Tamiya Surface Primer (in bottle)

Hi all -

I've tried several time to use this stuff in my airbrush (mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner), and pressure settings between 20 and 40 psi......I always use my electric mixer to spin up this stuff, but it seems to always make my AB clog and spit chunks of what looks like the pigment.

Have tried both gray and white versions....old and new bottles..... has anyone had success spraying this stuff thru their airbrush?

TIA,

Irv

I've been told that this is supposed to be the same stuff that's in their spray cans.

Haven't tried spraying it... I use it almost like Mr. Surfacer (i stuck an extra brush from an extra thin cement bottle in the lid), and it works great for minor scratches and such ;)

I use it ll the time (white), and I found that when it does what you mentioned it needs more thinner. Once I add more thinner it usually takes care of that issue. It is great stuff, if a bit finicky sometimes.

Also you are spraying a lot higher psi than me. I am usually in the 12-20 range.

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

I have been using Tamiya Gray primer as my go to primer, with the white reserved just for bright colors. I've never had any issues air brushing it. The trick is to apply it slightly wet. I use a Iwata M-2 with a .4 needle. I thin the gray primer 2 parts primer to 3 parts Tamiya Yellow cap Lacquer Thinner. The flow air pressure is 20 psi.

Joel