I believe the 2 on the starboard side were access panels to change the light bulbs that lit the port hole windows on the edge of the saucer. Light from the bulbs lit these 2 panels. The 2 panels on the port side of the saucer are just painted on.

I've always thought of them as just a form of skylight. Just don't put them on if you are doing a Pilot 1 version of the ship or a Constellation. Pilot 1 of course didn't have any lights yet. As for the Constellation, it didn't have them because the 18" AMT kit used didn't have them.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the Cutaway. It has the potential of being made into a stellar model. But it does need some help to really make those internal decks pop.

Jay believe me it has a lot of potential, however there are so many areas that need to be worked around.

Main issue is how to light the saucer section while having the ability to reattach the other half of the saucer and allow lights to function.

Thinking magnets and maybe small pin connector.

As to the secondary hull, I'm going to just cut the small section that is supposed to hold the port warp nacelle and keep it attached and structurally sound with the pylon permanently attached wiht the majority of the section visible.

The Starboard nacelle I need another full dome for the Bussard collector as that half dome is a bunch of poodo.

So.. I think this will be an interesting build here...

William G

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, that is a challenge. Magnets are a good idea. If you do it right, one pin connector with two prongs for power and ground could likely do it. I would look into perhaps a Futaba or JR style red power plug for RC car applications. Reason being is you could cut up the female plug so the socket is gone, but only the pins remain. That way you don't have too much of a friction fit when the plug is inserted from the port side saucer into the socket on the cutaway section.