Opinions on Hasegawa 1/72 Falcons?

Can anybody share a few words on Hasegawa's F-16a+ and F-16b kits? I know they have simplified cockpits, but on the whole, are they more like Hasegawa's F-18 kits (blech!), or more like their F-4 kits (pretty nice)?

Is the detail engraving heavy handed or crisp? Is there any detail in the wheel wells and on the legs? Can the canopies be posed open?

They're simple to put together. Basic kits, early F-16s. Enough nice detail for 1/72. No problem using them if building a fleet. Can always get at cheap price!! I've tried some of the other manufacturers, but stick to Hasegawa. Only recently have been impressed with new Tamiya. BUT, the Hasegawas come with tanks and pylons/weapons(older, mind you)

I build a F-16D a twenty years ago - and it is a simple, good fitting (when i remember) kit - and look´s as twin seater Viper... And Hasegawa make (i don´t know as regular or limited edition in small scale) a F-16I Sufa and this is for me a most badass damm pretty lookin´Viper of all times ! Isra´missiles ! Humpback !!! Added tanks and gorgeous striking desert camo with big squadron badge tail art :D I think, when you need a simple and cheap F-16, you can´t make bad decission with Hasegawa offer. Yes, Revell´s F-16A/MLU was better for early or upgraded to MLU standard EU NATO members aircrafts and Tamiyas F-16CJ with weapons are gorgeous, but very expensive... and without weapons is overpriced. (Fighter bomber must have bombs and missiles...) Relative cheap is a F-16CJ/CG from Academy, but they have bad shape of radom...

I have built about 30 of these kits since 1986.

I love them.

Not perfect in details, but they are great A/B models.

The Revell of Germany (ROG) kit is better for the F-16C/D

William G

In my opinion the Hasegawa F-16 is the third best. Second is the Revell offering. I find it's good to build any F-16 up to block 40 then after that my choice is the Tamiya kit. I find that to be the best kit of them all. It's easy to make, hardly needs and filler and looks great!

I have built about 30 of these kits since 1986.

I love them.

Not perfect in details, but they are great A/B models.

The Revell of Germany (ROG) kit is better for the F-16C/D

William G

30 F-16s?!? Dang! Don't suppose you've got a group photo?

Well either way. I'm convinced. They can be had for a song, over at tower hobbies, so I'll be getting a few.

As far as kits go, I would agree that the Hasegawa F-16s are in third place, but they do have a lot going for them.

I like the Hasegawa B/D canopy much better than the Revell, as it has a uniform thickness throughout. Revell is thicker on the sides than on the top, which distorts the light when looking into the cockpit. Tamiya does not yet offer a two seater.

Hasegawa has also released a ton of different versions that Revell has not. Two seaters with spines, ADFs, vanilla D models, etc.

They are lacking in detail, I don't particularly like their external fuel tanks, and the molds are starting show their age. That being said, I keep coming back to them, and will keep building them as well.

Hoops

Can anybody share a few words on Hasegawa's F-16a+ and F-16b kits? I know they have simplified cockpits, but on the whole, are they more like Hasegawa's F-18 kits (blech!), or more like their F-4 kits (pretty nice)?

Is the detail engraving heavy handed or crisp? Is there any detail in the wheel wells and on the legs? Can the canopies be posed open?

Fine engraving, wheels wells pretty bare, canopies can definitely be posed open.

I like Hasegawa F-16 more than Revell one, the latter looks a bit too much fllat on the spine and the tinted canopy has a strange hue.

But is true that Hasegawa offering is very old, only a few parts like ADF tail and AMRAAM missiles has been recently retooled. That said if you add:

1- Master Pitot and reshape a bit the nose cone,

2- Aires exhaust

3- resin fuel tanks

4- resin seat

in my opinion you can build a state of the art 72 scale F-16 till Block 25, for newer variants go for Tamiya!

I like Hasegawa F-16 more than Revell one, the latter looks a bit too much fllat on the spine and the tinted canopy has a strange hue.

But is true that Hasegawa offering is very old, only a few parts like ADF tail and AMRAAM missiles has been recently retooled. That said if you add:

1- Master Pitot and reshape a bit the nose cone,

2- Aires exhaust

3- resin fuel tanks

4- resin seat

in my opinion you can build a state of the art 72 scale F-16 till Block 25, for newer variants go for Tamiya!

As long as you are okay with a single seater.

The only 1/72 F-16s offering any decent intake rendition are the Kinetic two seaters (Israeli Sufa and NATO blk 52s).

The Kinetics may have (according to some) shape issues around the nose, and deeper than normal panel lines (hidden after the tirt coat of paint), however they offer the best bang for the buck when it comes to P&W birds of prey.

Nicely detailed cockpit, only correct 600 gallons tanks and a full complement of advanced weapons to boot.