I happen to be a pretty decent guitarist and played the main anthem from the movie at a school musical evening; every 40 something year old stood up and went mad; every teenager looked at their parents like they WERE mad.

Top Gun was a thoroughly enjoyable movie that came out at a perfect time in history. The height of the 80's, the height of Reagan, changing times in the USSR especially with Gorbachev coming to power.

The excellent surround sound and very good audio song track to the movie. It was great in the theatre and later awesome to have one's library for their "NEW" home theatre that was burgeoning at the times.

Though the movie has its technical flaws and has some odd impressionistic side points, it was well scripted, a good mix of actors, some moving to the height of their careers. The cinematography was also outstanding. All in all a fun movie of the 80's and much better than all too many movies made from Hollywood in recent times.

The one sad part was that one of the great airmen and airshow performers, Art Scholl passed away during the filming of the movie.

I didn't own a copy for home, so when it was released on Blu-Ray I actually bought the 3D version because it came with the 2D version as well and was the same price. I'm not a big 3D fan, but the 3D ended up working better than I expected.

Edited by Ken Cartwright
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw it on 3d in the theater a couple years ago in Texas. It actually lends itself really well to 3d despite not having that in mind. When maverick is going through goose withdrawal there are great shots of him through the tomcat windscreen that really pop for example. It's pretty crazy how well it works overall, save for love scenes. Oh god why?

The crazy thing is, despite having seen the movie on the big screen many times when the movie initially came out, despite owning the dang movie on VHS, then DVD, now Blue Ray DVD, I would STILL go and see it on the big screen if it were released again. I'd take my 7 year old son. Heck I would love to see The Final Countdown on the big screen as I missed that one the first time around <_< .

I went and saw The Battle of Britain movie last year when it had a one night showing on the artsy theatre big screen here locally and loved it!

:cheers:

The crazy thing is, despite having seen the movie on the big screen many times when the movie initially came out, despite owning the dang movie on VHS, then DVD, now Blue Ray DVD, I would STILL go and see it on the big screen if it were released again. I'd take my 7 year old son. Heck I would love to see The Final Countdown on the big screen as I missed that one the first time around <_</> .

I went and saw The Battle of Britain movie last year when it had a one night showing on the artsy theatre big screen here locally and loved it!

:cheers:/>

I don't do movie theatres much anymore, mostly because to me most movies today suck doo doo, but also too many idiots with their damn cell phones and blah, blah blathering during the shows and such now. But I would go to see Top Gun, The Final Countdown, Battle Of Britain as well and even go to watch Midway, Tora Tora Tora, The Longest Day and a few other WWII classics at a movie theatre today. Damn that would be fun, The theatres should look at doing such. :cheers:

I ve seen the FCD and TopGun on the big screen too bad i missed the very first SW which i saw on video VHS at my aunt's place when i was 10 years of age.

I remember seeing both The Final Countdown and Top Gun on the big screen when they first came out, but my most memorable viewing of Top Gun was at Ontario Place's IMAX theatre in the late 1980s. That was very impressive, although Apocalypse Now was the best film I ever saw on IMAX - the cinematography and sound on that film are uniquely beautiful.

Cheesy as we may pronounce Top Gun through today's eyes, I think it was a tremendously fun movie with great cinematography that captured the spirit of the times well. And dang, those Tomcats looked fantastic!

Cheers,

Scott