Revell-o-gram F-15C 1/48

I decided that after a few builds I needed to step outside my comfort level and try and build some skills i think i need to work on so time for a full re-scribe experience. I recently picked up 6 kits of a fellow member all of which are raised panel lines but i couldn't pass up the deal and figure why not give it a shot. Ive gotten to comfortable and need to expand my skills. I also hope someone will see this build and want to give it a go as well. Up till now I havent done more then add a few panels and re-scribe a few lines here and there so this will be new to me. Im gonna build it OOB except I may pick up some decals (if anyone has some decent ones sitting around pm me). Im rather surprised at how some details of the kit are better then some newer HAS kits i have seen. The pilot figure is rather nice along with a ground crew figure. The cockpit sidewall detail is really good and the landing gear even has some wiring molded in. The only downside is the panel lines so this could be worth is especially with the price of these kits. Anyways I decided to start out with the wings and tail sections. I also cut out the flaps and ailerons. Im gonna try and add the lights out of colored plastic as seen in a few build also. This prob won't live up too Vedran's F-15E build he is doing as it is amazing and made me choose to do this one first out of the 6 I have but great learning curve. After reading a fair bit on different techniques for a full re-scribe i decided to follow the panel lines with a pin and also using some scribbing templates i have. So far its working out pretty well although i have had a few slips ups that will need some attention. If anyone has any tips throw them my way!! Heres where I'm at :thumbsup:/>

Before re-scribe

27179812191_a13db8b05e_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

After re-scribe

27152214352_7b2fe74293_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

Looks pretty good so far. If you don't have any Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (black), to check your scribing work, grab some. This stuff is awesome and I use it to check my scribing work. It works by capillary action.

Steve

Looks pretty good so far. If you don't have any Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (black), to check your scribing work, grab some. This stuff is awesome and I use it to check my scribing work. It works by capillary action.

Steve

I do have some actually..I used it on my tomcat for the first time after I seen you use it in your tomcat build 👍🏻 That's why I love arc! So many ideas and help around here

Looking good. I made some full reschribing in the past too on my models (Revell F-14, Testors F-14, Monogram F-8 Crusader etc...) If someone will take time to do it right, can make a huge upgrade to theese older model kits. (So to say, sometimes theese older kits have less shape issues than the new ones, and on the other hand the detailing is very poor on them. But this can be corrected by a talented modeller. :) )

Thanks guys! i like the challenge and am actually enjoying doing this. Heres where I'm at today!

After filling a few slips of the pin and giving a sand with 1000 grit i applied a wash to the new panel lines. So far its looking like my lines are a little shallow as the wash didn't wick properly on some of the panels. To get to this stage I gave each line 3-4 pulls with the pin progressively more pressure. I think though now I'm going to go over the lines with one pull with the scriber to clean them up. Also all these lines are what was on the kit already. I still may add more panels and then possibly some rivets once all the scribing is complete and I'm happy.

Heres one of the tails. It was a bit of a challenge going around some of the curves and a few slips happened. Since I slipped on the first pass the line was pretty shallow so instead of having the headache of filling and sanding i did a second pull from the other direction so not to follow the slip and if it went good i simply made it a little deeper so i could lightly sand out the first slip. Its not prefect by any means and will still require some attention. The first pic you can see the slip, second is fixed and third is with a wash

26661412773_aa2a86c743_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

Here you can see the wing panel on the left had one extra pass with the scriber. It took the wash much better.

26660293484_45f5aea2f1_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27233538106_572909cbc0_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27267279875_ba3f473dec_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

Last update for the day. Spent the last 2 hours on the top fuselage. Things went ok here but I'm not looking forward to the lower half :wacko:/> Still need to touch up a few lines here but i started making better use of my scribing templates for as much of the lines and hatches as possible to avoid jumping off the raised lines. Also me and my scriber are not on good terms. It likes to be a pain in you know what and jump off track since the needle lines are so thin. I may just give it a few more passed with the pin instead as the lines look better thinner but just need to be deeper

Before

27200464121_234c2eac04_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

After

26663414184_d57bbb741e_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

26664603783_0680455431_b.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

If you have to schribe exact curves, or "impossible" shapes (what cannot be done with schribing templates or a simple rudder), you can make your own templates from a sheet of plastic. After doing this template, you can use a needle to schribe the surface instead of a scriber. (With the needle you can only make shallow passes, but after doing 3-4-5-7-8 times, the result will be satisfiing. :)/> )

This is what i was doing to my F-14 by my own templates. The wing has some slips too, but this line was more than a "komplex shape", with lots of curves to all direction. :)/>

20140117_230156_zps9bdcfa7e.jpg

20150202_225519_zpsd797c104.jpg

20140117_230206_zps28143668.jpg

Plus this is how it came out on other surfaces, with riveting.

20150202_225531_zpsa658fb3f.jpg

20150202_225525_zps4e883c53.jpg

If you have to schribe exact curves, or "impossible" shapes (what cannot be done with schribing templates or a simple rudder), you can make your own templates from a sheet of plastic. After doing this template, you can use a needle to schribe the surface instead of a scriber. (With the needle you can only make shallow passes, but after doing 3-4-5-7-8 times, the result will be satisfiing. :)/>/>/> )This is what i was doing to my F-14 by my own templates. The wing has some slips too, but this line was more than a "komplex shape", with lots of curves to all direction. :)/>/>/>20140117_230156_zps9bdcfa7e.jpg20150202_225519_zpsd797c104.jpg20140117_230206_zps28143668.jpgPlus this is how it came out on other surfaces, with riveting.20150202_225531_zpsa658fb3f.jpg20150202_225525_zps4e883c53.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Im not sure why i didn't think of using some plasticard :thumbsup:/>

It looks like you are really getting the hang of this re-scribing thing!

Thanks, its getting less stressful every line i pull. Hopefully it will turn out nice in the end

Superb job with this rescribing task, I will follow this WIP, regards!

Thanks a lot! As stated I'm far from a pro model maker like a lot of the guys on here but i figure maybe me documenting this will help out a few people and encourage them to try something new :thumbsup:/>

So today I took a break from the scribing and wanted to add the anti-collision and position lights. After seeing how much better a kit can look with actual coloured glass that fits right i decided to give it a go. I cut out the shape on the wings and started hacking away. I have an old snowmobile in the garage that I'm in the middle of fixing up that has a cracked tail light so i used the red lens for the donor material. Once i had a tight fit against the wing I glued it with super glue and sanded to shape followed by a polish. Im pretty happy with how it turned out. I just need to find some green material for the other wing tip and add a clear piece to the other vertical stab. Gonna look for a tooth brush at the store this weekend that is clear green to chop up. Heres some pics

26682090723_2bca18867a_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27012761620_c4273b6be0_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27191517122_2e33d2b318_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27191478412_7a9116582f_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27254586246_f593298d45_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

27192091702_77d73dcf67_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

Thanks for the tip. Im not sure why i didn't think of using some plasticard :thumbsup:/>/>

Way to modest.

Thanks, its getting less stressful every line i pull. Hopefully it will turn out nice in the end

Thanks a lot! As stated I'm far from a pro model maker like a lot of the guys on here but i figure maybe me documenting this will help out a few people and encourage them to try something new :thumbsup:/>/>

• 6 months later...

Well after i put this one on the back burner for a while i picked back up on the scribing. It got extremely frustrating on the bottom fuselage but after the long break i managed to get it done. The gear doors fit pretty bad but with some filler and lots of crazy glue they seem smooth.I got the nose together and fully re-scribed and sanded smooth with the exception of the nose gear door as it doesn't even come close to fitting so i will be making one from scratch. Next up I will be sanding the seam lines on the fuselage halves and install the wings. Glad to see some progress on this one and the mojo is restored! Its not perfect by any means but its been a great learning experience as i have a few more kits in my collection that need a re-scribe such as the ea-6b and a phantom i have.

30998002293_0759a68423_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

31435104420_9625a8e892_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

31691122851_a7545ff675_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr

30966962794_d38008cef5_c.jpgUntitled by Adam Szendrei, on Flickr