1:72 43Sqn Decals and Skyshadows

Hi,

I'm looking to do a 1:72 43Sqn Tornado F3 as the last one flying with the RAF, complete with Calibration markings, Camera Pods out the outer wings and a Meteor underneath.

Does anyone do correct decals for 43Sqn in this scale and has anyone got any spare skyshadows and pylons I could have? willing to pay of course!

TIA

Hi,

Xtradecal sheet X72067 has the correct fin cap style chequers with the 'Fighting Cocks' legend underneath, although it's OOP now. There was a Model Alliance sheet, MA72-137, which also has the same fin cap markings used once on a 56 Sqn jet; but no Gamecock. You'll have to source the serials and 'A' for the code from sheet X72158 which has post war style letters and numbers. The ancient Airfix GR1 kit has a pair of Skyshadows; you might be able to pick up a kit cheaply somewhere.

HTH,

Jonathan

The Airfix boxings of the GR.1/IDS (but not the very earliest MRCA) may actually be your easiest route to the pods you need. Note that actual production Sky Shadows have a pair of elingated lateral "blisters" that are missing from the Qinetiq Tornado's pods. Early iterations of the Italeri/Revell/Testors tooling may also have what you need, but their provenance is difficult to track due to the myriad of reboxings and retoolings over the years (not to mention Revell's own-brand GR/IDS/ECR family that came along much later). Any Airfix kit aside from the original prototype should include two identical pods, with the bulges as separate pieces. If memory serves, Monogram also includes a pair of non-bulged pods but I don't have access to that kit at the moment to confirm.