RAF Upper Heyford F-111E Nose Art

If anybody has any good references on the F-111E's of UH, I'd like to see it. I worked the pigs of the 77th TFS and the 42nd ECS, and I don't remember seeing nose art on any of them during my time there (July 1988 - Sept 1990) I've found references to 68-020 having "The Chief" painted on it back in 1989, but personally don't remember seeing it.

Specifically, I'm looking for images of the artwork, and the dates it was painted that way.

For more of my memories of them, you can check out post #29 in the F-111E armament options thread.

Thanks!

There are a number of UH F-111E/EF-111A nose arts with associated serial numbers in the Thornborough Fotofax F-111 book. It can be purchased for a song and a dance at amazon. I believe most of the Upper Heyford art presented in the book dates from around 1988. (some pics are cited, others are not)

http://www.amazon.com/Aardvark-Warbirds-Fotofax-Anthony-Thornborough/dp/0853689350/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1464038492&sr=8-6&keywords=F-111+Aardvark

*edit*

the F-111 "success in action" book doesn't show artwork per-say (maybe in some photos), but it does have a comprehensive list of 20th FW F-111s and the nose art names associated with all of them dated from 87-88. Also, the "Success in Action" book is pretty much required reading for all Aardvark fans, it's a great addition to the library!

http://www.amazon.com/F-111-Success-Anthony-M-Thornborough/dp/0853689881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464038871&sr=8-1&keywords=F-111+success+in+action

Edited by Skull Leader

There are a number of UH F-111E/EF-111A nose arts with associated serial numbers in the Thornborough Fotofax F-111 book. It can be purchased for a song and a dance at amazon. I believe most of the Upper Heyford art presented in the book dates from around 1988. (some pics are cited, others are not)

http://www.amazon.com/Aardvark-Warbirds-Fotofax-Anthony-Thornborough/dp/0853689350/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1464038492&sr=8-6&keywords=F-111+Aardvark

*edit*

the F-111 "success in action" book doesn't show artwork per-say (maybe in some photos), but it does have a comprehensive list of 20th FW F-111s and the nose art names associated with all of them dated from 87-88. Also, the "Success in Action" book is pretty much required reading for all Aardvark fans, it's a great addition to the library!

http://www.amazon.com/F-111-Success-Anthony-M-Thornborough/dp/0853689881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464038871&sr=8-1&keywords=F-111+success+in+action

Thanks for the links...

Now if I can only figure out how to aquire enough to buy them (as well as convert my RMB into USD) to get them shipped to me here. I'm currently teaching English (part time) in the PRC.

Of course, if anyone has scans that'd help too!

Edited by KTesh

Thanks for the links...

Now if I can only figure out how to aquire enough to buy them (as well as convert my RMB into USD) to get them shipped to me here. I'm currently teaching English (part time) in the PRC.

Of course, if anyone has scans that'd help too!

Scans would be illegal :)

The books are pretty cheap, themselves... but I'm sure shipping wouldn't be very pleasant.

Thanks!

I looked at them, and all I can remember about them was the tiger stripes on the top of the tails. I certainly don't remember seeing "Bad Medicine" or "On Guard". I honestly think that there was a phase when nose art on them had been removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a few.

Any one you wanted to see in particular?

Might not have it but worth a shot.

I'd like to see all of them, see if any neurons get fired.

Thanks ES!

Do you happen to remember when these photos were taken?

BTW, so far my neurons are not digging up any genuine memories of these. A few I recognize from places on the web, but not from the flightline.

Thanks again!

Edited by KTesh

IIRC the nose art was removed from the jets sometime mid 1988...

Not sure if it was the then 20TFW Commander who pulled the plug or the higher up USAFE brass..

I do remember that Spangdahlem were also putting Sharkmouths on there new F-16's to match the F-4G's they flew...but only a handful got them before it was canned too apparently the gaudy billboard F-16's at Ramstein and a number of Hahn F-16's with WW2 style nose art including nudes was the nail in the coffin of someones idea of esprit de corps within the USAFE.

IIRC the nose art was removed from the jets sometime mid 1988...

Not sure if it was the then 20TFW Commander who pulled the plug or the higher up USAFE brass..

I do remember that Spangdahlem were also putting Sharkmouths on there new F-16's to match the F-4G's they flew...but only a handful got them before it was canned too apparently the gaudy billboard F-16's at Ramstein and a number of Hahn F-16's with WW2 style nose art including nudes was the nail in the coffin of someones idea of esprit de corps within the USAFE.

Nuts... Just before I got there apparently.

Some of those really are outstanding!

Thanks for posting them.