1/48 GWH MiG-29 9-13 primer colors

This is the image that I was referring to.

So I copied your photo. Cut it down in size to fit into the requirements of ARC and here it is.

I like this way of posting an image this way far more than through photobucket where every time I log in all sorts of crap are wanting to down load onto me.

Best regards

Gabor

mig.jpg

• 1 month later...

IMG_8121.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8128.JPG

I'm aiming for a decrepit but still operational look. I'm about the start painting the missiles. Are there R-27s and/or R-73s which are painted in a color other than white? Perhaps some sort of a test or training version of these? My quick search has been futile. I saw one or two pics with red stripes, but those unfortunately didn't excite me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Janissary
On 2016. 11. 26. at 5:13 AM, Janissary said:

Are there R-27s and/or R-73s which are painted in a color other than white? Perhaps some sort of a test or training version of these? My quick search has been futile. I saw one or two pics with red stripes, but those unfortunately didn't excite me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Janissary,

All live missiles are white. The training rounds have black stripes / rings around the body to show clearly that they are training rounds.

Please note that while the aircraft can have most of the paint missing and your work is excellent, the missiles would not have such level of weathering! The only thing I have ever seen on live missiles were black/dirty grey marks where the supports of the missile carts were in contact with the white body. Russians still use a soft black coloured sponge/rubber for the "soft" contact with the missile when they are in the storage box or on the cart. It reacts with the paint and leaves dirty / blakish stains on the missile body. (The same is true of Russian helmets, the holder wooden box has this black rubber on the bottom and it leaves a blakish patch on the top of the helmet, every time the helmet is replaced and stored for a longer time a new patch will appear, so you will have several on them.) Just as on the helmets the patches on the missile body are in several places and many different ones, depending on how many times they were moved / replaced.

Best regards

Gabor 

Thank you very much Gabor! I am in the process of painting the missiles, and I did so in white. Still need to weather them slightly with a wash as they are too bright. I am also redoing the radome, exhausts, and horizontal stabs. I will have an update in the next few days. Thanks for all your input. 

• 1 month later...

A few pics from the latest stages. I wanted to capture as much detail as possible, as I may forget them later. I used two layers of iridescent wrapping paper with two-sided tape in the middle for the diplay glass. 

IMG_8136.JPG

I hate masking:

IMG_8137.JPG

Finally she is on her legs! Repainted the radome and the horizontal stabs, attached the HUD glass, added the static wicks, and a few antennas:

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

I also stripped the paint from the exhausts and repainted them with various metallic and burnt metal colors:

IMG_8154.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

I used dollops of CA glue for the static wick tips and bases. I sanded the tips flat after the glue dried. Still does not capture the look of the real wicks, but it will make do:

IMG_8157.JPG

The wicks are certainly very fragile. Not sure how I am going to store this model without knocking them off:

IMG_8159.JPG

Even though the GWH wheels were posed bulged, they did not sit flush on the ground. After all were attached, I taped down a coarse sand paper and gently sanded down the wheels by swiping the model over the sand paper (takes quite a bit of time), then painted the exposed plastic:

IMG_8161.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

Only 11 pieces are left to attach! 

IMG_8165.JPG

Stunning work. What a commitment to realism.

I do have a question however, I am currently nearing the final stretch on my GWH Mig-29 SMT. How did attach the stabs to the model? I followed the instructions and have one of the two ready to fall off. I'm thinking I might just pop both off and attach them somehow later, which was your method? Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

On 1/1/2017 at 4:44 PM, Ichitoe said:

Great work! Another masterpiece in the display case!

Thank you Mike!

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Stunning work. What a commitment to realism.

I do have a question however, I am currently nearing the final stretch on my GWH Mig-29 SMT. How did attach the stabs to the model? I followed the instructions and have one of the two ready to fall off. I'm thinking I might just pop both off and attach them somehow later, which was your method? Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you. If you are asking about the horizontal stabs, I did run into a problem with the port stab. The pivoting pin broke off as I was shimmying it into the hole. So, I had the pull the broken pin from the hole, and sand the stab side clean. Then, I drilled a hole in the stab side, super glued a stiff metallic rod (I think it was guitar wire), and then super glued the whole thing back into the hole (essentially made a new pivot with the rod). The starboard side is fine, it is just press fit using the kit plastic, I repositioned that one to match the starboard side.

It sounds like yours might be too loose? If so, you can cover the pin with some CA glue (the more liquid the better) and then apply CA accelerator to freeze it. In the first few minutes, it will be a little soft. So you can use that to press fit it into the fuselage. I always attach the hor. stabs after evryhting is finished. If you find that risky, you can thicken the pin with thin strips of stretched parafilm, or even teflon tape used for sealing teeth of plumbing joints. 

If you're asking about the vertical stabs, I had no problems with them. I superglued them on. I remember I had to ensure the tails were symmetrically aligned. The tail/fuselage connection points are a little flimsy, so the tail can actually swivel quite a bit so you have to ensure a good alignment.

Edited by Janissary
4 hours ago, Janissary said:

Thank you Mike!

Thank you. If you are asking about the horizontal stabs, I did run into a problem with the port stab. The pivoting pin broke off as I was shimmying it into the hole. So, I had the pull the broken pin from the hole, and sand the stab side clean. Then, I drilled a hole in the stab side, super glued a stiff metallic rod (I think it was guitar wire), and then super glued the whole thing back into the hole (essentially made a new pivot with the rod). The starboard side is fine, it is just press fit using the kit plastic, I repositioned that one to match the starboard side.

Thanks for the response, I hope that this may help others as well. I had issues with the starboard side and just pulled both stabs and drilled/pinned each of them. I'm letting the super glue dry now and will make adjustments after I insert them into the model.

This is the first Aircraft model I have built in over 15 years. Started a couple of 1/32 birds...they're on deck to be finished and I build armor for the most part....it's more "forgiving" than aircraft. I only say this because I have become a bit rusty doing 1/48th scale.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
typo
  • 2 weeks later...