Saw this picture while researching VMFA-115.

FA_18_C_Plus_2016.jpg

The website it is a "new" F-18C+ ? Is that a new program for the USMC? I am no Hornet expert but the fins do look like a "C" model to me. Any other visible changes?

P.S. Flying Leatherneck definitely needs to do those decals!!!

First time I've heard that designation used. VMFA-115 flew A+ so maybe it's a miss print? The picture is definitely a late lot charlie. If there are C+ upgrades, most will be unnoticed by modelers.

Not a typo. Thirty of the older 'Day Attack' jets are getting avionics updates to bring them up to 'Night Attack' standards. From a modeling perspective, the main difference is the old SJU-5 seat is being replaced with the SJU-17 with JHMCS provisions.

That's the first I've heard of the C+ designation as well. It's also interesting to see 115 in Charlies as they've been flying A/A+ aircraft for years. Let me make some phone calls to see if I can get walk around photos of that aircraft.

Not a typo. Thirty of the older 'Day Attack' jets are getting avionics updates to bring them up to 'Night Attack' standards. From a modeling perspective, the main difference is the old SJU-5 seat is being replaced with the SJU-17 with JHMCS provisions.

That is a 'C', so it would already be fitted with an SJU-17. A+ aircraft that had their SJU-5 replaced with SJU-17 (among other things) were designated A++.

OK, I just got off the phone with the squadron SgtMaj and he's going to hook me up with photos. I'll try to get more information on the C+ designation as well, if that is correct.

That is a 'C', so it would already be fitted with an SJU-17. A+ aircraft that had their SJU-5 replaced with SJU-17 (among other things) were designated A++.

Not 100% sure (NATOPS is a bit vague on the point), but the cockpit didn't get upgraded until Lot 12, and the info I have is that the SJU-17 didn't show up until then either.

BTW, if you're looking at an A with 'bird slicers', it's an A++.

Not 100% sure (NATOPS is a bit vague on the point), but the cockpit didn't get upgraded until Lot 12, and the info I have is that the SJU-17 didn't show up until then either.

BTW, if you're looking at an A with 'bird slicers', it's an A++.

The SJU-17 was introduced on the production line with BuNo 164196, which were Lot 13 aircraft. All F/A-18C/D aircraft that were built with SJU-5/6 (BuNo 163427 thru BuNo 164068) were retrofitted with the SJU-17 during depot maintenance over their respective service lives.

F/A-18A aircraft that had the AN/APX-111 (bird slicers) installed were designated F/A-18A+ (the F/A-18A++ was the result of further upgrades). The BuNo range for the upgrade to F/A-18A+ was 162394 thru 163175. However, this only applied to aircraft that received AFC 292. These A+ aircraft also had the GPS dome and larger, swept back UHF/VHF antennas.

Edited by Dave Roof

F/A-18A aircraft that had the AN/APX-111 (bird slicers) installed were designated F/A-18A+ (the F/A-18A++ was the result of further upgrades). The BuNo range for the upgrade to F/A-18A+ was 162394 thru 163175. However, this only applied to aircraft that received AFC 292. These A+ aircraft also had the GPS dome and larger, swept back UHF/VHF antennas.

The USMC A+s do indeed have the bird slicers--but the USN A+s don't! The A++ (USMC only) have JHMCS provisions which are visible underneath the canopy. Not the best picture, but you can see it on the left canopy rail:

131108-M-EK666-032_zpsdtb97ahs.jpg

Sorry for the silly question, but what are these JHMCS provisions you're talking about? IR sensors for head tracking?

Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System - In basic terms, it is pretty much what you mentioned.

Thirty of the older 'Day Attack' jets are getting avionics updates to bring them up to 'Night Attack' standards.

I thought the "Night Attack" Hornets were all D-models?

I thought the "Night Attack" Hornets were all D-models?

I've been away from Hornets for a while, but if I'm not mistaken, the 'Night Attack' upgrade for the F/A-18C Hornets made the cockpits NVG compatible. I'm not sure if this was done to any A+ or A++ airframes though.