How would you respond to this?

Hi everyone. It's been long since I've been here. I was busy from the past several months but I'm back here not only to check what's new but to share something I am compelled to tell.

The models I do and share here .. I found a motivating way of doing it: Turning them into presents. In the past I've made a few scale models as farewell gifts to my former coworkers. They really loved it and it got everyone's attention there.

One person approached me and asked if I do anything other than building plastic models, I answered no, and then he suggested balsa models. I told him I'll think about it but then he went on discussing how "advanced" balsa modeling is compared to plastic scale models and told me I should stop doing "childish" baby stuff .... !!

Excuse me? Who is he to say that? What kind of person would come out of nowhere and tell me this? I joke him back saying 'don't be ridiculous', but in my mind I was DEEPLY offended. Reason is he's not a hobby type of person, he never build models for a hobby, and he doesn't know me. What kind of people are we dealing with nowadays? Geez!! :angry:

Now that I vented (sorry but I had to get it out of me) I have a curious question: If some random person did say that to you then how would you respond to that?

Hey, welcome back!

Yep, humanity is full of folks not worth the trouble they take to talk to us. Lots of ways to handle that, from laughing it off with an annoyed chuckle signaling that this is not a discussion welcome to you, or a well-meaning counter like "Yeah, but I like mine to look more real than that." Or similar.

In the end, never mud-wrestle with a pig. You'll only get dirty, and the pig loves it anyway. :cheers:

Raise above it - their problem, not yours.

Building plastic kits vs. balsa, one scale vs. another - it is all down preference. If this person cannot accept or respect your choice of hobby, leave them alone.

The person is probably just jealous in the end

In the end, never mud-wrestle with a pig. You'll only get dirty, and the pig loves it anyway. :cheers:

And no matter what he says, you're NEVER gonna hear from him again! :P (-this from ChippyWho in Northamptonshire, where they should have 'Deliverance Country' on the bottom of licence plates...)

I always find it a bit weird when someone feels the need to denigrate another's interests; they're clearly trying to compensate for their own insecurities. Best to smile politely, nod indulgently, then head in the direction of AWAY!

Meh, opinions are like you-know-what...everybody's got one. People like this guy you mention are not worth the time or effort to get into a pi$$ing match with. They have already made up their mind and nothing you say or do will change that. So, like someone else posted, smile, turn, walk away (feel free to shake head slightly as you do).

:cheers:

I have a curious question: If some random person did say that to you then how would you respond to that?

Um-m-m ... yup ... I've run into this type of person too. And ... I engage them.

When, in conversation, I tell them that I build Scale Models and qualify it with Plastic Scale Models and they'll invariably say "... you mean Airplane Models?" And yes, that's exactly what I mean but-t-t ... there's a lot more to it than that.

Now, I do a lot of scratch building on my models and I relate this effort to building a nice piece of furniture from a few pieces of lumber. My goal is to give my questioner a better idea as to the research, the measuring, the tools required, the sanding, the painting, the learning curve and the wide variety of skills needed to finish one of these scale replicas.

As a recreation, I will ask them what THEY do for recreation and if they build something with their hands, or knit, or Paint, or work on their cars, or bake ... I tell them that the creativity that they do for fun is the same as I do. The satisfaction is the same. And to do it in miniature is an enjoyable challenge too. Sometimes, they do nothing for recreation and simply can't grasp building a 'toy' ... well, then I can't reach them as they can't relate to spending their spare time DOING anything ... but I do try to leave them with a little more knowledge about this hobby than what they have in their tiny little minds.

i try to treat these adults the same as if a little kid asked what I was doing. I show off a little enthusiasm, a little energy and communicate the pure pleasure I get from this activity.

... then if that doesn't work, I tell them to go forth and multiply! :rolleyes:

You should've asked what his hobby/pastime is, then ridicule him for it. I had one guy at work try and take the mick out of me a few years back, but when I asked him what he did in his spare he couldn't answer me as he didn't have any hobbies, now that is sad....

You should've asked what his hobby/pastime is, then ridicule him for it. I had one guy at work try and take the mick out of me a few years back, but when I asked him what he did in his spare he couldn't answer me as he didn't have any hobbies, now that is sad....

Couldn't agree more! I was actually going to suggest doing this as well.

Actually, the original post made me think of something I think I saw on Facebook. It was one of those "wise sayings of the day" or something like that. I can't remember the exact words but it basically said to never ridicule someone's hobby for it is their passion in life.

I told him I'll think about it but then he went on discussing how "advanced" balsa modeling is compared to plastic scale models and told me I should stop doing "childish" baby stuff .... !!

People who make statements like that, usually don't know WTH they are talking about, he should go out buy one of Tamiya's WWII 32nd scale kits, and finish it in a manner demanded by the intricacy of the kit, after he's binned it, or told someone he didn't have the time...we would know he's just not capable and isn't good enough to even polish your shoes.

People outside of our hobby do not understand it and never will.

I try not to mention anything unless I know they might half understand what we do.

Curt

People outside of our hobby do not understand it and never will.

I try not to mention anything unless I know they might half understand what we do.

Curt

Same here!

I have to know the person very well and know their personality before I would even mention it...What a shame it even has to be considered due to shallow thinking Neandethals thinking you're just playing around with toy aeroplanes.

Whenever I take time off work to travel to a model comp, I always tell my boss the trip is for something else, because he is the type of bloke that would not even be able to start to comprehend the true reason, It would be be so far away from his world that he just wouldnt believe what I would be telling him.

Then again, some people that do happen to find out about it that I would expect an adverse reaction, are surprisingly, genuinely interested, so you never know...but as I said, I always hold the cards close to my chest until I find out what they are like.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Me, I had my former Pastor tell me one while we were discussing something, he said with a flippant attitude and wiggling of the hands " That plastic thing you do".

I was offended because he said it with an attitude of it being a childish hobby.

I love what I do and I've been building models since I was a kid and I enjoy it!

By the way, I like to play golf too! 😀

Tim

Take heart. There are at least as many people that appreciate our hobby, and say so, as there are people who cut it down.

Every single singer that has come to our house ends up wasting rehearsal time looking at the airplane collection.

I hear things like, you built this?, cool,,,,,,,are there still many people that do this?,,,,,how are those tiny bombs attached? Where do you find the markings to paint on there? (yes!!, I am an adequate decaler, lol, if they think I painted that stuff on)

After years of teasing me about my "airplane toys", my gramps once took me aside to make sure I knew that he was only teasing.

I think you should make a highly accurate plastic scale model of a donkey (can I say "a$$" here?) and give it to him as an "early" farewell gift. :monkeydance:

Edited by habu2