Any chance for a 1/48th Su-27KUB Flanker?

K'Tesh here... Yeah, I know, I've lost my "'". Computer wouldn't let me log in, so I had to go another route to get this posted.

I've just discovered the Kinetic Su-33 Flanker D in 1/48th, and I'm loving what I'm seeing. Problem is... I used to work the F-111E, and side by side seating has managed to get ahold of my aviation preferences... The SU-27KUB has got to be one of the sexiest planes out there. I'd rather not hack a beautiful kit into useless junk if I can help it.

So, does anyone know if Kinetic (or anybody else) got a 1/48th scale KUB in its sights? If not, perhaps I would be able to manage with a Su-34.

Thanks!

Edited by KTesh

Trumpeter recently released Su-33UB/Su-27KUB in 1/72 scale, if you are willing go down in scale. I guess it is possible they could scale it up down the line, but i am not expecting anyone else to do a new tool of a plane that existed as a prototype only. So basically your best bet is Trumpeter 72 kit for now. The 1/48 kit was not originally developed by Kinetic and the original company (Aviation Art) had no plans of doing Su-33UB. It is radically different frame from Su-33.

Also, a public announcement; Sukhoi designations are written with a capital letter followed by a small one, so for example Su-27, Su-34 etc. Su is first two letters of Sukhoi name.

It is probably already available in mainland China although i have no way of knowing. Usually with trumpeter/hb what they announce for a certain month tend to be available month after. So Su-33UB should have been available in April or so. In Japan it will be available within weeks, so i am sure we will start seeing it at Luckymodel/Hobbyeasy etc within weeks too; http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10378073

Corrected the designation in my OP. The Su-33UB is acceptable as an alternative to the Su-27KUB...

I can't begin to tell you all how much I like the lines of that aircraft.

Oh... and Berkut... No matter how much you push the envelope, it will always be stationery.

Edited by KTesh

I don't have the resources to check, but in the event that a Su-33UB isn't going to be available any time in the next few years, would a Su-34's cockpit/canopy be good to cannibalize a 33UB if I felt up to the challenge? Or would it be just a waste of money due to the differences?

They are too different in the nose section overall. Canopy, nose itself etc, all that is different. I have wondered why they didnt graft Su-34 nose into Su-33 instead of developing a completely new nose. I am guessing in part the the wide and flat nose of Su-34 would limit the view for carrier landings.

saddly, almost nothing is in common in between the two planes.

i remember member Flankerman did a conversion in 1/72 a long ago...it might give you an idea about the work to do LINK

at that time there wasn't a 1/72 su-33 to kitbash some items... but it wouldn't have change much of the job, as the hinge in the wings and stabs are not the same anyway...

Edited by mingwin

I did some research, and it may indicate that the UB is some what longer than the single seater, hod do you otherwise explain the additional wing cord size without changing the relative position of the trailing edge to the horizontal stabilizers and vertical fins?

If that is true, then the Trumpy UB may be fatally flawed.

Hope not.

Ok, so the yellow primer seen in so many of the photos of the KUB isn't so pretty. The Su-33UB though is one sexy beast though. Looks to me like a cross between the F-111 (cockpit), The B-1 (canards, nosecone) and the F-15 (everything else) getting the best features of each.

According to my refs, the Su-33 has a length of 21.185m, the Su-33UB is 21.2m - the same as far as I am concerned.

As the single prototype was built using a Su-33 airframe - with new, bigger wings and canards, the length remained the same....

Here's a size comparison...

su-33ub_size comparison.jpg

Note the bigger wing, outboard wing fold and lack of tailplane fold - the canards now have a leading edge 'notch'

I 'converted' an old Airfix Su-27 into a Su-33UB many years ago by grafting the cockpit from a Su-34 onto the Airfix kit ....and it is quite an undertaking...

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/su-27kub.htm

The result looked like this.... the camouflaged areas are the Su-33 airframe, the primer is the new parts.

flank_53.jpg

So it is do-able in 1/48 scale - although you will have to obtain a donor Su-34 kit.

Ken

I think you are correct - mine was done before I knew any better, using the first published photos.

I'm not sure how accurate the drawings are in Aviatsiya i Vremya - but they are a starting point.

Downloadable from here......

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su27kubaiv.html

Ken

Edited by Flankerman