Tamiya 1/48th F-14 Sept 2016

I completely agree with Spencer's commentary ... Thanks for posting the "perspective check"!

"Perspective check"?? You have to be kidding me!

It's a cheap and easy shot to so self righteously attack the messengers rather than appreciate their points of view as just other opinions ... that may differ from yours. Maybe focus on the kit and not the modeling "community"?

Gene K

Considering I'm building the Trumpeter one with Zactoman intakes I think I've done my part to make this happen!

Point taken....

But....they could decide to upscale later from 48 to 32? The market is still HUGE....for a 32 Tamiya Tomcat.

By the way: issuing the 48 Tomcat is well timed as Top Gun the movie was released exactly 30 years ago this year!!!!

+1

Brad

It's a cheap and easy shot to so self righteously attack the messengers rather than appreciate their points of view as just other opinions ... that may differ from yours. Maybe focus on the kit and not the modeling "community"?

Gene K

Gene K

+1 also...

at some points, this reminds me US car makers of a certain era, that where knowing the best what was good for the customer, what they wanted... hey! they where doing cars for nearly a century! they must know better...

...they may have been right, they may have known better... still happens what happens...

i'm not saying Tamiya is like US car makers of a certain era... just that the linked opinion reminds me of that...

Optional wings...?

OK, there's been a lot of talk about the wings...no flaps/slats dropped/extended. It occurred to me that, given the design of the wing box on this kit ("stubs" to attach the wings after painting), is it possible that a second wing sprue could be included in the production kit that provides for the flaps and slats to be displayed in the takeoff and landing configuration ? The optional interchangeable wing bladders are already provided, so...???

Just a thought...discuss.

13227388_10153760169287874_7325702305004434415_o_zpsovdmgdxa.jpg

Certainly would not be a hard thing to do...

Edited by 82Whitey51

I'm not sure you know the meaning of literally. And if you want to go down that path, the Hobby Boss 1:48 F-14 has a two man cockpit, just like the real thing. So not everything is "literally" inaccurate. But yeah, pitch forks and torches, because, like, you know, Hobby Boss.

Ok, I had assumed that it was clear that I was talking about dimensions, shape and detail. This is a silly argument. "It has two wings, so ha, it is not litteraly wrong, cuz that would mean it would have to have one or three wings."

I am not bashing hobby boss, I have lots and lots and lots of their kits. That does not change the fact that their F-14 is very inaccurate.

Depending on price point, I think the Tamiya kit might be aimed to replace the Academy kit in the market. Recessed panel lines for those of us who don't want the raised lines of the Revell-Monogram kit, but not having the complex build-up of the Hasegawa and Hobbyboss kits. And certainly a better nose and better fit that the Academy kit has.

Optional wings...?

OK, there's been a lot of talk about the wings...no flaps/slats dropped/extended. It occurred to me that, given the design of the wing box on this kit ("stubs" to attach the wings after painting), is it possible that a second wing sprue could be included in the production kit that provides for the flaps and slats to be displayed in the takeoff and landing configuration ? The optional interchangeable wing bladders are already provided, so...???

I think they will....and why not? although it would drive up the price...

Personally I think they made the right to choice regarding the wings without the flaps, slats, as they are positioned like that when parked. Unless, you want to make a flying display (say landing configuration) then the flaps, slats etc are a must...

Hmm, the HB kit beats the Hasegawa kit in regards to cockpit detail. So, there's that. I don't know why people think the HB kit is so bad. I love the Tomcat and I think it's a decent kit. Are there inaccuracies? Yup. But in the end, it's a whole lot easier to build than the Hasegawa kit. I'm sure the Tamiya kit will be even easier. Of course, after building these...see below...anything is easy. BTW, those are all Monogram kits.

8589666_orig.jpg

I don't dispute that, all I did was answer to the question what was wrong with that Hasegawa and HB kits, I didn't call it a POS kit or anything. I have a number of them and enjoyed and still enjoy building them. All I said was that the kit is innacurate. Why that was interpreted as weilding a pitchfork I don't know. I don't plan on getting rid of any of my Tomcat kits (Hasegawa, Italeri, HobbyBoss, Monogram), I plan on adding to the collection with the Tamiya and AMK kits. Because all those kits give me a different building experience and that is what I draw enjoyment out of.

So,

we have yet 9 sprues (8 + 1 for the missiles box):

Sprue F: GRU-7 ejection seats.

Sprue K: with TF-30 exhausts and F-14A early cockpits and ECM features.

Sprue D: tails, intakes...

Sprue A: wings

Sprue J: canopies.

Sprue E: one ML wheel, one spoiler, one pilot (so provide 2 times in the box)

Sprue H: cockpit

Sprue I: MLG and NLG

Sprue Z: missiles Phoenix, Sidewinders and Sparrows.

So we don't have yet:

Sprue B

Sprue C

Sprue G

And we don't have the 2 main parts (normaly parts B & C).

Sprue G is already reserved.

We can have sprues L and else.

Depending on price point, I think the Tamiya kit might be aimed to replace the Academy kit in the market. Recessed panel lines for those of us who don't want the raised lines of the Revell-Monogram kit, but not having the complex build-up of the Hasegawa and Hobbyboss kits. And certainly a better nose and better fit that the Academy kit has.

I was thinking kind of the same thing.

Optional wings...?

Believe it or not, I suggested that for the AMK kit.

Meh. The Tamiya F-14 looks like failsauce to me.

Why the Tamiya F-14 is Failsauce.

It looks pretty freaking awesome to me. I'm not an F-14 nut, so anything better fitting than the Hasegawa kit, and more accurate in overall outline than the Hobbyboss kit gets my vote.

What I also find interesting is this. If you do a Google search for "1/48 Hasegawa F-14" and click on the 'images' tab, there are just as many built with the flaps up than there are with the flaps down. If separate control surfaces were that important to modelers, why then are modelers choosing to put the Hasegawa parts in the up position?

I do not understand the choice of a one-piece wing ... and the sad thing is that no aftermarket manufacturer has bring out separated resin (or etched) flaps/slats sets yet <_<

so at the moment the only game in town would be a kitbash with the HB wings

Edited by Alpagueur

If you have any doubts about the craftmenship and quality of Tamiya, take a look at the De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI released last year and the 1/72nd 1/72 F-16 CJ Fighting Falcon Block 50 w/Full Equipment. The final product will be gorgeous. So sit back build a few Tamiya kits and enjoy this ride!

He's got some good reads on there.

Of course, whenever he agrees with me, he is a genius. And when he disagrees, he is a,,,,,,,well, right then, he's not. lol

I have 8 Hasegawa F-14 bulds, all 8 with the wins sweep. A 1/48 Tomcat is a big model, build several F-14's in 1/48 means a lot of space. Tamiya is making a smart decision IMHO. For me will a lot less time building F-14. Hasegawa wings have like 6 or 7 pieces each, HB is almost the same, so for me is a great time saver and trouble free solution.

Fine Molds 1/72 new F-14D use the same approach, wins with only 2 pieces, the model is simple gorgeous,at the moment the best F-14 model in any scale.

I don't think these model will be inexpensive at all, don't agree with the Academy substitution theory at all.

... and the sad thing is that no aftermarket manufacturer has bring out separated resin (or etched) flaps/slats sets yet <_</>

Dude...slow your roll, the kit isn't even released yet...aftermarket???

I do not understand the choice of a one-piece wing ... and the sad thing is that no aftermarket manufacturer has bring out separated resin (or etched) flaps/slats sets yet <_</>

You're kidding, right?

Sad that no aftermarket manufacturer has made resin control surfaces FOR A KIT THAT ISN'T DUE TO BE RELEASED FOR ANOTHER FOUR MONTHS?

:blink:

I will say, honestly, that I'm sure the kit will fit fantastically, and I imagine all the AM guys will throw detail parts at the hard core guys. My point really with my write up was just that it seemed like they could have done more. I don't think it's awful at all. Point of fact, odds are 90% in favor of me building any I do (this or the AMK kit) with flaps up.

There's no shortage of F-14 schemes I'd like to do, so I see myself building this one at some point. But from an engineering point of view I'm much more excited about the AMK kit...given the awesomness of the Mig.

I do not understand the choice of a one-piece wing

It's cheaper to tool, simpler to build, and more representative of the actual aircraft? Just a guess.