1/48 Italeri AH-1W Super Cobra

Hi Everyone!

Back again with my latest completed build (9th overall), the 1/48 Italeri AH-1W Super Cobra. Ths build was completely OOB, including decals. I chose the HMLA-169 Vipers markings from 1987 Persian Gulf. I really like the tri-color camo on those early Marine AH-1Ws.

This is the first Helo I have built so far, and I am pretty happy how it turned out. The kit is not bad, there are some fit issues where the engine/upper fuselage parts mate together. I just made sure to spend some extra time there dry-fitting and sanding to get better alignment. I definitely used a lot of putty on this on, more than usual.

I feel my paintwork regressed a little on this one, but I attribute much of that to some airbrush issues I am having. I dropped my Paasche Talon airbrush during this build and bent the needle, so I replaced the needle and nozzle. But ever since I replaced those parts (same size, .38) it seems the spray pattern is not nearly as tight and seems to spit little particles on the outer perimeter of the spray pattern, making a nice clean camo edge hard to make. I am going to try replacing the aircap too, maybe that was also damaged. I am also considering buying an Iwata (Eclipse HP-CS), to see if it is everything everyone says it is, now that I have some experience using ABs.

Every build I have done so far has used aftermarket decals, so I was a bit leery of using the kit ones. But it is SO hard to find aftermarket AH-1W decals. I tried like crazy to get the TwoBobs "Whiskeys in the Mix" sheet to no avail. But the decals actually looked pretty nice on the sheet, so I figured I would give them a try. They worked pretty well (using future as a setting solution), but they definitely did not settle as nicely as previous aftermarket ones I have used.

Another milestone for me on this build is that I decided to try a new final matte coat technique. Previously I had been using rattle can Valspar Matte clear. It looked pretty good from a distance, but close up I could see it was kind of leaving a rough textured surface, and some areas would have a whitish cast added to it. So I tried the future+Tamiya Flat base method on this. First mix was about 1:3 ratio, but when I tested it on a random painted piece it whitened like crazy. So I added more future to get to about a 1:5 ratio and that was perfect. I really was pleased with how nicely this dulled down the future coat and gave me the nice flat finish I wanted. I will be using this method on all build going forward!

Well, I have once again rambled on enough. I hope you enjoy the pics!

Kit: 1/48 Italeri AH-1W Super Cobra

Decals: Out of Box

Aftermarket: None

Paints: Tamiya Liquid Primer (white), Gunze Aqueous FS26375 Dark Compass Ghost Gray, Gunze Aqueous Black, Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Aluminum, Gold Titanium, and Jet Exhaust. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 5:1 ratio for final matte coat.

258317-16625-96.jpg

258321-16625-39.jpg

258322-16625-77.jpg

258323-16625-18.jpg

258327-16625-59.jpg

258328-16625-18.jpg

258329-16625-62.jpg

258330-16625-41.jpg

Still better then my paint finishes!! I'm not a helo guy myself but wanna do the ah-1 one day.. Very nice build! I currently have a cheap two stage Chinese eBay airbrush and think it's time to upgrade myself

Still better then my paint finishes!! I'm not a helo guy myself but wanna do the ah-1 one day.. Very nice build! I currently have a cheap two stage Chinese eBay airbrush and think it's time to upgrade myself

Eh, I don't know about that... what I have seen from you looks pretty good to me! Thanks Adam for the compliments though!

I do like helos, but I definitely love modern jets more. Judging by this build, I think helos are a bit more difficult to build.

Having a good airbrush is definitely huge. My Paasche Talon was great until I dropped it, so hopefully I get the issue I am having with it figured out. I did end up buying the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, so I am looking forward to trying it out. Any idea what airbrush you are considering? Price range?

Beautiful cobra!

Thanks slick! I appreciate ya stoppin' by and checking it out!

+1 amazing from me too. I like how visible are the rivets.

Thanks bud! I used a silver pencil to do that. And I also used a regular pencil on the light gray rivets, but that did not show up as well.

Ooh, that's noice!!!!!! Excellent paint job. I'd say your skills aren't getting sharpened very quickly if that's only your ninth build.

Thanks D-Rob! I really enjoy painting camo schemes, and find myself choosing multiple color camo schemes if I have decals of them before basic TPS or otherwise. Build #10 that I am working on now is a Monogram OA-4M which has a similar scheme to this minus the black.

It looks great. I really need to do one of these/

Floyd

Thanks Floyd! I am honored to hear these kind words from the helo master himself!

Eh, I don't know about that... what I have seen from you looks pretty good to me! Thanks Adam for the compliments though!

I do like helos, but I definitely love modern jets more. Judging by this build, I think helos are a bit more difficult to build.

Having a good airbrush is definitely huge. My Paasche Talon was great until I dropped it, so hopefully I get the issue I am having with it figured out. I did end up buying the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, so I am looking forward to trying it out. Any idea what airbrush you are considering? Price range?

Well thanks, but I still need some work improving a smoother finish..I haven't really looked into the different models to much yet. Hopefully be able to get one in the next few months. Please share how u like ur new iwata