I use pure ammonia, it smell like piss but kills Future on contact. After that a good flush with common H2O and you are good to go.

Bonus:I also have a small vase of ammonia handy every time I dip canopies in Future. if you screw it up you just drop the canopy in the ammonia, it literally peel and dissolve Future in matter of seconds.

Windex...or ammonia more specifically...will destroy the plating on your airbrush just as Matt says. I can verify this having used it for years to clean out acrylics. I will say though it's really not effected the functionality...yet.

Also great points, thanks! Not worried about the chrome plating, it would only be used in my "lesser" airbrush, my trusty 30-year old Badger 350 which has seen me through thick and thin.

Glad to know not to use it in the more refined one I use for detail work... :)

• 2 weeks later...

What do you use to clean your airbrushes after spraying Future? I am a lifelong enamels sprayer and want to make sure I know what I'm doing with this...would you use window cleaner?

If you really have to use Future, versus other clear coats then I would invite you to pull an old airbrush out of the drawer or buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight. As others have mentioned Ammonia does cut or break down Future but at the detriment to the airbrush. If you are using an Iwata, Grex or Harder & Steenbeck airbrush you're risking damage to a $150-300+ airbrush. Also, you might even want to check with the manufacturer or read the airbrush manual. Grex specifically stipulates not to use ammonia based products through the airbrush.

I get asked this question all the time to which I ask a question back, "Do you spray fine lines when shooting Future?" Typically I get a deer in the headlights look then the word, "No" slips out. So then I ask why put a caustic product (Windex or anything with ammonia) through your expensive precision airbrush? Future alone can gum up an airbrush pretty easily if it's left uncleaned even for a short amount of time.

When using Future all that is necessary is appropriate atomization, nothing more. A cheap or old airbrush in proper working order should be able to accomplish that at a bare minimum. Future is self leveling so allow it to function accordingly. There really isn't a justification to put Future through any expensive airbrush regardless of the manufacturer.

Been doing this for years with my Badger and other brushes...no ill effects:

1. Straight from the bottle, spray 2-4 nice even mist coats of Future. Keep it light, don't let it pool. Spray a mist coat, then walk away for 15 minutes. Repeat

2. Empty out your airbrush and pour in some Windex. Lightly mist on a coat of Windex as a leveling agent for the already applied Future. Then walk away for ~12 hours (hard too do I know).

3. Clean out your airbrush, I always use laq thinner.

Results:

DSCN6465.jpg

DSCN6470.jpg

DSCN7023.jpg

DSCN7021.jpg

DSCN7151.jpg

Edited by Collin

What do you use to clean your airbrushes after spraying Future? I am a lifelong enamels sprayer and want to make sure I know what I'm doing with this...would you use window cleaner?

I use generic lacquer thinner. More importantly, however, after every painting and future session, I make sure to pull the needle out, swipe it clean, clean the bottom of the cup with a qtip (where the needle would normally get in the way), and clean the nozzle with a qtip. If I don't do this, I always get paint build up that makes the needle get stuck in the next painting session. This is particularly more problematic with Future. So this partial disassembly is something I always do.

poured strait from the bottle into the AB cup and as mentioned before, 2-3 light coats is usually the trick.

have a bucket or your favorite container with some hot soapy water (dish washing detergent will do) at the ready.

disconnect the cup - immerse the AB - blow a few seconds of air.

walk away and go get a cup of coffee

come back when your done with the coffee - wipe things down

seems to work just fine.

regards