do any other model builders have diagnosable asberger's?

I mean this in no way to be insensitive, rather the opposite. It turns out that someone in my family, as well as more than likely I myself, probably have asbergers. Throughout my life, I have realised that I am somewhat of a social misfit. For example, I would far rather read, learn or discuss something academic about the energy retention of a bf109e vs spitfire mk 1, than go to a party. It took a long time to pick up on social cues and niceties, and know when to not take things literally. I have always been strong at things logical and mathematical, and pretty useless at all things emotional, and highly abstract in the artistic sense. My version of "creativity" would be a sort of pastiche of ideas I have broken down and made sense of. Anyway I was rather shocked at the diagnosis, but i guess it makes sense. To be honest, I had always looked down on most forms of psychology as a sort of "pseudo-science" but I am having to re-evaluate that now. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has been given the ssme label?

Not myself, but I do have a friend with a son with it. Are there varying degrees of asbergers? I'm assuming there is. If you're just learning about it now, I would assume your asbergers is not as bad as some. My friends son struggles with his and it doesn't help that he is in those awkward teen years, but he does have a tight circle of friends that keep an eye on him and keep him involved. He was diagnosed early in life, so my guess is that his asbergers is more extreme to be picked up so early.

It does make me wonder how many of us have a mild form of something and don't even know it.

Interesting topic. I would not be at all surprised if a large number of modelers had some form of Asperger's. The obsessive nature of very good modelers has a lot in common with autism and Asperger's. I have a 5 year old son with autism, and since his diagnosis and personal study into autism I can see signs of Asperger's in myself. There really isn't anything wrong with it, it isn't really a disability.

Whenever possible I build models with my son. Following directions, patience, and for him the small motor skills associated with building a model is therapy.

Don't we all really have varying degrees of it? Who here wouldn't rather play with their dog, stay indoors with a good book, work on a model, do woodworking or pretty much ANYTHING else than deal with the masses?

And why do they apply the name of some form of "syndrome" to those preferences as if to imply that it's a negative trait? Is there a similar sydrome name assigned to those who are equally extroverted?

Don't we all really have varying degrees of it? Who here wouldn't rather play with their dog, stay indoors with a good book, work on a model, do woodworking or pretty much ANYTHING else than deal with the masses?

And why do they apply the name of some form of "syndrome" to those preferences as if to imply that it's a negative trait? Is there a similar sydrome name assigned to those who are equally extroverted?

I absolutely, completely couldn't agree more. I really think it would be helpful if the "syndrom"or "disorder" part of Aspergers was dropped. I mean yeah sure I am a quirky guy, and I have always known that, but I have never really thought of myself as deficient in some way, and really dont care to.

It does seem that model building would be a home for people with Aspergers. Thank goodness for the internet; I have no one around here who shares similar interests! And to be honest, judging by how heated some discussions get about what are after all, pieces of plastic (the panel lines are too deep, the shape is waaay off....) it certainly would fit? Funny enough I really enjoy the obsessive, rivet counting aspect of the hobby but try to tread as carefully as possible in the forums so as to no offend others. Maybe Im just people over compensating for my Aspie condition!

'Syndrome' is simply a medical term that describes a set of symptoms that are correlated with each other. It has no negative connotation.

The op describes it more accurately than simply prefering to stay in or read a book.

My bro in law has it. He was a crptyo linguest I don't have it and was a grunt. Go figure. I'm not nearly as mathematicaly inclined and meticulous as him. I'm more tactful yet more violent. He isn't as violent but has no tact

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

My stepdaughter has it. Not sure exactly to what extent. She went through a rough period in her grade school and teen years. She's almost 22 now and doing the best she ever has.

But she's not interested in modeling at all. She's actually taken to working out and goes to the gym like a religion. But she hasn't gotten her license yet since driving seems to be one of the things she has great difficulty at.

'Syndrome' is simply a medical term that describes a set of symptoms that are correlated with each other. It has no negative connotation.

I could see how to those in the medical profession it doesn't, but to the average layman, it probably does. Just out of curiosity's sake, I did a quick Google search for lists of medical syndromes. Just picking a handful at random:

Fanconi's Syndrome: A disease of the kidney

Gardner's Syndrome: The presence of polyps and tumors in and out of the colon

Lambert-Eaton Syndrome: A rare autoimmune disorder involving muscles of the limbs

Down Syndrome, Marfan Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome...There's a long list of negative connotations. But I completely understand what you mean when you say that in medical terms, it applies to a set of interrelated symptoms. It's just that those symptoms often ain't good, unfortunately. :(

till the "causes" of a syndrome aren't found, it's a syndrome... but when they are, it's called a disease.

so, i won't agree on the neutrality of the therm... whatever medical condition it is, you don't wan't it!

basically, they (the medical corp) don't know why it happens, nor how. but for some reason, the part of the brain that is usually dedicated to social behaviors, is now, to various degree, used for some other cognitive functions. that's Asberger Syndrome.

not being comfortable with social relations doesn't mean that you're Asberger. nor being obsessive won't mean it neither. ...there is as much various mental illness/conditions as there is people on earth... (some have more than onesunrevolves.gif)

Edited by mingwin

Guys I really want to say thanks to all of you; you really cannot imagine how therapeutic it is reading that some of you have it, know people that have it, etc and are doing fine. I supose also just to talk about with people that I know are similarly inclined. Thanks guys

Gareth "Dryguy" Barry

Edited by dryguy

Guys I really want to say thanks to all of you; you really cannot imagine how therapeutic it is reading that some of you have it, no people that have it, etc and are doing fine. I supose also just to talk about with people that I know are similarly inclined. Thanks guys

Gareth "Dryguy" Barry

Gareth, I don't think you mentioned anything that all of us haven't wondered at some point in our lives. You're especially right in that conversing with others about it is, indeed, theraputic. At the very least, it gives a person that "Phwew! It isn't just me!" moment.

Eric

With all due respect to those who’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s by a medical professional, I suspect the majority of modelers are introverts. That doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy socializing with others, just that doing so drains your energy. You “recharge” by spending time alone.

That’s how I view my personality. In fact a friend called me a social introvert, which I think fits me. I enjoy being with friends, even in large groups, but it tires me.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I prefer to call myself a hermit.

I'm very social if I know you and am comfortable around you. If I don't know you then get the hell away from me. I DESPISE being in the public. I'm either annoyed, repulsed, or ticked off. Or some combination of the three.

All my friends call me a curmudgeon.

With all due respect to those who’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s by a medical professional, I suspect the majority of modelers are introverts. That doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy socializing with others, just that doing so drains your energy. You “recharge” by spending time alone.

That’s how I view my personality. In fact a friend called me a social introvert, which I think fits me. I enjoy being with friends, even in large groups, but it tires me.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

That's probably me. My hobbies are all pretty solo - models, fly-fishing, triathlon, solo exercise. I'd prefer to watch a movie with my wife at home than have/go to a dinner party etc.

I can be an extrovert at times (esp after drinking beer!) but can't really be bothered.

Yes, but it was only when my eldest son was diagnosed with it that the similarities between him and me were pointed out.

We didn't have Aspergers when I was at school, you were just classed as odd and/or troublesome.

Aspergers is part of the autism spectrum, and there are varying degrees of symptoms.

Regards,

Murph

Indeed, you can have everything from common traits to severe autistic disabilities.

All ppl score somewhere on the spectrum and it doesn't always constitute a disability just the way your personality is expressed.

Just as someone with aspergers I too get obsessive in details and prefer avoiding large groups of ppl. However I'm very socially adequate and I've no problems reading faces or social situations...in fact I'm very empathetic and it helps me im my work with autism.

Yes, but it was only when my eldest son was diagnosed with it that the similarities between him and me were pointed out.

We didn't have Aspergers when I was at school, you were just classed as odd and/or troublesome.

Well you have hit the nail on the head here. It is also my eldest son who has been diagnosed with it, and again, the similarities between him and I are rather high. I suppose that I am also lucky in that my son is very much on the mild-to-normal side of the spectrum. Anyway this is a very fresh (3 days ago) diagnosis/news so I am still making sense of all of this.

I can also add to the second part of your comment. Being in education (maths and physics teacher), I can attest to how often educational psychology changes. It really wouldn't surprise me at all if for example the book on Asperger's is completely rewritten in the coming years. Not saying it will, but it won't surprise me if it isn't.

Where I am at the moment is letting go of the tendency to want to categorise, and make sense of the whole thing. My son is GREAT just the way he is, and the journey is going to be awesome. Thanks again all :)

Well you have hit the nail on the head here. It is also my eldest son who has been diagnosed with it, and again, the similarities between him and I are rather high. I suppose that I am also lucky in that my son is very much on the mild-to-normal side of the spectrum. Anyway this is a very fresh (3 days ago) diagnosis/news so I am still making sense of all of this.

I can also add to the second part of your comment. Being in education (maths and physics teacher), I can attest to how often educational psychology changes. It really wouldn't surprise me at all if for example the book on Asperger's is completely rewritten in the coming years. Not saying it will, but it won't surprise me if it isn't.

Where I am at the moment is letting go of the tendency to want to categorise, and make sense of the whole thing. My son is GREAT just the way he is, and the journey is going to be awesome. Thanks again all :)/>

My son is autistic, on the moderate side of the spectrum. He is five, and while we is verbal he has very delayed speech. He is also in a special education class and has speech and ABA therapy. There are some great resources for autism and Asbergers and he has made major advances since beginning therapy. It is a tough diagnosis to get, but I don't consider it a disability just a unique person.

I DESPISE being in the public. I'm either annoyed, repulsed, or ticked off. Or some combination of the three.

All my friends call me a curmudgeon.

Ha, that sounds a lot like me. I have a friend who calls me "grumpy old man". She has done so ever since my early twenties.