For Martin@ AMK Keep The F-14 Release on Schedule

If they (AMK) came out with it tomorrow I still wouldn't get around to building it for a couple years...at best :) ! I have one or two kits in the stash to keep me busy :rolleyes:. No rush.

:cheers:

Oh I totally agree. But given the subject of the thread is 'please keep it on schedule', I was mostly just trying to point out that - based on their previous releases - they probably aren't going to make that schedule anyway. Most likely, we'll have to wait a quite a while before the kit is released.

But, let's also be clear that you are simply basing that on the fact that we haven't had any "concrete" indications that AMK is "on schedule." We also haven't had any to the contrary, so really you are simply speculating?

Rick

I will continue building my Hasegawa jet (very, very slowly) and wait for the AMK kit whenever comes up. There is no point for me buying the Tamiya one since it does not offer a lot more than the Hasegawa apart of the potential better fitting. In any case I have bought all the Aires and Eduard aftermarket.

I will continue building my Hasegawa jet (very, very slowly) and wait for the AMK kit whenever comes up. There is no point for me buying the Tamiya one since it does not offer a lot more than the Hasegawa apart of the potential better fitting. In any case I have bought all the Aires and Eduard aftermarket.

Not being a big Tomcat fan, I haven't had the pleasure of building a Hasegawa F-14. I am intrigued though having read so much about it. I am hoping that once all is said and done and Tamiya and AMK release their Tomcat's the Hasegawa kit will drop in price due to folks not wanting it anymore. If so I will give it a whirl if the price is right.

:cheers:

You're a braver man than I. I've built a couple Hasegawa's over the years and I'll gladly take a good fitting Tamiya kit over the struggle to build a Hasegawa kit.

You're a braver man than I. I've built a couple Hasegawa's over the years and I'll gladly take a good fitting Tamiya kit over the struggle to build a Hasegawa kit.

Darren,

A couple points to bring up here...

1. The Hasegawa Tomcat kit is different with every build you do. Different areas provide unique headaches with each project taken on. That being said, despite those headaches, they do build up to be quite nice looking.

2. I've built a few Hasegawa Tomcats, and I have built a few Monogram Tomcats... the magic you do to the Monogram kit is nothing short of stunning. The Monogram kits have always been a struggle for me because of how the fuselage is broken down. You sir, are a much braver man than I, because you take a kit that needs a lot of love to look good, and you make your builds look better than the higher-tech Hasegawa offerings.

3. If the magic that you do with the Monogram kits isn't proof enough of your skills, then I would like to bring up your A-5A build that you have in the gallery. Unbelievable.

More on topic, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the AMK Tomcat. I have the MiG-31, and if the Tomcat is half as good as that, I'm buying a dozen. Three words: "One-piece Phoenix".

-Nick

Edited by Neeko

Darren,

1. The Hasegawa Tomcat kit is different with every build you do. Different areas provide unique headaches with each project taken on. That being said, despite those headaches, they do build up to be quite nice looking.

2. I've built a few Hasegawa Tomcats, and I have built a few Monogram Tomcats... the magic you do to the Monogram kit is nothing short of stunning. The Monogram kits have always been a struggle for me because of how the fuselage is broken down. You sir, are a much braver man than I, because you take a kit that needs a lot of love to look good, and you make your builds look better than the higher-tech Hasegawa offerings.

3. If the magic that you do with the Monogram kits isn't proof enough of your skills, then I would like to bring up your A-5A build that you have in the gallery. Unbelievable.

More on topic, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the AMK Tomcat. I have the MiG-31, and if the Tomcat is half as good as that, I'm buying a dozen. Three words: "One-piece Phoenix".

-Nick

You are too kind, my friend! Building all those Monogram kits doesn't make me skilled, it just means I have no sense whatsoever! :D

This couldn't possibly be more true. I've built a handful of hasegawa tomcats now, and I've hit snags in different areas on EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. (still easy enough issues to overcome though)

There is something to be said for the Monogram struggle... at least it's consistent, and I know exactly what to expect from it. I'm a bit like Darren in that I could probably build the monogram kit in my sleep. It's comfortable and easy to mod up. (and it's really hard to argue with a $10-15 dollar price point for a 1/48 Tomcat with a good shape!)

Darren,

-Nick

This couldn't possibly be more true. I've built a handful of hasegawa tomcats now, and I've hit snags in different areas on EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. (still easy enough issues to overcome though)

Yep. SO true. Hase Tomcats are always an adventure. I've already made 5 attempts on that kit and ended up getting frustrated, being totally unhappy, and chucking all of them. I'm working on my 6th now, and I'm beginning to feel that I have to finish it just to prove to myself that I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, this is how I think the new canopy design AMK has hinted about is going to be. The canopy and frame will be one piece, the clear part of the canopy will be clear, the frame part will be solid plastic. That's the only thing I can think of that would make it really spectacular. Any thoughts on that?

Okay guys, this is how I think the new canopy design AMK has hinted about is going to be. The canopy and frame will be one piece, the clear part of the canopy will be clear, the frame part will be solid plastic. That's the only thing I can think of that would make it really spectacular. Any thoughts on that?

maybe some sort of slide molding technique that allows details on the inner/underside of canopy frame? ...but, indeed that a one piece/two colors(clear and whatever) canopy would be interesting...

I can't see how that would be injection molded in a cost-effective way, or why would that would be an advantage to the modeler (if masking is going to be needed anyway). The only thing that comes to my mind is a multi-part/slide molding where they get the omega shape of the cross section right without introducing a mold line in the middle. Even then there would be some faint mold lines elsewhere so I can't see that being feasible either. That said, I am eager to be surprised.