Looking at starting this kit. Anyone built this kit yet? If so any thoughts on it? Looks like it will be a slow build with all the detail, but plan on leaving the engine out with closed cowlings at least. I appreciate any thoughts, comments or such on this kit. Thanks

Wayne

Everything on mine fits perfectly. Except those damn seperate wing leading edges! They were atrocious, and needed a lot of sanding and filling, which means restoration of all that beautiful rivet detail. So mine is stalled in exasperation. Why on earth those leading edges are seperate defeats me, was there a slatted or slotted pe-2 at some point?

Why on earth those leading edges are seperate defeats me, was there a slatted or slotted pe-2 at some point?

Yes, late model Pe-3 have had slats, and Zvezda is going to make it as well. BTW, with a little care those leading edges fits well.

Sergey.

Yes, late model Pe-3 have had slats, and Zvezda is going to make it as well. BTW, with a little care those leading edges fits well.

Sergey.

Not on mine they didn't. It wasn't "A little bit of care" issue, it was a fundamental cross section difference issue. Maybe I had some warpage, but nothing was obvious, just an appalling fit.

The PE-2 sure looks like the TU-2.Same designer?

NO !

Tupolev comes from Tupolev

and Petlyakov comes from Petlyakov. (later taken over by Myasischev after Petlyakov's death)

both twin-engined Soviet bombers of WWII , but that is where the similarity ends.