Small Airplane Crash in the Hudson River?

Yeah Jones Beach is this weekend, I'm hearing that the pilot got out but haven't heard his condition.

Other rumor (since the news is still happening) that because of where the P-47 is that they are going to get it out because of it being a hazard to navigation.

Wondering if it was Jackie's Revenge since she's based at AAM.

Unfortunately the news that the pilot got out was not true. He tragically perished in the crash, and his body has been recovered. A friend of mine was in the photo ship photographing this flight. Rest in peace to the pilot and thoughts and prayers to all involved.

sad.gif

EDIT: Here's a L I N K

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

As some of you know, I'm a volunteer at the American Airpower Museum, and yes, it was our P-47, Jacky's Revenge. I'm up in NY for the show, and was there this evening when they departed, and when we received word about an hour later that he went down. It's been a long night, waiting to get confirmed information about the pilot's fate. It will be a sad weekend, but the museum will be open and the air show will continue.

JM_2010_05_29_HUTS_001-XL.jpg

:salute:/>

As some of you know, I'm a volunteer at the American Airpower Museum, and yes, it was our P-47, Jacky's Revenge. I'm up in NY for the show, and was there this evening when they departed, and when we received word about an hour later that he went down. It's been a long night, waiting to get confirmed information about the pilot's fate. It will be a sad weekend, but the museum will be open and the air show will continue.

JM_2010_05_29_HUTS_001-XL.jpg

:salute:/>/>

Please pass along condolences to all involved Moose

DSC_0336_zpsc1c0c7e8.jpg

Jusy saw it being pulled out on the news. The plane looked to be in amazingly good condition. I'm afraid the pilot was probably knocked unconscious during the landing and unable to get out. The blades certainly were not turning during touchdown. There was no evidence of rotational bending on the tips.

Edited by falcon20driver

The one picture clearly shows it floating initially aftet the ditching. He did an exceptional job ditching. I don't think you could ask for a better example of how to execute that. Unfortunately this time the sudden stop was just a bit too much. I have no attachment to this, but I think a fitting tribute would be to see it restored and renamed.

Edited by falcon20driver

Witnesses are saying the pilot got the canopy open after ditching, but was struggling with the harness when the plane went under. My condolences to the pilot's family and the museum. I commend him for doing a stellar job of putting the plane down without incurring any casualties on the ground.

Hopefully the plane will restorable. It doesn't look too bad from the outside at a distance, but there may be all kinds of things bent, torqued, and stressed on the inside. I'm sure it will need at the very least a complete teardown and rebuild. The NTSB/FAA will also need to do an investigation. The speculation is that he had engine trouble, which means I'm sure they'll thoroughly go through the engine and systems.

I was watching video of the recovery on the news tonight, and found it especially poignant that the pilot's helmet was still hanging out of the cockpit by the headset cord.

SN

Hopefully the plane will restorable. It doesn't look too bad from the outside at a distance, but there may be all kinds of things bent, torqued, and stressed on the inside. I'm sure it will need at the very least a complete teardown and rebuild. The NTSB/FAA will also need to do an investigation. The speculation is that he had engine trouble, which means I'm sure they'll thoroughly go through the engine and systems.

SN

From the recovery pictures, only the bottom blade of the prop was bent so that engine was not running when it crashed.

RIP William...

Witnesses are saying the pilot got the canopy open after ditching, but was struggling with the harness when the plane went under. My condolences to the pilot's family and the museum. I commend him for doing a stellar job of putting the plane down without incurring any casualties on the ground.

I was watching video of the recovery on the news tonight, and found it especially poignant that the pilot's helmet was still hanging out of the cockpit by the headset cord.

SN

In the pictures of the aircraft being lifted from the water, the pilots helmet is hanging from the canopy, I wonder if his helmet became entangled somehow. I'm surprised it stayed attached on the way up.

Sounds like he did a text book landing and was seen struggling to get out,