How is the Revell 1/32 F-15 doing shapewise?

Hey everybody:

A question to the experts here.

I just had the chance to snatch a 1/32 F-15 Echo from Revell for a lousy five euros; the boxing depicts the green camoflaged F-15E prototype.

It would be nice if I could turn this thing into a F-15I Ra'am.

I know it's actually not a real F-15E possible and that it lacks drop tanks and correct pylons and cockpit. I usually take my time building models and am not in a hurry and a big part of the fun of the hobby is actually scratching something and coming up with ideas on how to fix something that isn't there on or in a kit in the first place and I figure a lot of stuff is available on the after market as well.

What would actually be a real turn off though would be any severe accuracy issues in shape. I sweeped the www and tried my luck on several forums but so far no luck with any decent review (guess that is because most tend to build the Tamiya kit but I don't see any reason for me to pay the premium prices in that case).

Can anybody here give any input or intel on how the old Revell kit is faring shapewise? Are there any major discrepancies?

In any case a big THANK YOU in advance to everyone taking the time for a reply.

Edited by bushande

Shape wise it's nice, for a B model not an E. If memory serves me it

needs larger tires, bulged doors for the tires and IPs consistent to

an E. But it is a nice B. I did the 1/72 boxing and it's nice, but NOT

an E---John

I'll go out on a limb and say it's every bit as good as the Tamiya kit- for a B, not an E.

Be aware that the conformal tanks are not the same as on the later E either.

I've actually fitted the Tamiya single-seater F-15C nose and apart from some expected adjustment to the spine, width-wise and depth-wise it fits like a glove, with the inter-fuselage/intake fillet a perfect fit. Mine's an original from the early 80s and is cleanly moulded with more finesse on the fairing aft of the airbrake, and inset side panels with more detail. You get well fitting, full length intake trunks, complete wheel wells with structure, though the jet nozzles, with turkey feathers are a bit plain but would be very acceptable with a good paintjob. The wing pylons may be a bit skinny too.

It's possible more modern versions may be not so clean, or may exhibit flash, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was after returning to it after a few decades. The interchangeability with the Tamiya parts helped confirm that.

An E/I may be more of a challenge, but given the Tamiya kit needs a new undercarriage (GT Resin should be covering that soon with good metal legs), and would benefit from aftermarket jet nozzles and the Isracast update set, you'd also need an aftermarket cockpit with ACES seats. The bulged door sprues (and others like the conformal tank sprues) can often be found on eBay, so it's certainly doable with some motivation and good refs.

Edited by chek

Thanks a ton to the both of you for the intel. Thats very valuable for me. :salute::thumbsup:

So shapewise I don't need to worry a lot anymore I guess. That's great news.

@ John: Thanks for the input! Hope I won't sound too dump now but might I ask, what you mean with IPs? I only know the abreviation for Instructor Pilot. Sorry if that is a dump question. I sadly can't see the three photos you have attached. All I see is a kitten and the phrase no photos found".

@ chek: Thanks a lot also to you for the great input. That was very helpful. I hope you don't mind but could you get a bit more into detail about the difference in the CFTs? That would be very helpful for me. Are there any reference pics around that illustrate the difference? I'll have a look out for potential Tamiya sprues in the bay but maybe I'm able to scratch-adjust what the kit provides?!

I also don't have any real impression of the difference between the front wheel doors. Can anyone maybe forward me to a good refence image to get a better impression of what I might be getting into regarding necessary rework?

Far as I was able to gather, there are extra drop tanks available on the aftermarket as the kit doesn't offer any. I figured I'd be going for a resin cockpit and extras anyways regardless whether I'd have a Revell or a Tamiya on the table and I confess that dishing out money for extras feels way easier with a kit I had to spend five bucks on rather than one I had to spend ninetyfive for.

The nozzles will definitely need some explicit attention but at least the turkey feathers are there for an F-15I I guess.

Edited by bushande

T

@ chek: Thanks a lot also to you for the great input. That was very helpful. I hope you don't mind but could you get a bit more into detail about the difference in the CFTs? That would be very helpful for me. Are there any reference pics around that illustrate the difference? I'll have a look out for potential Tamiya sprues in the bay but maybe I'm able to scratch-adjust what the kit provides?!

I also don't have any real impression of the difference between the front wheel doors. Can anyone maybe forward me to a good refence image to get a better impression of what I might be getting into regarding necessary rework?

"Each (F-15E) CFT is fitted with 2x3 weapon racks (note that all current F-15E CFT's are of type IV, earlier type CFT's are without weapon racks). The lower three pylons were moulded into a single, straight runner which contains 3 BRU-47/A racks. The upper three pylons feature BRU-46/A racks. The maximum payload for the upper pylons is 1100 pounds, the forward and aft lower pylons have a combined maximum load of 2200 pounds, while the middle lower pylon can hold up to 3300 pounds of weapon load".

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/fuel-system/91-conformal-fuel-tanks

I'm not sure of the nosewheel door question - though there are a few walkarounds available that should show them clearly enough. But certainly the nose wheel leg itself is strengthened, with a flanged square section half-fork mounting the nosewheel. There is also a unique shimmy damper mounted on it which protrudes forward. The Tamiya F-15E metal leg is not a good representation at all, which is why the anticipated GT Resin correctly sized resin wheels with metal legs gear set looks like the best (soon) available solution.

nosegear.jpg

f-15e_33_of_39.jpg

f-15i_008_of_114.jpg

Hey everybody:

A question to the experts here.

I just had the chance to snatch a 1/32 F-15 Echo from Revell for a lousy five euros; the boxing depicts the green camoflaged F-15E prototype.

It would be nice if I could turn this thing into a F-15I Ra'am.

I know it's actually not a real F-15E possible and that it lacks drop tanks and correct pylons and cockpit. I usually take my time building models and am not in a hurry and a big part of the fun of the hobby is actually scratching something and coming up with ideas on how to fix something that isn't there on or in a kit in the first place and I figure a lot of stuff is available on the after market as well.

What would actually be a real turn off though would be any severe accuracy issues in shape. I sweeped the www and tried my luck on several forums but so far no luck with any decent review (guess that is because most tend to build the Tamiya kit but I don't see any reason for me to pay the premium prices in that case).

Can anybody here give any input or intel on how the old Revell kit is faring shapewise? Are there any major discrepancies?

In any case a big THANK YOU in advance to everyone taking the time for a reply.

First, sounds like you have an older kit so it reflects 71-0291 which is actually a TF-15, used by MickyDs as the e model demonstrator. The Initial boxing had Stencil Seats and NACA vents in place of Saber Drains on the engine bay panels. The kit is very accurate shape wise for a B Model with current incarnations brought up to D model standard with new wheels and seats with operational aircraft markings. Fairing behind the speed brake is still from a B model, panel lines reflect for the most a B Model.

It will take allot of work to make it into an F-15I Ra'am, better base would be the Tamiya E model. But if you want to go that route it can be done. Current I models had the GE Engines with composite Turkey Feathers on the nozzles, the E is the basis.

Cockpit has the initial configuration for the E Model Demonstrator so a little update on the IP's and consoles would work, change the combining glass on the HUD.

CFT's unless someone wants to pull out a caliper and show how many thousands of an inch they differ are all the same with the only difference is the armament type stations installed.

Have fun, I have a few in my collection along with the Tamiya kits, plan on building every tail I crewed over the years to include the I and S models.

Nice, accurate shape, cheap, all the makings of a fun kit, there are very few that would be able to find all the flaws, we are getting older but I remember someone telling me I forgot more about the Eagle then they knew, kind of liked that.

I Was a Crew Chief, Engines, Hydraulics, Crash Recovery, on F-15A,B,C,D,E, I,J and S models for 20+ years

"Each (F-15E) CFT is fitted with 2x3 weapon racks (note that all current F-15E CFT's are of type IV, earlier type CFT's are without weapon racks). The lower three pylons were moulded into a single, straight runner which contains 3 BRU-47/A racks. The upper three pylons feature BRU-46/A racks. The maximum payload for the upper pylons is 1100 pounds, the forward and aft lower pylons have a combined maximum load of 2200 pounds, while the middle lower pylon can hold up to 3300 pounds of weapon load".

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/fuel-system/91-conformal-fuel-tanks

I'm not sure of the nosewheel door question - though there are a few walkarounds available that should show them clearly enough. But certainly the nose wheel leg itself is strengthened, with a flanged square section half-fork mounting the nosewheel. There is also a unique shimmy damper mounted on it which protrudes forward. The Tamiya F-15E metal leg is not a good representation at all, which is why the anticipated GT Resin correctly sized resin wheels with metal legs gear set looks like the best (soon) available solution.

I think the main gear bulged forward doors are what was meant? CFT's are CFT's no difference except for armament configuration, same fuel load as well. We installed the shimmy dampers on the Nosegear of the E model in 99, the additional weight of the munitions cause the nose to shake more if slightly out of rig or nose tire was not uniform ally worn, unbalanced

I think the main gear bulged forward doors are what was meant? CFT's are CFT's no difference except for armament configuration, same fuel load as well. We installed the shimmy dampers on the Nosegear of the E model in 99, the additional weight of the munitions cause the nose to shake more if slightly out of rig or nose tire was not uniform ally worn, unbalanced

Thanks OCD - I can see now I misread the post to mean front gear door instead of front maingear doors.

Bushande, a photo and a couple of links to more of the same series. And as said before, the relevant Tamiya sprues can often be bought on eBay for between $15 to $20 depending on parts tree size. They aren't always available at all times, but I got my F-15C nose parts within about four weeks from deciding to try it to ordering them.

26051892335_7c30982195_o.jpg

and

Overbanking at the Roundabout

and

F-15E underside detail

That is such awesome feedback and intel everyone! Thanks to ton to all of you! Awesome.

O.k. i know it's gonna be a crap load of work but I think this is manageable. I know now the cockpit and IPs (thanks for the clarifiaction John) are at least close enough that I might risk scratching it towards an Echo cockpit and just buy the appropriate seats. If I screw up I can always try and get a resin pit. I had a look at the kit and actually the quality of the sprues doesn't seem that bad at all.

Thanks a lot chek and Dog, for the explation and the awesome reference. I appreciate it a lot. I figure I can draw from some real expertise here. fantastic! :woot.gif:/>

At least I know now that I don't need to change anything on the basic CFTs and their shape. I need to come up with an idea on how to render the racks though. Maybe I can track down an excess sprue in the bay?! And if not ... The racks do look complicated but I think that is somehow feasable. Let's see about that. The gear itself might not be a problem at all (though the intel is awesome for some other projects!). As the Revell kits are usually less detailed they are just predestined for in-flight renditions. I think if I keep the gear bay doors shut then, I might also be able to render that extra bulge in the doors with some putty and carefull snading and shaping. The reference shots are fantastic and will help a lot.

I'm still somewhat insecure about the difference behind the speed brake Ol' crew dog mentioned. I looked at some pictures of the back of some Echo Eagles and I can't really make out any difference in the basic shape. If it's "just" panel lines than that would be a manageable task as well. I don't particularly like rescribing but I don't mind it either.

I know that this will be something that will require a lot of attention, time and patience but as said that is actually quite a fun aspect in modelling for me.

The only real bugger now for me currently are the missing drop tanks. I know there are resin sets out there but maybe I can track down a possibly cheaper Tamiya sprue or someone has a spare tank?! Lets see.

Guys, one last question and than I'll leave you alone and stop bothering.

As far as research shows, it seems that the two drop tanks under the wings configuration with either a third tank or a big GBU under the belly is fairly common on modern Strike Eagles. I must admit that I like the look of a tank under the belly quite lot. If I should deside to strap just one tank under the belly (in case I can track something down) would it be possible to put some big GBU-24s, or an Israeli Popeye or the like under each wing station along some smaller bombs on the CFT racks? And if that should really be the case, would it still be possible to put on some AIM-120s and/or 'winders on the wing pylons as well or would they interfere with the GBUs on the pylons below them? I know it might be a rather unusual configuation. I still think the Strike Eagle is well capable of carrying it but I'm not sure if regulations and usability tests would allow for such a configuration, i.e. if the Strike Eagle would really be cleared for such a load. I don't want to do anything unrealistic.

Edited by bushande

There are a couple of walkarounds on Prime Portal that may answer some of your questions:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/carl_dennis/f-15i/

and

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_gershman/f-15i/

Some of my searches for IDFAF Phantoms have also turned up Israeli sites, which are usually in Hebrew.

Google translate in the Chrome browser is a big help there, and allows you to google things in Hebrew,

which don't show up in English language searches. You'll get the hang of the Hebrew terms you need quick enough.

It's the same with Russian aircraft - more shows up in the native language than in English.

And I dare say if you post a topic specifically on the F-15I iaf-man will show up sooner or later.

Isaac also posted one of those PP WAs and has contributed many terrific photos and his extensive local knowledge

to here and many other sites over the years.

Thanks again for the reply chek.

The links are great but I'm stll at a loss about the GBU-24s.

Thanks on the advice regarding research. Will try that and putting up a thread aout the F-15I might actually not be the worst of ideas. :thumbsup:

That is such awesome feedback and intel everyone! Thanks to ton to all of you! Awesome.

O.k. i know it's gonna be a crap load of work but I think this is manageable. I know now the cockpit and IPs (thanks for the clarifiaction John) are at least close enough that I might risk scratching it towards an Echo cockpit and just buy the appropriate seats. If I screw up I can always try and get a resin pit. I had a look at the kit and actually the quality of the sprues doesn't seem that bad at all.

Thanks a lot chek and Dog, for the explation and the awesome reference. I appreciate it a lot. I figure I can draw from some real expertise here. fantastic! :woot.gif:/>/>

At least I know now that I don't need to change anything on the basic CFTs and their shape. I need to come up with an idea on how to render the racks though. Maybe I can track down an excess sprue in the bay?! And if not ... The racks do look complicated but I think that is somehow feasable. Let's see about that. The gear itself might not be a problem at all (though the intel is awesome for some other projects!). As the Revell kits are usually less detailed they are just predestined for in-flight renditions. I think if I keep the gear bay doors shut then, I might also be able to render that extra bulge in the doors with some putty and carefull snading and shaping. The reference shots are fantastic and will help a lot.

I'm still somewhat insecure about the difference behind the speed brake Ol' crew dog mentioned. I looked at some pictures of the back of some Echo Eagles and I can't really make out any difference in the basic shape. If it's "just" panel lines than that would be a manageable task as well. I don't particularly like rescribing but I don't mind it either.

I know that this will be something that will require a lot of attention, time and patience but as said that is actually quite a fun aspect in modelling for me.

The only real bugger now for me currently are the missing drop tanks. I know there are resin sets out there but maybe I can track down a possibly cheaper Tamiya sprue or someone has a spare tank?! Lets see.

Guys, one last question and than I'll leave you alone and stop bothering.

As far as research shows, it seems that the two drop tanks under the wings configuration with either a third tank or a big GBU under the belly is fairly common on modern Strike Eagles. I must admit that I like the look of a tank under the belly quite lot. If I should deside to strap just one tank under the belly (in case I can track something down) would it be possible to put some big GBU-24s, or an Israeli Popeye or the like under each wing station along some smaller bombs on the CFT racks? And if that should really be the case, would it still be possible to put on some AIM-120s and/or 'winders on the wing pylons as well or would they interfere with the GBUs on the pylons below them? I know it might be a rather unusual configuation. I still think the Strike Eagle is well capable of carrying it but I'm not sure if regulations and usability tests would allow for such a configuration, i.e. if the Strike Eagle would really be cleared for such a load. I don't want to do anything unrealistic.

The speedb ale lays flat on the fuselage skin and I'd faired in on three sides, the aft fairing changed from A/B to C/D/E/I/S and late J/DJ.

Also aft of the speed brake the JFS chimney screen on the A/B/C/D have one bigger oval one, the E/I/S/SI and K have three smaller screens on either side of an avionics panel on the centerline.

Since the DRFD "E" demonstrator was originally a TB-15B FSD airframe, it would have originally had the small "prototype" speedbrake. I don't know if -291 had the larger "production" airbrake fitted for the DRFD phase. Which airbrake does the Revell kit depict?

The Revell air brake does at least in my eyes seem to represent the common, i.e. larger version. Only the fairings behin it seem to be different. But I'm not an F-15 expert and don't want to tell any lies.

Since the DRFD "E" demonstrator was originally a TB-15B FSD airframe, it would have originally had the small "prototype" speedbrake. I don't know if -291 had the larger "production" airbrake fitted for the DRFD phase. Which airbrake does the Revell kit depict?

When 71-0291 was the E demonstrator it had the full length speed brake and C/D wheels and no turkey feathers. I worked on it for just a few weeks. All F-15s had the long speed brake fitted by 1979, we had an old NASA F-15 fly in with the short speed rake but the was the finnie flight and she's on a pedestal at Langley.