamiya should be perfect in every detail.

Positionable flaps and slots, or clear position lights it is something Hasegawa made in their models in the eighties. It is nothing complicated and this is expected.

Of course, Tamiya's Tomcat is something I will buy and build, that is obvious.

But I can not tell than I am not very disappointed because such sloppy work. I don't want to make movable flaps on my own, I want it available just from the box.

Such good model for such serious price should give me all commonly found options (in other kits) available.

No, Tamiya doesn't owe me anything.

But I have some expectation, and I think I have right to be dissapointed, when I don't get what is natural in so many kits from less reputable companies.

You can understand my words as words of disappointment.

This is just like to buy Aston Martin and realize there is no GPS, radio and air conditioning in there. But it is perfect car, it is Aston Martin, so why are you dissatisfied?

I think I can be a little disappointed for this reason.

The speed build before the IPMS National Convention is underway.

Some trimming called out in the instructions for the TF-30 fairing.

7613DA48-7493-46FB-8E2C-88DD5BAFE916_zpsdrfedo6o.jpg

8530CF2D-526B-4E6F-9E1B-C2B7DA903322_zps4mrt2oar.jpg

Dry fitting the fuselage.

A08424BA-036B-4845-B744-165ED840563C_zpsu9ybog7w.jpg

Edited by gtypecanare

I'm finding it more and more difficult to figure out sometimes if people are serious when making comments or sarcastic or just making jokes of the hobby.

Thanks gtypecarnare for the images for those of us unable to attend. Looks like a tremendous winner.

...I find it refreshing that Tamiya stayed away from the "we're going to open every access panel that could possibly be opened" trend that's been going on for the past few years. I would venture to say that a great majority of modelers close everything up, so having it already done is wonderful. It saves that much more time to get it finished.

Absolutely!! I am SO GLAD not to have to deal with open this, dropped that, positional whatever. Tamiya (in my opinion) is doing what most modelers want. If you want to open this or that or drop something then the AM companies will no doubt come to your rescue.

Loving this kit!

:cheers:

Can you go into further detail about this trimming?

How east is it to see where to cut?

This is unfortunate to see in a kit that in all other aspects being geared to east construction. They would have been better off having separate and complete boat tails.

Cool Hand,

It was very easy to do. I would recommend using Tamiya's Fine Craft Saw II (item#74097) to accomplish this task.