1/48 GWH MiG-29 9-13 primer colors

Eric, Tiger, thanks for your input. I just found this walkaround, which looks very promising: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin/mig-29_huaf_walk1.htm

The intakes have lots of dirt and color variation, which I will give a try.

Tiger, you brought back memories! You remember correctly that I was intending a rollout scheme for the Raptor, but changed my mind in the middle of it: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=244021&st=0My link

I love primer colored fighters, and had given F-15E a try as well: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=229983&st=0 But after endless masking, I turned that into a WIF.

We'll see where this build goes!

As promised here are few photos of the intake.

Here is the intake of a MiG-29A Type 9-12. I have no idea about the colours of Polish overhauled 29’s!

In the photos below are the colour of the intake the way it was delivered by the Russian manufacturer. It is a dull metallic aluminium with lots of dirt on its surface. In some place you will find slightly different shaded alu panels, some have a bit of drown in them, in a way a duraluminium colour but not so strong as the real duralu. See how the inside is by far not a smooth surface but has some strip cover panels over the meeting surface of the bigger intake panels.

The photos are not only of Hungarian but also of a Slovak AF MiG-29.

29%20intake%201_zpsgau22ppz.jpg

When you remove the engine cover panels and take out the engine this is what you see looking forward in the intake.

29%20intake%203_zpssvgbndnz.jpg

29%20intake%202_zpsrscpjvvi.jpg

Also make a note that the front lips and front edges of the intakes are the same chemically treated and "discoloured" metallic parts as those used on the intake lip of the MiG-21's as well as many other parts on the airframe, like the rails of the ejection seats.

29%20intake%204_zpscehxfrj4.jpg

29%20intake%205_zpsc3utzwyl.jpg

All other notes are there on the photos.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, thank you very much for your images. The level of detail and your descriptions are super. I love the material/color variation all around the intakes. Sorry I have been traveling and just got back to my laptop today. I hope to be back with more updates sometime next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I added some more switches and recolored the circuit breakers:

IMG_7949.JPG

As I mentioned earlier, I decided to redo the intakes. More puttying and sanding:

IMG_7947.JPG

Flatting the intake plates, followed by bending on a soft block of packing material using a Tamiya bottle and a brush handle. I gave it a slight 'S' shape by bending on both sides even though I believe it does not have a double curvature contour:

IMG_7948.JPG

IMG_7954.JPG

Using Gabor's pics as inspiration, I repainted the insides of the intakes. Various colors and panels added absolutely randomly! Unfortunately, my dry tests show that all the colors will be invisible once the intakes are mounted. I also did more surgery on the intakes to improve their fit, but there is still noticeable gaps that will need to be filled in:

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_7959.JPG

My next big step will be attaching the intakes to the lower fuselage. I'm dreading it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Captain! A few progress pics. To get a level lap joint, I added a piece of wine bottle foil to increase thickness:

IMG_7961.JPG

With that, I glued the intake and engine covers together before mounting them onto the lower fuselage. This is to be able to control the joint more closely. No putty so far (but will need a small amount). I have seen builds where if the intakes are attached to the fuselage first, the engine cover does not align well with the intakes.

IMG_7983.JPG

IMG_7987.JPG

Taped up the cans to hide the seams:

IMG_7962.JPG

As I mentioned earlier, the front top of the intakes produces a large gap against the lower fuselage. To remedy this, I added styrene sheet pieces to beef up the front and faired it towards the back. The fit is improved (no pics):

IMG_7969.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Some fictitious detailing on the starboard side, where the engine will be exposed:

IMG_7980.JPG

IMG_7982.JPG

Engines:

IMG_7971.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG

I detailed the starboard side engine with the kit parts as well as some extra stuff from the spares box:

IMG_7973.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

Edited by Janissary
  • 4 weeks later...

Thats some impressive detail work on those engines, can't wait to see this one with some paint on it!

Thank you very much sir! A small update. Based on this fantastic idea, I tried to spruce up the exhausts. Glued together three layers of aluminum foil to get a thick strip:

IMG_8008.JPG

The small petals are not the right shape and are somewhat thick, but I will let them be:

IMG_8009.JPG

Gas tank: I lost all the raised weld details during sanding. So I sanded everything clean and used stretched sprue and styrene strips to recreate them. Surfacer 1200, metallic paint, hair spray, mixes of primer yellow, gunship gray, green, chipping, spot painting in metallic. The next step will be future, hair spray, camo colors, and another round of chipping:

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8012.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Now I am in the process of improving the surface details. The kit is great, but I find the panel lines and rivets to be too shallow. So, I deepened all lines and rivets. It takes rounds and rounds of cutting, wet sanding, washing, inspection, fixing etc. The final treatment was wet sanding using steel wool.

IMG_8013.JPG

IMG_8014.JPG

IMG_8015.JPG

IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8017.JPG

Also, I am almost finished with the intake-fuselage attachments. Dry fitting and the added sheet styrene certainly helped, but also used Apoxie epoxy to fill some of the larger gaps. I also used Vallejo plastic putty for smaller ones. Both are easily cleaned with water, so I really like them.

IMG_8018.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

Thank you Kike! I can't wait to get it all primed and painted. But the surface prep is taking too much time. Also, I am boiling with questions about the Mig-29 but I will be patient and save them until I get to the painting stages.

Great build so far. I wish I had the talent and patience you have.

I have to say it here too though, about the seat. That headrest seems too large in this model (my only complain about this otherwise amazing model). I am using an aftermaket for mine...

Edited by foxmulder_ms

A bit of help to anyone wanting to do a natural metal MiG-29 would be to look at the aircraft in an overhaul facility. Some lucky ones have visited the Baranovichi 558 ARZ in Belorus. Note that most aircraft on the assembly line are 9-13’s but there is an occasional 9-12 too.

It is here:

http://kak-eto-sdelano.livejournal.com/432891.html

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Great build so far. I wish I had the talent and patience you have.

I have to say it here too though, about the seat. That headrest seems too large in this model (my only complain about this otherwise amazing model). I am using an aftermaket for mine...

I never noticed the out of proportion headrest, but you might be right! And thanks for the compliment. Maybe patient, but I don't consider myself talented at all. I just like learning from everybody else's builds.

A bit of help to anyone wanting to do a natural metal MiG-29 would be to look at the aircraft in an overhaul facility. Some lucky ones have visited the Baranovichi 558 ARZ in Belorus. Note that most aircraft on the assembly line are 9-13’s but there is an occasional 9-12 too.

It is here:

http://kak-eto-sdelano.livejournal.com/432891.html

Best regards

Gabor

Fantastic pictures! Thank you for the link.

Working on the surface details. The lines and rivets are deepened with these tools. I mark the lines to remember which ones are done:

IMG_8022.JPG

The UMM scriber creates clean lines, the sewing pin pretty rough lines. Clean up will be necessary regardless:

IMG_8023.JPG

IMG_8024.JPG

Once the lines are done, I wet sand the model using Micromesh 1500, followed by a toothbrush scrubbing. Next, I started working on the rivets:

IMG_8027.JPG

IMG_8028.JPG

IMG_8030.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Next, another round of Micromesh 1500 wet sanding and toothbrush scrubbing. Once dry, I go over all the lines and rivets with hardware store lacquer thinner and a thin brush to iron out any rough edges. The discoloration along the edges is due to that lacquer thinner. Obviously, the lines and rivets are unrealistically over-emphasized this way. But with coats of primers, paints, and clear coats, I'm hoping the effect will get more subtle, while making sure the wash layers settle in the details without being lost:

IMG_8032.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

I'm about ready to join the fuselage halves. To my surprise, the two halves do not fit all that well. There is a major gap in the middle:

IMG_8037.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

It takes quite a bit of force to get the surfaces to meet. If you have built this kit, can you let me know if you ran into this problem and if so, how did you deal with it? It almost feels like something inside is pushing back on the halves. I checked carefully from various angles, nothing seems to be getting in the way. So, I figured it's the mere shapes of the halves that lead to this large gap. I can squeeze the halves to meet, but it feels like it will not be a strong bond (too much resistance / push-back). Anyway, if you have any ideas that would be great.

Edited by Janissary

Thank you Captain! Btw, do you have a WIP that I could follow? I'm sure I'd learn so much from your experience. No worries if you didn't have one.

I ended up using CA glue right where the max gap is in the pictures (pretty much pooled the area), and also affixed the front cockpit areas through the radome opening using Teenax, CA+baking powder, and epoxy putty. I haven't glued the wings and rear fuselage yet. I hope the sections I did will hold their bond. I will keep everybody posted on the next steps.

Edited by Janissary

I am about to install the control surfaces, and had a question about them. Please refer to this image for the part numbers:

Diagram

I would like all control surfaces to be dropped as follows:

- Rudders (D6): Slightly turned inwards

- Outboard flaps (D11): Dropped slightly

- Inboard flaps (D12): Dropped more than the outboard ones

- Leading edge flaps (B16): Dropped slightly

- Horizontal stabs (D16): Dropped backwards

Would this be a realistic stance when parked, engines off? I don't know if any of these surfaces are spring loaded, hydraulic, or something else that positions these differently than what I am thinking. I've looked at several parked pictures, but I could not find a consistent configuration. There seems to be quite a variation. I just could not find any that matches my plans though.

TIA

Edited by Janissary
  • 2 weeks later...

One question about a part that I am not sure if it should be there. Please see parts H4 and H9 in the following image:

Great+wall+hobby+mig+29+instructions+(8).png

(1) Are these static wicks?

(2) Are the instructions correct? It seems some of the 9.13s I have seen online are missing these. For the MiG-29s that I saw having them, I can't tell if those are 9.13s. To reinforce my suspicion, in the markings diagram, these are not included:

Great+wall+hobby+mig+29+instructions+(12).png

Note that I am talking about the second pair of wicks. The outer ones are already molded in to the wings.

(3) Just to confirm, the horizontal stabs of 9.13s do have this second pair (G9 + G10), and the instructions are accurate here, correct?

Edited by Janissary

TTT for help :) I am about to attach the second pair of wicks to the wings so if this wrong please let me know. My uneducated guess is that 9.13s could have them if need be (i.e. there are mounting points on the wings), but it may not be a common occurrence. Is that so?