G'day people,

I only stumbled across this build after I had started my kit. I asked Vince if I was okay to join in and he has given me the green light.

Well, this is what I am building,

DSCN2953_zpsrlyaozzj.jpg

It is a relatively recent kit by Airfix and in common with the new Airfix kits, the fit is very precise and the interior detail is impressive OOB, but I decided to add a little PE as well.

I had already started the cockpit, so here is what I have already done,

DSCN2679_zps0cr3osjl.jpg

DSCN2678_zpskoihqh3y.jpg

DSCN2677_zpst9yr6ciz.jpg

DSCN2680_zpsxvnpryjf.jpg

DSCN2681_zpsxz7orfk5.jpg,,

cheers,

Pappy

Another different subject for this GB. Cool. Good luck.Interior looking good.

Martin H

Thanks Martin.

G'day people,

A little more progress today, I got the donk painted up,

DSCN2682_zpskbm6562f.jpg

DSCN2683_zpsnnlc6hht.jpg

Much of this little gem cannot be seen with the engine cowl fitted. Airfix provides two cowl options,as separate parts are provided to allow the builder to choose cooling fins open or closed. My kit will be in flight, so I have chosen the closed option but it is nice to know that the option is there,

cheers,

Pappy

Engine looks great,shame it won't be seen.

Martin H

True, but i guess that is why we have WIP's :P

I have managed to get the fuselage buttoned up. I noticed that Airfix have these weird projections on top of the wings

DSCN2954_zps9ijzonxc.jpg

I am guessing that these are supposed to represent the undercarriage down-lock indicators? I cut these off and drilled a small hole that I will add the indicator to when all the painting is done

DSCN2955_zpslntjmkwa.jpg

The main gear bays had a little PE added

DSCN2962_zpsu4sn4yxg.jpg

The upper cockpit deck seems to have been painted in the same interior green as the rest of the cockpit, so I have added small bits of packing foam to act as masks,

DSCN2963_zpsav0tqpu8.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

On 19/05/2016 at 2:11 PM, yardbird78 said:

Nice start on the Kate. That sure is a lot of cockpit detail for a 72 scale bird.

G'day YB 78. I was impressed as well, and from Airfix no less!

These new generation Airfix kits are great, excellent value for money and great detail and engineering. A few years ago I was a dyed in the wool Airfix hater, most of their kits had poor detail and rubbish decals. Hornby have really turned them around.

On 20/05/2016 at 10:34 AM, bdt13 said:

Very nice looking!

Thanks very much.

G'day people,

Only a little progress this weekend, I managed to get the crew painted up. I only noticed after the paint went on that one of the crew does not seem to have a fully moulded face!

DSCN2984_zpstpfcs8nx.jpg

DSCN2985_zps9cbhjmyr.jpg

Hopefully this will not be too noticeable. I had to take off the left leg of the radio operator/gunner in order to fit him in as the radio equipment is in the way,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
  • 2 months later...

They look so...European. I guess there isn't much you could have done for that, unless you feel like sculpting cheekbones in 1/48 😰

Except that this kit is in 1/72!

Wow, a long time between updates.

G'day people, I pulled this kit out and have made a little more progress. I have masked up the canopy and the painting has begun

DSCN3318_zpsdxym1ofj.jpg

DSCN3319_zpsuc9wu98y.jpg

I personally think that pre-shading is a complete waste of time, but then again, other people swear by it, fair enough. I had some paint left in the airbrush colour cup so rather than just waste the paint I quickly sprayed along panel lines. I much prefer post shading as a means of adding tonal variety as it allows greater control IMHO.

cheers,

Pappy

• 3 months later...