Hasegawa Legacy Hornet drop tanks

My search skills have failed me. I thought I had read somewhere that the drop tanks on Hasegawa's Legacy Hornets are too small. I have a set from the Monogram F/A-18C, which are at least 1/4" longer. If the Hasegawa tanks are too short, does that mean the pylons are also too short, or can I just mount the Monogram tanks on them and call it a day?

Thanks,

Ben

My search skills have failed me. I thought I had read somewhere that the drop tanks on Hasegawa's Legacy Hornets are too small. I have a set from the Monogram F/A-18C, which are at least 1/4" longer. If the Hasegawa tanks are too short, does that mean the pylons are also too short, or can I just mount the Monogram tanks on them and call it a day?

Thanks,

Ben

Legend makes a nice set of tanks if you want to do the resin route. No seams to clean up either!

Thanks. I have a couple of Monogram tanks that I'll use if they're the correct size. My failing memory seems to recall something about the Hasegawa tanks being too small.

Cheers!

Ben

Yes, the Hasegawa tanks are shorter than the Monogram but keep in mind the overall dimensions of the aircraft itself. Will the longer Mono tank fit the pylon with enough clearance behind the nose gear strut, while still clearing the inner main gear doors at the back end of the tank.

The FPU-8 fuel tanks used by the Legacy F/A-18 are 188 inches long and 29.5+/- inches in diameter.

The tanks in the Hasegawa kits measure out to 184 inches, making them 4 scale inches too short. This roughly equates to a 3/32 actual inch difference. The diameter of the kit tank measures out to 30 inches....close enough!

I have the Legend set so now thanks to Dave I can go check those. I always thought the Monogram ones looked ok and never really compared them to the Hasegawa set. I think it would be eacy to cut a bread slice out of the Monogram tanks and Bob's your uncle (I hope) :)

Yes, good to know if I ever build the Monogram kit. Fortunately, I can just use the Hasegawa tanks unmodified and call it a day. The Monogram tanks would have required a lot of cleanup.

Cheers!

Ben