U-2C Frances G Powers 1/48 Article 360

Is the old Hawk / Testors now newly re-released Lindberg kit still the only way to build the Article 360 airframe? I remember reading in some posts that the intakes must be modified a bit and the wing tanks must be installed from a newer testors kit. Any other thoughts? Any ideas on exactly what must be done to the intakes? There are a few different opinions on the intakes from various people.

From what I understand of the intakes, is that they must just be made more spherical laterally but not bulged vertically. I have a testors kit to take the wing fuel tanks from and bought metal landing gear and a vac canopy. I will have to see what I can modify a cockpit from.

You may or may not be interested but cutting edge released the resin available to doGary Powers aircraft.

Resin seems quite good as well but I'm not a expert on the U-2..intakes etc..

That resin is very hard to find and when it is on eBay it is VERY expensive. I have looked for quite a while for it. This picture shows the intake shape quite well.day2_032.JPGHere is the proof that the aircraft had the wing tanks attached to it also. There is some discussion about that subject on other sites. Also these pictures verify the blue color and not black. The same color as used by Taiwan aircraft.day07_004.jpg1280px-Francis_Gary_Powers_U2_at_Moscow.jpg

Edited by Otto

Some years ago I made a model of Power's jet for Chris Pocock, a long time friend and THE acknowledged expert on the history of the U-2, with at least three books on the subject. Since the model was a surprise, I kept bugging him about details. I could tell he was wondering why I kept asking so many questions and was getting a bit annoyed with me. Of course, all that evaporated once he saw why I'd been bugging him so relentlessly! Below is a summation of the details that should help you in your quest, as well as a few photos of the model to show the decal placement for all the various flush antennas.

One thing that I couldn't fix (and I don't think the vacuform canopies correct either is that the white 'sunshade' area on the canopy is substantially too big. (Why is it if a manufacturer is going to screw up just one piece in a kit it is bound to be a clear piece?!)

Power’s U-2 was article 360 (56-6693). This aircraft was delivered as a U-2A, but was converted to a U-2C in Aug 59. Then, marked as “449” (probably in white), it crash-landed in Japan on 24 Sep 59 (see Dragon Lady p.44). After undergoing repairs in the US, it was transferred to Adana, then forward-deployed to Peshawar, Pakistan, from where it flew its fateful 1 May 60 mission (probably without markings). Its configuration was:

Slipper Tanks

Ventral Fin

NO dorsal fairing of any kind

Interim, “non-coke bottle” inlets

B-camera installation with seven windows

SIGINT System 3, which shared a long Scimitar antenna with System 6, which was housed in a ventral fin.

SIGINT System 6, identifiable by rectangular antennas (with rounded corners) on both sides of the nose, two each circular and rectangular antennas on either side of the Q-bay hatch and Scimitar antenna which it shared with System 3 in the ventral fin

AN607 non-specular Sea Blue paint, which matched the later FSN 35042 ANA Bulletin 157e, 15 October 1964)

NO insignia. Tail number policy at that time is unknown. (By 1964, CIA aircraft had white walkway outlines on the wings plus "No Step" stencils at intervals. There were also ejection seat warnings and emergency canopy release instructions below the cockpit on both sides. These were decals that were apparently never removed (See photo taken in Japan in late 1950s on p 40 of Dragon Lady.)

U-2C-decal_zpshhmmuusa.jpg

110303-138%20U2C%20model%20top%20LFQ_zpsdoyqf4fm.jpg

110303-139%20U2C%20model%20top%20LRQ_zpsarab1qod.jpg

110303-140%20U2C%20model%20bottom_zpsowffbxmm.jpg

110303-142%20U2C%20model%20bottom%20RRQ_zps0nbua4bc.jpg

Thank You, that will help a lot. Is it for sure that the tail # was not on the aircraft? I just ordered the "Warbird Tech" book on the U-2. I hope it has some useful info and pictures.

I just ordered the "Warbird Tech" book on the U-2. I hope it has some useful info and pictures.

It has several photos of small-wing U-2s but the majority of the book focuses on the big-wing jets. Only 3-4 paragraphs on Power's flight, no photos of the specific jet/mission.

Aerofax also has a good U-2 book (Aerograph #3) although somewhat dated, published in 1983. Lots of photos but none specific to Power's flight.

I don't have Pocock's book... :(

I think the most important thing are the intakes. I should be able and modify those on the kit. The only thing I will have to figure out, is which is simpler enlarge the ones on the Hawk, or shrink the ones on the Testors.

This is a subject near and dear to me as well since I have an original Hawk U-2A kit, sans decals. I've been leaning towards doing a straight U-2A (such as the one that did the first assigned overflight of what we know today as the Baikonaur launch complex about a month before Sputnik) rather than doing Powers' bird due to all the crazy mods required for it.

BTW, concerning the new Hawk U-2C reissue of the Testors kit, the plastic may be the same but the new decal sheet is a VERY good reason to get it as they give you a couple additional marking options on it, including a mid-1970s NASA jet with the red worm font on the tail and the proper fuselage stripes. Now if only Airfix could repop their excellent early U-2 in 1/72. Sure it was raised panel lines, but it had some nice options and a good shape.

I keep hoping somebody will come out with new resin enhancements for the Hawk/Testors/Italeri U-2s. Those Cutting Edge sets typically go for prices well North of what I'm willing to pay, or can afford.

Have spent few hours in Moscow with a measuring tape and camera around that airframe (remains) and also of the one in Cuba. The seat was of special interest for me, but for the moment all the data is just a raw material, never got around to using it. Will have to dig out the Airfix kit and see what can be done about it.

Best regards

Gabor

With so many choices of colors and markings, why limit the U-2 collection to just one airframe....

U-2_Poster.jpg

Hay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!_____________________________ COOL, there is one that has NAVY on the side. I never knew that. Also the noted diference between the Taiwan blue and the US CIA blue. I woner if that is so or if in fact they are the same color.

The wreckage of a Taiwanese U-2 is in the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution in Beijing.... where I took this photo..

day7_036.JPG

My photo of Gary Powers airframe from the Central Armed Forces Museum, Moscow....

day2_032.JPG

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

That is what I am wondering if the Testors is simpler to shrink or the hawk to enlarge. I do have a suspicion that the Hawk to enlarge might be simpler. I also have both and will have to investigate closer.

Because the bulge is only to the sides and not up and down, I think the mod will be easy.

Hi Guys,

Serendipity led me to this Website and U-2 thread. I am a member on Britmodeller and am currently running a WIP thread on a U-2C. I am using the Italeri issue of the Testor's reworking of the Hawk U-2A. For my first attempt at a U-2 I thought it best to build the kit as moulded rather than backdate it by removing the so-called canoe hump. I have done a little scratchbuilding on the kit and have decided to depict it as one of the white NASA U-2Cs. I have lately acquired one of the Hawk U-2As and will be using that as the basis for Powers' 'article 360'.

Really pleased to find this up-to-date thread as I thought I had exhausted every useful source of U-2 information on the Internet.

Would have included the Britmodeller link but as a self confessed Ludite I wasn't sure if it was allowed. Given the okay I will gladly provide it.

DMC