What is the best Green for Mirage III IAF markings? I visited Wings Pallete for the colours and it states that FS 34258 is correct. However there is no Humbrol number for this green, and I have Humbrol at hand most of the colours. So what is close to the Green I need for this IAF scheme?

TIA

Edited by Eric2020

Hi Eric

I sometimes use Humbrol 120, but that is by no means gospel and I would fully expect others to have their own take.

I tend to go heavy on the weathering so the lighter shade of green suits me.

It`s worth remembering that enviromental conditions can give mid-east jets variations on the standard paint.

#120 isn`t bang-on accurate for that era so I`d get as many views as you can and make-up your own mind.

HTH

Cheers, Ian

EDIT- I assumed you meant IAF as in Israel, forgive me if I`m mistaken Eric. :)/>

Double Edit- I see India operated the Mirage 2000 and Israel the Mirage III, I`m confusing myself, apologies. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ian Buick

Thanks Ian I appriciate your post!! I meant indeed the Israeli Air Force. I take into account enviromental conditions can give mid-east jets variations on the standard paint. I have to see 120 myself first but I think I have that at hand.

What is the best Green for Mirage III IAF markings? I visited Wings Pallete for the colours and it states that FS 34258 is correct.

FS 34258 was only used on Syhawks, AFAIK, as delivered by McDonnell Douglas.

Mirages used FS 34227, which does translate to Humbrol 120. When repainted in Israel, Skyhawks received the standard FS 34227 as well.

OTOH, you could also use a brand whose quality hasn't gone totally down the drain in recent years, like the once great Humbrol... Xtracolor X148 or Gunze H312 would be my preferred option.

HTH,

Andre

Indeed I noticed it Andre that quality is down the drain. my understanding is that quality should go up again, as production of the paints is back in the United Kingdom. Having bought Humbrol 226 it is translucent so more coats of paint before you are happy. But with current problems of Model Master Paints not being in the stores and having old humbrol paints I go for 120.

Indeed I noticed it Andre that quality is down the drain. my understanding is that quality should go up again, as production of the paints is back in the United Kingdom. Having bought Humbrol 226 it is translucent so more coats of paint before you are happy. But with current problems of Model Master Paints not being in the stores and having old humbrol paints I go for 120.

Alas - even the current "Made in Britain" Humbrol tins are shockingly bad.

Luckily my LHS has begun to stock Gunze half a year ago...

Cheers,

Andre

Glad to help Eric. :thumbsup:

And I have to agree that Humbrol`s quality has declined steeply.

From what I`ve read, their customer care dept has stopped answering customers mail, so I tried myself and, right enough, nobody home.

Bad product and bad customer care- Humbrol is a once great brand with self-inflicted problems.

Cheers, Ian

@ Ian

I did turn as well to their costumer carte unit with paint question as well. You never know what you buy when buyin Humbrol paints. that is when there new tins. I have a store nearby selling old production paints of Humbrol, never any problem with that. New paints are too translucent and it varies from good to handle to very bad already inside the tins. I have posted on my problems in the past also over here. today I use white of Humbrol only for primer. Should parts be white I turn to Tamiya, bit longer work but in the eand the best white one can have.