G'day people,

I would like to play as well!

I managed to pick up this last week at our annual second hand kit sale.

DSCN2986_zpsc7er7ojb.jpg

As I bought the kit pretty cheap, I can spend the $$$ I saved on some other goodies like resin seats and intakes.

The start pic

DSCN2987_zps731hydm4.jpg

The first job was the unpleasant task of removing all the extra airframe lumps and bumps that are not required. My biggest gripe with the Hasegawa Phantom 'family' is the requirement to remove these bumps. I wish Hasegawa had simply added these bits as separate panels or add on details with flashed over holes as it is the most time consuming part of any Phantom build.

Rant over, back to regular programming

Fist up, I dealt with the main u/c trunnion covers

DSCN2991_zpsa9qcfacm.jpg

DSCN2990_zpsz3uxypdk.jpg

These were cut away with a pair of side cutters until only a small portion remained, then they were further scraped away before finishing off with wet'n'dry paper.

DSCN2990_zpsz3uxypdk.jpg

I will need to re-scribe lost panel lines, but I need to apply some small smears of putty first.

Next up,

The lower antennas will also need to be dealt with,

DSCN2989_zpsj0e7ohon.jpg

DSCN2988_zpsipvplszo.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Can't beat a good Phantom, mind you'll need the change the rear stabilizers to the slotted type.

Yup!

I swapped outa pair from an F-4E kit

Nice subject! Good luck on this one!

iUcVyod.jpg

Cheers, it is a good thing I have a great reference book!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Applaus! One of the most iconic greek fighters! I am happy to see this in that GB! And yes, Ioannis Lekkas is more than right to mention his book about THAT Phantom! Come and get that stuff, highly recommended!!

Lol... I guess not! Go forward an get filthy my friend!

Cheers Andrew,

G'day people,

A little more prep work.

The rear fairing aft of the cockpit includes two small antennas, these were cut off and the part smoothed off,

DSCN3003_zpspfrbngnz.jpg

At the front end, more antennas were removed and a panel is inserted on the right side.

DSCN2998_zpsdogdfrot.jpg

DSCN2997_zpsqq2savzh.jpg

I think these are associated with the F-4G version.

Meanwhile, I decided to fit some full length resin intakes, but the fuselage halves will need some preparation first,as the kit supplies a truncated intake only

DSCN3002_zpsguqgnnmp.jpg

Even though I bought the kit cheap, I always find it a bit scary when you first decide to hack into a kit. This is what I ended up with,

DSCN3001_zpsmv05foyy.jpg

DSCN3000_zpsnjpbr6ex.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Well, after taking a saw and files to the intake area, it was time to see if teh resin replacements would play nice with the rest of the kit,

DSCN3017_zpsvnh96nvl.jpg

DSCN3016_zpskgavsyr3.jpg

Fit seems not too shabby!

One other modification that I added to the fuselage was to cut out the small panel on top of the nose.

DSCN3009_zpsqa9e9hdy.jpg

This panel is part of the gun gas venting system and is always open when the jet is on the deck

Meanwhile, the wing is together and the seams have been cleaned up

DSCN3005_zpshwyunvea.jpg

A few bits of PE for the main wheel bays

DSCN3004_zpserrdqjsj.jpg

Finally, I started work on the inner pylons.

DSCN3010_zps3pbauh8m.jpg

Curiously, these feature (restrained) raised detail, whilst the remainder of the kit panel lines are engraved. I think this is a throwback to the early, short nose Hasegawa Phantoms which also feature raised panel details. It is a pity that Hasegawa did not re-tool these when they issued the later long nose Phantoms.The missile rails looks a little anemic as they are too thin. I am trying to decide what they are supposed to be. They are about the correct length for the Aero 3B, but they are too wide and too thin. They look more like LAU-7's, but they are a tad too wide and again too thin. They also have a couple of ejector pin marks which need filling.

cheers,

Pappy

I'll be following this one... looking good!

Thanks jochemp,

G'day people,

I have shifted my focus to the back end. The kit exhausts feature nice turbine face details but otherwise the inside of the exhausts are a little plain. I have added a little PE goodness to improve this area.

DSCN3018_zpsea6am2kp.jpg

DSCN3019_zps4zq1lusb.jpg

I will add the PE spray rings after the interiors have been painted up.

The kit exhausts are also a little short and lack the corrugated linings of the real items, however I can live with this. There are better resin replacement items available, however I am happy with my results as they are a compromise between absolute detail and cost. The details on the replacement resin exhausts can also be hard to see without a torch once installed as they are buried deep within the fuselage. In any case, this build is not intended a s a 'kitchen sink' build,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Sweet job on the exhaust interior Pappy. Keep it up!

Thanks Andrew,

G'day people,

Having finished cleaning up the wing and fuselage parts, the tub started to get some love at last

DSCN3027_zpsh7bezl2m.jpg

The AUP's most notable external differences are found in the cockpits. The front and rear instrument panels are very different as they both feature MFD's, one for the front panel and two for the rear.The remaining analogue guages are also re-arranged.

I cheated a bit and used a resin panel designed to represent the F-4EJ "Kai" as this only needed a slight modification.

DSCN3025_zps1gd9prtr.jpg

The rear panel will require much more work. I began by removing the upper portion as this section will be completely re-built. The upper section was retained and thinned down greatly, as I then sliced it apart and added the required instruments to the lower section. I had previously bought an F-4J/S PE set at a model swap meet for a few bucks. Although much of the cockpit detail is not applicable, by creatively cutting apart the panels , it will be a good source of instruments and placards, some of which were used here.

DSCN3026_zpssdqpp5ty.jpg

DSCN3024_zpsex9ys1bv.jpg

DSCN3023_zpsootku4ug.jpg

Thanks for looking,

cheers,

Pappy

DSCN3026_zpssdqpp5ty.jpg

Very detail build so far ... Keep it up.

Looking forward to its completion. :thumbsup:/>

G'day Brutus,

Thanks very much.

G'day people,

The two instruments panels got a lick of paint and the details were picked out with a fine brush

DSCN3031_zpssrqhbkh2.jpg

Test fitted to see how they will look in place

DSCN3029_zpsnkcdevks.jpg

Not too shabby,

cheers,

Pappy

DSCN3030_zpstwl7mhpo.jpg

G'day people,

I was wondering what to do about the cockpit sidewalls. The cockpit tub has some really nice details and can look very good with a few minor tweaks and a sharp paint job, but the sidewalls are a little bare by comparison to the real thing which has a lot going on in this area. I remembered that several years ago one of eh vendors at our annual model show was selling off a whole bunch of resin cockpit seconds. these were incomplete sets, flawed castings etc, and he was asking 20c each. I grabbed a handful of this stuff and have slowly been using it here and there. I was going through this stuff when I realised that I had three sidewall elements of a 1/48 F-4J detail set - score!

Now I realise that the F-4J is a significantly different animal to the F-4E, but apart from the aft right side, these resin parts will do the job. I am sure all the Phantom Phanciers out there will be rolling their eyes and tutt -tutting about now, and fair enough too, when they build their kit they can get it perfect. For me these resin bits are not just good, they are good enough!

Here is what they look like at the moment,

DSCN3039_zpsts4g4cyx.jpg

DSCN3040_zpshdo44j9t.jpg

Hopefully painting tomorrow if the weather improves

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

G'day Andrew,

Thanks mate.

I just use super glue, the cheaper the better. I usually buy the twin pack stuff from Woolies. I do find that the CA tends to oxidise quickly and goes from a very thin water like consistency to very viscous syrup like goo over the course of a couple of weeks.

G'day people,

A little more work on the undercarriage today,

DSCN3044_zpswix6s7yv.jpg

DSCN3045_zpsjxqa2ufv.jpg

I also made a start on the stores,

DSCN3049_zpskpnoo9bh.jpg

DSCN3048_zpsch1jfwnp.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Nice work so far, especially on the legs. Noticed that you have the wrong centerline tank in the pictures, the one you have is carried by the RF-4's, while the F-4E more or else only ever carry the F-15 hi-g style.

Nice work so far, especially on the legs. Noticed that you have the wrong centerline tank in the pictures, the one you have is carried by the RF-4's, while the F-4E more or else only ever carry the F-15 hi-g style.

G'day Soctt,

I don't doubt you but I have seen pics of the F-4E (AUP)'s with the older style tank as well. If I had an F-15 style tank I would use it instead but unfortunately the original centreline tank is all I have,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I spent today doing some fun stuff at last.

The cockpit tub and fuselage sides got some paint,

DSCN3054_zpsadoqpwqp.jpg

DSCN3053_zpszsdrwe4s.jpg

DSCN3052_zpssa14fyyf.jpg

The macro lens is very unforgiving - looks like i need to do some touch ups!

Sidewalls next,

DSCN3056_zpsomuloltg.jpg

DSCN3055_zpszwlso2rf.jpg

I have also been busy with ordnance,

DSCN3057_zpsafgovami.jpg

cheers,

Pappy